+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players just aren’t good enough

Players just aren’t good enough

They never were, they were just well drilled and fought for every ball. Our strength in defence has become one of our biggest liabilities and now relegation has become a real possibility.

Waiting for youth to come good is a risky strategy even though Bowen did look OK today

Next 4 games

Swansea
    Fulham
    Boro
    Stoke

Could be in a real scrap after that

Re: Players just aren’t good enough

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    They never were, they were just well drilled and fought for every ball. Our strength in defence has become one of our biggest liabilities and now relegation has become a real possibility.

Waiting for youth to come good is a risky strategy even though Bowen did look OK today

Next 4 games

Swansea
    Fulham
    Boro
    Stoke

We are already in a real scrap.

Confidence is bound to be a big issue but yes we haven’t really brought in any quality in key areas and loaning out the likes of Whyte and Murphy didn’t help.

The title of this thread sums up the whole proven at Cardiff right now - a lot of our players are simply not good enough. The problem is - there's no money available to sign any more, and this might persists until next summer.

Tactics are the main problem. Should have won yday with amount of shots we had. But we had Bacuna and Giles on the wrong sides so they hesitate before shooting.

I disagree, I think individually most of them are decent Championship players but their all too similar to function effectively as a team

Next 4 games

Swansea
    Fulham
    Boro
    Stoke

This is exactly what people were saying when Harris was in charge and things were going wrong.

The squad is full of Championship standard players who may even be able to play above that level (see NML, Bamba and Junior under Warnock).

Motivating them to play as a team for a prolonged period is the trick and that that requires a decent manager. Harris was clearly never good enough, and that was clear from day one and Mick’s days look numbered.

The wider issue is the petulance of footballers with contracts, who down tools on a regular basis. And we are not the only club to suffer from this sort of churlishness.

Absolutely true, let's face it, we're not overburdened by talent. We haven't been for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Confidence is bound to be a big issue but yes we haven’t really brought in any quality in key areas and loaning out the likes of Whyte and Murphy didn’t help.
    There will be many reasons for are current mess but loaning out Murphy and Whyte aren't among them. In the case of Murphy we have brought in a better player in Giles in the case of Whtyte he hardly played for us and was very ordinary when he did.

Personally I think we have a good enough squad to challenge for the playoffs it just that MM is making a pigs ear of managing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    There will be many reasons for are current mess but loaning out Murphy and Whyte aren't among them. In the case of Murphy we have brought in a better player in Giles in the case of Whtyte he hardly played for us and was very ordinary when he did.

Personally I think we have a good enough squad to challenge for the playoffs it just that MM is making a pigs ear of managing us.
    I’m not big fans of either personally but keeping them would have at least gave us options to mix things up. We also lost Ojo, Wilson and Hoilett so I don’t think brining in just Giles was enough.

I think a team can be fashioned from the squad that plays decent football and can win games even factoring in the summer departures which were likely due to cost cutting.

I'm just not sure if Mick and TC are capable of developing that team. A few weeks ago Mick was bigging up his work with our strikers. Well it looks like he's been on leave ever since because offensively we have been toothless for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The title of this thread sums up the whole proven at Cardiff right now - a lot of our players are simply not good enough. The problem is - there's no money available to sign any more, and this might persists until next summer.
    Can I ask a serious question off that?
    Why isn’t there any money?

I don’t get that bit. Vincent Tan is still in charge.
    Has he lost a shit tonne of money or something?

He provided a lot of money to get you into the PL so why isn’t there money now?
    Or did the parachute payments screw the structure or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Can I ask a serious question off that?
    Why isn’t there any money?

I don’t get that bit. Vincent Tan is still in charge.
    Has he lost a shit tonne of money or something?

He provided a lot of money to get you into the PL so why isn’t there money now?
    Or did the parachute payments screw the structure or something.
    I doubt the pandemic has helped .

I would take a bet that Vincent Tan's business back in Malaysia has taken a real hammering during Covid. That said, I don't understand why he has interests in so many clubs. Getting Cardiff to the Premier, and keeping them their, would be much more high profile, and can so much more money, than faffing about with a handful of teams that are all going nowhere.

The main reason why there isn't any money is any money being pumped in is covering the difference between income and expenditure rather than being investment money.

We have been badly run for many years where we are spending big money, often on duds, and are not generating any saleable or resalable players.

The players are good enough to easily finish mid-table in this division. The coaching, tactics and game-management are the problem.

Some good seasoned pros at this level, it's a good enough squad to have a bang average mid table sort of finish. Was never a top 6 squad, it wasn't last season even with the extra quality it had.

I only wish the board would be more transparent with the fan base, speak about what's happening a bit more than the wall of silence we often have.

Form and confidence is a concern and when the rot sets in, few teams are above the threat of relegation.

I don't think MM has lost the players based on Reading but we are conceding goals and not scoring them, eventually we have to let him go.

Unfortunately for us it will be another short term appointment to rescue us.

We really needed MM to see out last season on his initial contract and bring someone else in for the new season.

Bit of a cycle this which will be broken one way or another.

Next 4 games

Swansea
    Fulham
    Boro
    Stoke

They are not the best players I've seen in a city shirt but I can't believe that all of them are not good enough.
    I think it's more to do with the tactics and coaching is not good enough.
    They look bewildered about what the gamelan is sometimes and you have to look at management when that happens.