+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guinness 0%

Re: Guinness 0%

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Yeah different strokes for different folks mate. I still have the habit 5 years later. Always, and I mean always have a drink in my hand. It's my comfort blanket, it's weird haha
    Think mine is staring at my phone mate! We all have something!

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    it is another one to try adnams ghost ship
    Thanks mate, will take a look

Just gone to buy some and it’s more expensive than the real stuff even with minimum alcohol pricing and sugar tax.

Surely this sort of drink should be encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Just gone to buy some and it’s more expensive than the real stuff even with minimum alcohol pricing and sugar tax.

Surely this sort of drink should be encouraged
    I got 4 cans for £3.50. 🤷🏻

Agreed, I personally think that alcohol free drinks really help scratch that itch without it becoming an itch that causes a hell of a lot of problems
    What I find with non-alcohol/ultra low alcohol drinks is that it takes me roughly the same time to drink two bottles of them as it did to have four or five 'normal' drinks.

Going tee-total has undoubtedly given me a new.lease of life though. I had a bit of a look at myself a few years ago when I realised that although I am a good bloke, I can easily turn into something else when I went over the limit. Fortunately, I've never been violent to neither man, woman or child but nonetheless decided to give it up when I was on the cusp of being violent to my lady one evening.

That was a terrible night but it's bred something much better because we're closer than ever and I'm much, much healthier for it physically and mentally. Saying that, barely a day goes by that I don't think about having a few pints but then I pull myself together after weighing up what I could lose from it.

Every man who truly wants to come through an addiction will do it. My own personal rule is "I'm not going to bother having a drink today". The day quickly turns into a week, a couple of months then a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    What I find with non-alcohol/ultra low alcohol drinks is that it takes me roughly the same time to drink two bottles of them as it did to have four or five 'normal' drinks.

Going tee-total has undoubtedly given me a new.lease of life though. I had a bit of a look at myself a few years ago when I realised that although I am a good bloke, I can easily turn into something else when I went over the limit. Fortunately, I've never been violent to neither man, woman or child but nonetheless decided to give it up when I was on the cusp of being violent to my lady one evening.

That was a terrible night but it's bred something much better because we're closer than ever and I'm much, much healthier for it physically and mentally. Saying that, barely a day goes by that I don't think about having a few pints but then I pull myself together after weighing up what I could lose from it.

Every man who truly wants to come through an addiction will do it. My own personal rule is "I'm not going to bother having a drink today". The day quickly turns into a week, a couple of months then a couple of years.
    I drink them slower, mainly because I used to drink to get slaughtered and the taste didn't matter.

Good on you for quitting..I used to turn into a complete twat when drinking, selfish, self obsessed wanker. I'm still like that somedays sober but I'm less likely to make a decision that I'll regret for the rest of my life or end up in a police cell.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

Well done Bill. Not easy to admit what you just did to a forum full of strangers.

Glad it’s worked out for you and your marriage. I don’t know how I’ve managed to stay married tbh but we are still together and hopefully will come through the other side.

I think alcohol tastes like battery acid

Don't even like the smell of the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think alcohol tastes like battery acid

Don't even like the smell of the stuff
    Luckily this is alcohol free then. 🤣

Luckily this is alcohol free then. 🤣
    If it tastes like an alcoholic drink then it's a no no

Barbican alcohol free lager ?

Death

If it tastes like an alcoholic drink then it's a no no

Barbican alcohol free lager ?

Death
    Haha it does mate. I love the taste of Guinness and the texture so it's a win for me

Haha it does mate. I love the taste of Guinness and the texture so it's a win for me
    Enjoy mate

Enjoy mate
    👍🏻👍🏻👊🏻👊🏻

Well my story is that I didn't clean up and get sober because I had a few bad weekends or i didn't like the way I was acting, drink & drugs was a fecking nightmare that lasted for 25 years. I had never heard of getting sober for the first 20 years.

I started drinking and getting high in the bus shelters and train stations at age 11 drinking flagons of cider and i was a useless drinker couldn't handle it, obnoxious, argumentative and loved picking fights and causing trouble, you know the type. Then one day I discovered Black Bombers wow I could drink with the big boys and off I went into another bender that lasted a decade.

I won't bore you with a drug-a-log but there's not many i can think of that I ain't tasted apart from glue and sniffing petrol which just didn't interest me.

I done my first detox in East Harlem when I was messing around in NYC in 1997 and the NA and AA fellowship came into talk to us and when I left the hospital I attended a few meetings and I suppose from that day on I knew there was another way to live life. It took me another 3 years to get into a detox in London by this time i was smashed to bits...regularly attending soup kitchens, picking buts up of the floor, begging and all the rest of it.

I remember one time I was going to score some smack & crack across town on the tube, I used to wear a little Cardiff City pin and I bumped into a fella with his son who had a city shirt on and they were on the way back from an away game it was the happiest day of that year because it took me back to times when I was okay with myself and i give the little kid my pin. I also remember the Geordie s down for the FA cup and some of them give me some change.

