+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guinness 0%

Re: Guinness 0%

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Talking about it definitely helps. I also volunteer for a charity called Recovery Cymru, giving back plays a massive part keep me on the straight and narrow
    Well done mate 👍🏻

Well done to those in this thread turning their lives around from addiction. You have every right to feel proud of that.

Going back to the OP and 0% Guinness, I haven’t seen/tried it but I love an alcohol-free Erdinger or Clausthaler. There are loads of alcohol-free beers about now and new ones coming out all the time and are getting better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Well done to those in this thread turning their lives around from addiction. You have every right to feel proud of that.

Going back to the OP and 0% Guinness, I haven’t seen/tried it but I love an alcohol-free Erdinger or Clausthaler. There are loads of alcohol-free beers about now and new ones coming out all the time and are getting better IMO.
    When they first came out they were horrible. People have realised the size of the market and have started investing in it properly. Some lovely ones now, you're right

I've been alcohol free for a year now. Never had issues with alcohol just staying healthy. Gone veggie as well.
    I ve tried a few zeros but prefer Koppenberg zero. A couple of times at the beginning I had a headache the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Same mate. I have an addictive personality. Drink, recreational drugs, gambling. I always do things to excess. Gambling was / is the one I was addicted to though. It consumed my life for about 12 years. Every waking minute if I wasn’t gambling I was thinking about it or how I get the money to get out of the hole id got myself into. The lies ive told are mental. Unlike drink or drugs you can hide a gambling addiction to a certain degree. Counting down the days until I’m debt free now it’s getting closer is what’s keeping me going. Got just over 2 years left on my last loan and I’m debt free.
    well told good on you hope you can keep it going

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't understand why people think it's so good to go x number of years without an alcoholic drink . If you had to stop it was because you HAD to, not because you wanted to . Presumably because you couldn't control yourself.
    I will point out I'm using the word you as a generalisation not directly at someone.
    If you have the will power to leave something that you can't control then we'll done. But it's nothing to celebrate is it Shirley?
    Wow.I'm not looking for a punch up here cause they are not the worst comments I've ever read but they are possibly the most ignorant.Once your an alcoholic its with you for life and doesn't get easier the longer your sober.Your just one drink away from oblivion again.Understanding and encouragement from your peers does help.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The comment xsnaggle made has pissed me off more than it probably should. What addiction can do is horrible, people go from family life good job and the occasional drink and maybe dabble in the coke then end up full on heroin addicts, no job and missus had taken the kids, throw in a gambling addiction, now seen asking people for tenners in the local area to buy more drugs.

Its a shock seeing someone like that after a few years. Had it all and now has nothing.
    It was a bad comment

Even if you think falling into an addiction is someone's own fault, having a pop because someone is celebrating doing well is top tier ****ery. Anything good always needs to be celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Wow.I'm not looking for a punch up here cause they are not the worst comments I've ever read but they are possibly the most ignorant.Once your an alcoholic its with you for life and doesn't get easier the longer your sober.Your just one drink away from oblivion again.Understanding and encouragement from your peers does help.
    Having re- read his post properly it is extremely ignorant, doesn't get me angry but shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It was a bad comment

Even if you think falling into an addiction is someone's own fault, having a pop because someone is celebrating doing well is top tier ****ery. Anything good always needs to be celebrated.
    I just don't see the point if making it.

I just don't see the point if making it.
    I see the point. It's just not a good one.

Effectively "I don't become addicted because I choose not to, I don't need to celebrate" etc

I probably used to think similar to this way when I was younger. But after my partner has opened my eyes to the **** that happens around here I've totally flipped my mentality.

As is the Guinness. 💪🏻👊🏻
    it is another one to try adnams ghost ship

Having re- read his post properly it is extremely ignorant, doesn't get me angry but shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.
    This is common with xsnaggle. He'll often share an opinion on a subject that he has no knowledge or experience of, but as far as he's concerned it's just as valid as anyone else's because an opinion can't be wrong.

But of course it can be wrong, and he definitely is on this occasion.

We're all running our own race. What is a problem to one person is a walk in the park to another. Anyone who faces up to their own problem and gets the better of it, no matter what that may be, deserves support and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics.
    Arsehole.

Well done on the sobriety mate, you should be very proud.

I was never a fan of Guinness though as found it too heavy. I've really got into this Ghost Ship stuff recently.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Arsehole.

I was never a fan of Guinness though as found it too heavy. I've really got into this Ghost Ship stuff recently.
    ghost ship is a good one
    dont try st peter port its awfull

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Arsehole.

