+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guinness 0%

International

Re: Guinness 0%

I don't understand why people think it's so good to go x number of years without an alcoholic drink . If you had to stop it was because you HAD to, not because you wanted to . Presumably because you couldn't control yourself.
    I will point out I'm using the word you as a generalisation not directly at someone.
    If you have the will power to leave something that you can't control then we'll done. But it's nothing to celebrate is it Shirley?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't understand why people think it's so good to go x number of years without an alcoholic drink . If you had to stop it was because you HAD to, not because you wanted to . Presumably because you couldn't control yourself.
    I will point out I'm using the word you as a generalisation not directly at someone.
    If you have the will power to leave something that you can't control then we'll done. But it's nothing to celebrate is it Shirley?
    I'm not an alcoholic. I'd say I binge if anything but have nowhere near what you'd call a problem, not even, it doesn't effect my work life or my family life and they are kept separate, but even now I start to wonder if I'd really be missing anything if I didn't drink, I only ever feel shit after a drink, it kicks off depression etc and I've juggled with the idea of not drinking on more than one occasion.

And if someone wants to celebrate being sober they can. Some right opinionated dicks on here lately.

Of course it is.
    It’s a massive achievement for some!!

No one HAS to give up. They make a choice. Some people can't or won't stop. Anyone that has a problem and comes out the other side having changed their life deserves respect. And some encouragement. Whether it's alcohol, drugs, gambling, spending, being in an abusive relationship or whatever. Don't be a dick.

Shut up you ****ing idiot.

People say “well done” to others who suffer from addiction and celebrate how long they are sober, clean, gamble free.etc to offer support and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Shut up you ****ing idiot.

People say “well done” to others who suffer from addiction and celebrate how long they are sober, clean, gamble free.etc to offer support and encouragement.
    He clearly no little about it…..

I have had life struggles with alcohol in my life but I still love a drink in a social situation.
    But I know when I have had enough now.
    If you have given up because alcohol was effecting your life good for you.
    I find Guinness with the alcohol is a great drink because it fills you up and then you realise enough is enough.
    Whatever you do good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Plenty around nowadays, great to see. I honestly think ( and hope ) that in 20 years we'll be looking back on our drinking culture like we do smoking.
    It will never be like it was….that culture has gone already I think

If you had an addiction of any kind and had managed to do without that addiction for any length of time, surely that is worth celebrating? It's not just about having will power, it's more than that. Some people find it incredibly difficult to give up something, some don't manage it even if they urgently need to. Anyone breaking that cycle richly deserves encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He clearly no little about it…..
    Absolutely. He should keep his mouth shut if he doesn’t understand. Counting the days, months and eventually years is what keeps addicts on the straight and narrow. It becomes almost an obsession. Why knock that?

I am a gambling addict. Always will be. But at the moment, touch wood, it’s under control.. Haven’t lost a big wedge for 2 years. Still bet the odd fiver In a group with my mates and maybe bet £10 a week on the football but no longer play roullette and it no longer consumes my life like it once did.

Personally I don’t count the days, months.etc since I last played roullette but I know it helps some people to count. Best of luck to people with addiction and whatever coping mechanisms they use.

I think that you show little understanding of addiction. I don't drink, not because I have a problem, but because I don't like it and I'm shit at it. I found that I turned into a bigger dick than normal after a few pints, so I thought, what's the point.
    Some people get addicted and apparently, it's one of the hardest things to come off, not to mention the problems it can cause in relationships and with work, kids, basically every aspect of life.

If anyone is beating the shit out of their addiction, then they have every right to shout if from the rooftops in my opinion. Good on them and even better for those who love them.

I stayed in the Ashling Hotel across the river from the Guinness factory in Dublin
    We were on the sixth floor and could see the workers inside the factory
    Point of this there’s a bar called Ryan’s which is about a hundred yards from the hotel on Parkgate Street
    I swear I have never had a better pint of Guinness EVER in my life and would go back tomorrow just to have another!!!
    As for drinking and the way this thread has spiralled I’d never preach to anyone
    Do what you want to do
    You don’t pay my bills
    I couldn’t give a toss
    Your sober
    Great
    Your choice
    Personally I only have a drink if there’s a letter ‘Y’ in that actual day of the week
    CHEERS 🍻 🍷

I am a gambling addict. Always will be. But at the moment, touch wood, it’s under control.. Haven’t lost a big wedge for 2 years. Still bet the odd fiver In a group with my mates and maybe bet £10 a week on the football but no longer play roullette and it no longer consumes my life like it once did.

