+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of you Cardiff City detractors actually went to the game today?

Re: Which of you Cardiff City detractors actually went to the game today?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I joke with the one lad I go with regularly that a City game day is usually a cracking day spoiled by the 90 minutes on many occasions.

Football has changed a lot though. A lot of City characters have dropped off. Football has become sanitised.

It has changed for me. It doesn't have the same level of feeling any more.
    The move to the new ground, the owner, the change of rules basically eliminating the physicality of the game, reaching the Premier League after dreaming for so long for it to be crap. A lot of reasons really.
    Funny, whilst I certainly didn't enjoy being the underdogs for 38 PL matches, the atmosphere and drama with a 34,000 crowd felt like we were where we belonged. Having watched a couple of PL games at the Liberty plus another 4 or 5 other grounds when we were in the PL. I'd have to say the CCS was by far the noisiest .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Funny, whilst I certainly didn't enjoy being the underdogs for 38 PL matches, the atmosphere and drama with a 34,000 crowd felt like we were where we belonged. Having watched a couple of PL games at the Liberty plus another 4 or 5 other grounds when we were in the PL. I'd have to say the CCS was by far the noisiest .
    I had the opposite feeling with it.
    We felt like we were on a one season PL tour. When we went to many places, while it was a big day for us the likes of Anfield, Goodison and a few more were like morgues.

It also felt like we had a few rent a fan types who would be gone as soon as our relegation was confirmed and all the so called big clubs had rolled out of town. It had the same feeling your Wales games at the Millennium Stadium had when England, Brazil or Germany played there. Fans there just for the event. Maybe that would change if we stayed in the league a bit longer but it seemed many had tickets to see the stars of other teams rather than back City. Having our @rses handed to us regularly wasn't great either and the feeling we could have given it a better go on both PL visits.

We felt like we were on a one season PL tour. When we went to many places, while it was a big day for us the likes of Anfield, Goodison and a few more were like morgues.

It also felt like we had a few rent a fan types who would be gone as soon as our relegation was confirmed and all the so called big clubs had rolled out of town. It had the same feeling your Wales games at the Millennium Stadium had when England, Brazil or Germany played there. Fans there just for the event. Maybe that would change if we stayed in the league a bit longer but it seemed many had tickets to see the stars of other teams rather than back City. Having our @rses handed to us regularly wasn't great either and the feeling we could have given it a better go on both PL visits.
    I'm of the same opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Aint that the truth.

And wear man bags if it takes their fancy as well..
    Of course , although they will need to be searched

I was a regular at home games from 1978 to 2018 when I gave up my season ticket. The reason for that was that a lot of games were not on a Saturday afternoon and as I moved about 110 miles from Cardiff in 2007 I had to travel in by train, so evening games were out. (No trains back after 9pm). At first it was unimaginable that I would not be going to watch the City regularly so I got some Flexitickets.

These are ok but it meant that at each attendance I would be in a different seat and I felt like a “Johnny come lately” sitting with regulars who you don't know, unlike when you have your own dedicated seat and get to know the blokes around you. It seems that with time I simply got out of the habit of going to matches altogether – maybe that's the case for others who stopped going because of COVID – will they return in the same numbers as pre-COVID I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Aint that the truth.

And wear man bags if it takes their fancy as well..
    just not in front of sludgey, if you have any sense

I agree, the atmosphere even for the "lesser" games was great. I also felt as a club we didn't look out of place

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I was a regular at home games from 1978 to 2018 when I gave up my season ticket. The reason for that was that a lot of games were not on a Saturday afternoon and as I moved about 110 miles from Cardiff in 2007 I had to travel in by train, so evening games were out. (No trains back after 9pm). At first it was unimaginable that I would not be going to watch the City regularly so I got some Flexitickets.

These are ok but it meant that at each attendance I would be in a different seat and I felt like a “Johnny come lately” sitting with regulars who you don't know, unlike when you have your own dedicated seat and get to know the blokes around you. It seems that with time I simply got out of the habit of going to matches altogether – maybe that's the case for others who stopped going because of COVID – will they return in the same numbers as pre-COVID I wonder?
    I don't think they'll fully recover. When I was younger, Cardiff City was 99% of my life. All my money, time and effort went into following them home and away.