Thanks mate. Whisperer seems to be one of of those AA, there's only one route to sobriety type. Sad really because the fact that people recover should be the focus and not how they did it.

As someone that has struggled with alcohol issues in the past (and is now 5 years sober), Guinness was the only drink that I missed. Three only drink that I used to be able to drink and relax with.

Alcohol free drinks have been okay, Heineken is nice but this Guinness is a life changer. Just like the real stuff, beautiful. Two pints watching TV of an evening, lovely touch.
    Love Guinness and if I’m driving or whatever, look forward to trying the 0%. Better than having a coke innit.

Never got the Guinness fills you up thing though. Can drink lots of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Love Guinness and if I’m driving or whatever, look forward to trying the 0%. Better than having a coke innit.

Me too mate, slips down nicely haha

Genuinely hope that those doing well with their own particular demons and addictions keep doing well and it works out for them.

You only have to scratch the surface and those demons are either already in all of us or a family or personal crisis away from being uncovered as a coping mechanism.
    I also think that while some may not have a problem they sometimes wish they could drink a little less, maybe eat a little less or gamble a bit less cash. We're only human with all our flaws.

Well done to all on this thread for winning their battle. If people are struggling then posting here would be dealt with in right way I'm sure. CCMB excels in stuff like this. It isn't just anti board grumpy buggers like me. 😀

I'm sure many who drink have wished they hadn't or had drunk a few less when that hangover hits, they realise they've spent a shedload and can't remember half of the drinks or what they did coupled with the comedown and anxiety hitting.

You could insert recreational drugs with the same issues involved. Gambling is a different one but is clever in that it tailors to every income. You chase an amount that makes it exciting for you.

There is also the battle with giving up the beers and the like because it has always happened and is interwoven with what you do. Football especially.
    Beers pre City for example. I couldn't imagine not meeting my mates and having a few pints pre game etc but hats off to the people who still go and immerse yourselves in that culture while staying sober.

A lot of the triggers and temptations are all around us so it is far from easy.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

It's clichéd to say that it fills you up. You would sometimes hear people say "it's like a food"
    I could never drink 'lots' of any beer, seven pints was usually my lot, however, I could drink it as easily as any other beer.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm sure many who drink have wished they hadn't or had drunk a few less when that hangover hits, they realise they've spent a shedload and can't remember half of the drinks or what they did coupled with the comedown and anxiety hitting.

You could insert recreational drugs with the same issues involved. Gambling is a different one but is clever in that it tailors to every income. You chase an amount that makes it exciting for you.

There is also the battle with giving up the beers and the like because it has always happened and is interwoven with what you do. Football especially.
    Beers pre City for example. I couldn't imagine not meeting my mates and having a few pints pre game etc but hats off to the people who still go and immerse yourselves in that culture while staying sober.

A lot of the triggers and temptations are all around us so it is far from easy.
    An alcoholic never truly recovers, they are always just one drink away from being reunited with the demons of their past.
    Sometimes it's like having an itch and not being able to scratch (yes, I talk from experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    An alcoholic never truly recovers, they are always just one drink away from being reunited with the demons of their past.
    Sometimes it's like having an itch and not being able to scratch (yes, I talk from experience).
    I firmly believe you.

I've never been at that level and hope I never am but it is easier than some think to end up in that situation. I've lost relatives to alcohol.

I'm sure many reading this thread can relate to vices and things they did at some point in their life that started out as a laugh and were fun but stopped being fun when it hit a certain level. I know I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Agreed, I personally think that alcohol free drinks really help scratch that itch without it becoming an itch that causes a hell of a lot of problems

Agreed, I personally think that alcohol free drinks really help scratch that itch without it becoming an itch that causes a hell of a lot of problems
    Each to their own but I find the itch for a pint is for the alcoholic content rather than the motion of having a pint, so personally I'd go for the coke, although I don't think alcohol tastes particularly good and only drink it as a means to unwind and get drunk, I don't see the point of "having 1 or 2" after work either I'd rsrher not drink the 2 pints and have a coke.

Weird how we're all so different init.

Each to their own but I find the itch for a pint is for the alcoholic content rather than the motion of having a pint, so personally I'd go for the coke, although I don't think alcohol tastes particularly good and only drink it as a means to unwind and get drunk, I don't see the point of "having 1 or 2" after work either I'd rsrher not drink the 2 pints and have a coke.

Weird how we're all so different init.
    Yeah different strokes for different folks mate. I still have the habit 5 years later. Always, and I mean always have a drink in my hand. It's my comfort blanket, it's weird haha