Personally I don’t count the days, months.etc since I last played roullette but I know it helps some people to count. Best of luck to people with addiction and whatever coping mechanisms they use.
    Good on you, got a mate with the same issue…almost ruined him but now he runs his own business, has a misses and kid and is doing good. He wasn’t in control of his own finances but now he is. He knows it will be with him forever like all addicts.

That's fair enough mate but I think it would do you some good to educate yourself about addiction, particularly alcohol in this case. It cost me my marriage, my health and at one point the doctor told me I was going to die, as I was coughing up blood and my body was giving up on me.

I appreciate your comment was probably made about "normal" people that give up but I still think it's important to celebrate any positive change people make in their lives. There are many more people out there with alcohol problems than we'll ever know about, lockdown has made it a MASSIVE problem

Same mate, in fact I struggle to do anything in moderation. The fact I realise that now is a massive win

The comment xsnaggle made has pissed me off more than it probably should. What addiction can do is horrible, people go from family life good job and the occasional drink and maybe dabble in the coke then end up full on heroin addicts, no job and missus had taken the kids, throw in a gambling addiction, now seen asking people for tenners in the local area to buy more drugs.

Its a shock seeing someone like that after a few years. Had it all and now has nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The comment xsnaggle made has pissed me off more than it probably should. What addiction can do is horrible, people go from family life good job and the occasional drink and maybe dabble in the coke then end up full on heroin addicts, no job and missus had taken the kids, throw in a gambling addiction, now seen asking people for tenners in the local area to buy more drugs.

Its a shock seeing someone like that after a few years. Had it all and now has nothing.
    No point being angry mate. I appreciate how hard it is for people that haven't been through it to understand, in fact I don't think they ever really can

Same mate, in fact I struggle to do anything in moderation. The fact I realise that now is a massive win
    Same mate. I have an addictive personality. Drink, recreational drugs, gambling. I always do things to excess. Gambling was / is the one I was addicted to though. It consumed my life for about 12 years. Every waking minute if I wasn’t gambling I was thinking about it or how I get the money to get out of the hole id got myself into. The lies ive told are mental. Unlike drink or drugs you can hide a gambling addiction to a certain degree. Counting down the days until I’m debt free now it’s getting closer is what’s keeping me going. Got just over 2 years left on my last loan and I’m debt free.

No point being angry mate. I appreciate how hard it is for people that haven't been through it to understand, in fact I don't think they ever really can
    You are spot on

Same mate. I have an addictive personality. Drink, recreational drugs, gambling. I always do things to excess. Gambling was / is the one I was addicted to though. It consumed my life for about 12 years. Every waking minute if I wasn’t gambling I was thinking about it or how I get the money to get out of the hole id got myself into. The lies ive told are mental. Unlike drink or drugs you can hide a gambling addiction to a certain degree. Counting down the days until I’m debt free now it’s getting closer is what’s keeping me going. Got just over 2 years left on my last loan and I’m debt free.
    Amazing that you're coming out the other end now mate. Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

No point in letting it wind you up, it’s just naivety on his part. I dont know how anyone can be in this day and age though, I know countless alcoholics, drug addicts and a few gamblers…a few of those no longer with us and didn’t make 40. The rave scene ruined many. It’s very real and if you can overcome it it’s worthy of a big smile everyday.

Amazing that you're coming out the other end now mate. Brilliant
    Cheers mate.

Talking about it on forums is my coping mechanism. Find it easier than talking about it in person.

That’s why Snaggles comment annoyed me. Pissing on people’s chips. No need for it.

Cheers mate.

Talking about it on forums is my coping mechanism. Find it easier than talking about it in person.

That’s why Snaggles comment annoyed me. Pissing on people’s chips. No need for it.
    I’m sure he will apologise for it……

Cheers mate.

Talking about it definitely helps. I also volunteer for a charity called Recovery Cymru, giving back plays a massive part keep me on the straight and narrow