I grew older, got a fiancé I'm committed to, stopped drinking, and the City slipped down my priority list.

Two more big factors for me were leaving Ninian Park and the rebrand.

The rebrand in particular killed a lot of my passion for the club, and for some of my fellow fans. It became less and less a club I could relate to and more of a hollow, glory hunting shell.

When I was 19 I broke my tibia, fibula and dislocated my ankle. Within two weeks I was back in the Bob Bank on crutches. At 41 a grade 3 tear of my calf has kept me away for weeks. Partly because I'm older and partly because my full recovery is more of a priority than the football.

Circumstances change, and sadly the club has changed massively over the past 10 years too.

I'm sure many other clubs will be in similar situations due to Covid, but my love for Cardiff City, and it's priority status in my life has been slowly eroded away over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I travelled down from London and I reckon many of you so called supporters do not attend much and watch only from your armchairs. You claim to support the team - in my book, unless you live overseas there is no excuse not to attend live games.
    That shows a total lack of empathy. What about people who are too ill or elderly, who ordinarily would love to attend matches, but can't for health or other reasons?

I fall into a different category. I didn't attend today as each match costs me approaching £350 with fuel, hotel and food costs and for the first time in my life I have decided to be far more selective in attending matches. Although I'm not a particular detractor of the club I have supported since 1958 through the dark days in Division 4 right up to the present day, I have to wonder whether I can continue to justify attending matches and spending that kind of money only to find when I get to the Stadium the entertainment on offer is dire.

I am sure there are plenty of others who have their own reasons for not attending matches on a regular basis but maintain an interest in the club through the forum. Such people are perfectly entitled to their opinions and don't need to attend matches to understand the issues currently being faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That shows a total lack of empathy. What about people who are too ill or elderly, who ordinarily would love to attend matches, but can't for health or other reasons?

I fall into a different category. I didn't attend today as each match costs me approaching £350 with fuel, hotel and food costs and for the first time in my life I have decided to be far more selective in attending matches. Although I'm not a particular detractor of the club I have supported since 1958 through the dark days in Division 4 right up to the present day, I have to wonder whether I can continue to justify attending matches and spending that kind of money only to find when I get to the Stadium the entertainment on offer is dire.

I am sure there are plenty of others who have their own reasons for not attending matches on a regular basis but maintain an interest in the club through the forum. Such people are perfectly entitled to their opinions and don't need to attend matches to understand the issues currently being faced.
    100% mate. Life isn't as black and white as some would like to think it is.

No excuses for not going if you are fit and able.My sister got married in the 80's and i had enough time to get down the city before kick off. My mother and sister were none too happy but on the plus side i was the best dressed bloke on the bob bank.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    No excuses for not going if you are fit and able.My sister got married in the 80's and i had enough time to get down the city before kick off. My mother and sister were none too happy but on the plus side i was the best dressed bloke on the bob bank.
    😄

Against the 'big 6/7' you def. were aware of the camp followers around. But you actually get a similar effect at those grounds as well. Even in the 90's I was given [good] tickets to go to Anfield, a ground where you'd expect a completely loyal and partisan crowd, yet it was full of people taking photos. I think it is something you'd get used to - given the chance !

People can’t admit that they no longer associate with football because it’s become very focused on being family friendly

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

I travelled down(?) from London and I reckon many of you so called supporters do not attend much and watch only from your armchairs. You claim to support the team - in my book, unless you live overseas there is no excuse not to attend live games.
    By plane, train or automobile?

How much extra did you spend yesterday than us part-time supporters?

... someone may be interested

Against the 'big 6/7' you def. were aware of the camp followers around. But you actually get a similar effect at those grounds as well. Even in the 90's I was given [good] tickets to go to Anfield, a ground where you'd expect a completely loyal and partisan crowd, yet it was full of people taking photos. I think it is something you'd get used to - given the chance !
    Yeah. It takes more than one season.
    The occasionals who are there for the stars then start thinking our team is half decent and start backing us.

We need to get there and stay there though. That seems a world away from where we are at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    People can’t admit that they no longer associate with football because it’s become very focused on being family friendly
    That's just a small part of it.