NYE 2000 was the night that something changed inside, deep down in my sub-conscience after 25 years of using boozing and abusing my desire was to go back into detox and go back to the meetings. I got my first day sober in September 2000 and have not had a mood altering chemical since...I ended up working for 15 years in a detox center and seen even more horrors than I had been through, but I also came across program people who after many years picked up a glass of shandy or an over the counter Nurofen plus who could never get back to a day sober.

So I take my recovery really ****ing seriously and will make no apologies for it, for me alcohol free beer is what i call tickling the devils bollox and I avoid it at all costs, to be honest I really can't see the point of it, I'm a lime and soda man these days.

I do agree with Underhill that there's different ways of staying stopped but 12 step is the most successful treatment program worldwide. we are all different but real alcoholism and addiction is the same and needs treating.

Today I live a fantastic simple life I still go to meetings because someone has to be there when someone new walks through the door and needs a cup of coffee and a chat which is second nature these days.

I look back and tell folk that I only ever had two blackouts the 80s & the 90s

I wish everyone well in their recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Well my story is that I didn't clean up and get sober because I had a few bad weekends or i didn't like the way I was acting, drink & drugs was a fecking nightmare that lasted for 25 years. I had never heard of getting sober for the first 20 years.

I started drinking and getting high in the bus shelters and train stations at age 11 drinking flagons of cider and i was a useless drinker couldn't handle it, obnoxious, argumentative and loved picking fights and causing trouble, you know the type. Then one day I discovered Black Bombers wow I could drink with the big boys and off I went into another bender that lasted a decade.

I won't bore you with a drug-a-log but there's not many i can think of that I ain't tasted apart from glue and sniffing petrol which just didn't interest me.

I done my first detox in East Harlem when I was messing around in NYC in 1997 and the NA and AA fellowship came into talk to us and when I left the hospital I attended a few meetings and I suppose from that day on I knew there was another way to live life. It took me another 3 years to get into a detox in London by this time i was smashed to bits...regularly attending soup kitchens, picking buts up of the floor, begging and all the rest of it.

I remember one time I was going to score some smack & crack across town on the tube, I used to wear a little Cardiff City pin and I bumped into a fella with his son who had a city shirt on and they were on the way back from an away game it was the happiest day of that year because it took me back to times when I was okay with myself and i give the little kid my pin. I also remember the Geordie s down for the FA cup and some of them give me some change.

NYE 2000 was the night that something changed inside, deep down in my sub-conscience after 25 years of using boozing and abusing my desire was to go back into detox and go back to the meetings. I got my first day sober in September 2000 and have not had a mood altering chemical since...I ended up working for 15 years in a detox center and seen even more horrors than I had been through, but I also came across program people who after many years picked up a glass of shandy or an over the counter Nurofen plus who could never get back to a day sober.

So I take my recovery really ****ing seriously and will make no apologies for it, for me alcohol free beer is what i call tickling the devils bollox and I avoid it at all costs, to be honest I really can't see the point of it, I'm a lime and soda man these days.

I do agree with Underhill that there's different ways of staying stopped but 12 step is the most successful treatment program worldwide. we are all different but real alcoholism and addiction is the same and needs treating.

Today I live a fantastic simple life I still go to meetings because someone has to be there when someone new walks through the door and needs a cup of coffee and a chat which is second nature these days.

Well done mate. You’ve shared snippets of your story before it before but never in that depth. You were probably the first person on these forums to offer me some words of advice with addiction and I don’t forget it. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well done mate. You’ve shared snippets of your story before it before but never in that depth. You were probably the first person on these forums to offer me some words of advice with addiction and I don’t forget it. ����
    Thanks Hartley....I thought about our chats when I was reading about how far you have come in your recovery, your family must be made up.

Thanks Hartley....I thought about our chats when I was reading about how far you have come in your recovery, your family must be made up.
    Ive been very fortunate the family being there for me. Not just my missus, but parents too. I realise everyone not so lucky To have that support.. My old man offered to pay my remaining debts the other day but he did that once before and I racked up new debt so I rejected the offer. I just want to finish paying myself and then start a clean slate.

Top man

Keep on that road mate 👍

Inspirational mate, you really are.

We may disagree on alcohol free drinks but your story is an inspiration to me to continue along the sobriety path that I'm on.

Quite a life there whisperer, like what you equate drinking alcohol free beer too, I guess it’s sailing a bit too close to the real thing for those who can’t afford to step over the blurry line?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Quite a life there whisperer, like what you equate drinking alcohol free beer too, I guess it’s sailing a bit too close to the real thing for those who can’t afford to step over the blurry line?
    I can't afford to step over the blurry line, it would cost me my job, fiancé and sanity. Alcohol free drinks don't pose a threat to me though. I can see where Whisperer is coming from but a one size fits all approach to sobriety is a dangerous road to go down.

I don't care how people get sober, as long as they do, and they maintain their sobriety.

I thought he gave closer to 100% in the last two games, and should definitely start against the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I thought he gave closer to 100% in the last two games, and should definitely start against the Jacks.
    🤦🏼😂

Just trying the zero Guinness now, it is decent, very close to the real stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just trying the zero Guinness now, it is decent, very close to the real stuff.
    👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