Football 10, 20 years ago seemed to have more soul than it does now. Maybe the changes needed to happen. It doesn't mean you've got to pretend you like the changes if you don't.

I didn't go to the game ( or watch it for that matter ), thus ive not joined in on the " we were rubbish / mick out " posts

I coach grassroots girls football on a Saturday, yesterday I was stood in monsoon like rain trying my best to effect a game that the girls were cold and soaking wet and honestly most were uninterested, I did change the game, 1/2 time ( 1-0 down ) I said " get your coats on, lets go home " they all looked bemused and I said " if you can't be arsed to put the effort in, I'm jumping in my van and going home " fair play to them, a completely different team and we won 1-3

now when we don't have a game and city are at home, you will see me with a couple of my players making my way to the ground, I don't mind shelling out a 10'er each for them to join me and my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I didn't go to the game ( or watch it for that matter ), thus ive not joined in on the " we were rubbish / mick out " posts

I coach grassroots girls football on a Saturday, yesterday I was stood in monsoon like rain trying my best to effect a game that the girls were cold and soaking wet and honestly most were uninterested, I did change the game, 1/2 time ( 1-0 down ) I said " get your coats on, lets go home " they all looked bemused and I said " if you can't be arsed to put the effort in, I'm jumping in my van and going home " fair play to them, a completely different team and we won 1-3

now when we don't have a game and city are at home, you will see me with a couple of my players making my way to the ground, I don't mind shelling out a 10'er each for them to join me and my daughter
    Well done for changing the game

I travelled down from London and I reckon many of you so called supporters do not attend much and watch only from your armchairs. You claim to support the team - in my book, unless you live overseas there is no excuse not to attend live games.
    The arrogance of this though. I went to the game, I go to most home games but I live just round the corner and I'm lucky enough that I can afford a season ticket. You have no idea what people's personal circumstances are, their finances, their family situation, their physical or mental health, who the hell are you to come on here and say there's no excuse to not go unless you live abroad.

It's the same with the Welsh football discussions on here, you pile in telling people they what they should and should not be chatting about, I don't know who you think you are but your arrogance is mindblowing. Wind your neck in and stay in your lane

Well said Delmbox
    I live in Grangetown
    I gave my ticket away yesterday and for the West Brom game.
    The thought of trudging down Sloper Road getting soaked to sit in the cold watching such dire football is enough to tip any sane person over the edge mentally.
    I sat in front of a nice toasty log fire with a glass of Red
    I actually won nearly £500
    this week betting against my team
    £412.50 in a four timer and I had £20 on Reading yesterday at 3/1
    Do I feel guilty
    Feck no 💷👍

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Well said Delmbox
    I live in Grangetown
    I gave my ticket away yesterday and for the West Brom game.
    The thought of trudging down Sloper Road getting soaked to sit in the cold watching such dire football is enough to tip any sane person over the edge mentally.
    I sat in front of a nice toasty log fire with a glass of Red
    I actually won nearly £500
    this week betting against my team
    £412.50 in a four timer and I had £20 on Reading yesterday at 3/1
    Do I feel guilty
    Feck no ����
    Before yesterday City were 22/1 to be relegated. I toyed with the idea of laying a bet, but my conscious got the better of me. As for sitting in front of a fire drinking a glass or two or red, I'd prefer to be out and about even on a grotty night with a poor team. I can stop inside the other 6 days of the week if I wish.

I should imagine leaving the Mrs with the kids for half a day on the weekend so you can spend time and money on yourself might be pretty tough for some people. But that nice for you that you have the time and recourses to travel down from London every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The arrogance of this though. I went to the game, I go to most home games but I live just round the corner and I'm lucky enough that I can afford a season ticket. You have no idea what people's personal circumstances are, their finances, their family situation, their physical or mental health, who the hell are you to come on here and say there's no excuse to not go unless you live abroad.

It's the same with the Welsh football discussions on here, you pile in telling people they what they should and should not be chatting about, I don't know who you think you are but your arrogance is mindblowing. Wind your neck in and stay in your lane
    Yup, well said indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Unless you work shifts, family occasions holidays, etc
    There's a post on another forum which is very close to this title and a sticky
    Detractors my arse'
    You must be a superfan