+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Released

Re: Tomlin Released

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Got to look beyond his fitness if he has hidden issues, yes he may have been overweight and it looks unprofessional as a pro but surely we need to look at the reason why before passing comment? Nothing against matt who is obviously a decent fella from history, know he's taken time to message me in the past so I wasn't meaning to be harsh to the fella, got carried away with other posters as it was getting to me tbh because people seem to be taking the easy route to pass comment.

I wrote out another message about my own personal situation but I've deleted it as I started to ramble, but mental health puts you in some situations a stronger minded person may deal with better and things don't end up escalating. But it's never simple.
    Spot on mate, some of the replies here... **** me. Given this place has an average age of about 74 I'm not surprised to see the poor attitude towards mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    £19k to £20k a year man anyone work out the per game cost yet
    @ 20k it works out at £80k / game or £14.60 per second

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    A great player when fit and wanting to play football, he was in the top % in the EFL in that aspect, could change a game in a blink of a eye and made it look so easy

a real shame though he had his fitness issues, now when he came back from his injury he really was a fat bloke, something like you see waddling down the road from having a afternoon session down the pub, it was a disgrace, I know he was injured, but the club would have seen this happening and told him to watch what he ate, he made the decision to eat what he liked and way too much of it, which to me is very unprofessional

was it a coincidence that when his contract was up for renewal he seemed to get his head right and stay fit and slim, as son as the contract was signed he put the weight back on, this wasn't just at our club either, its been a pattern to his career

but when fit and slim he would have been the 1st player on the team sheet at most EFL teams
    The problem is that he has never been a ‘great player’. Great players play well regularly and in top flight football. He did neither.

A lot has been written about Tomlin here.

Irrespective of all his issues, I still want to know how a professional footballer can end up in this shape when under contract:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tweet-20325782

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    @ 20k it works out at £80k / game or £14.60 per second
    At 20k a year, wouldn’t 80k equate to four games in four years? Or am I missing something?

A talent who regrettably never fulfilled his potential on the pitch, I loved watching Lee on his day. I wish him well and hope he finds peace in his next venture.

Regarding the contracts given to him by the club, its a reasonable question to ask whether a properly run football club would have allowed this situation to develop; 57 appearances in over 4 years for an expensive asset tells its own story.

Unique Sports Management, seemingly Neil Warnock’s favourite agency for some reason, have run rings around the Cardiff City ‘transfer committee’ with the various contracts, loans and pay-offs. And good luck to them, as others have said it’s not fair to blame the player for the incompetence of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    At 20k a year, wouldn’t 80k equate to four games in four years? Or am I missing something?
    20 k a week obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20 k a week obviously
    thats not including the original transfer fee, any bonuses earned or any loan fees we received for him, or any wages contributions we had for him when he was on loan

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Irrespective of all his issues, I still want to know how a professional footballer can end up in this shape when under contract:

"ignoring his mental health"

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20 k a week obviously
    I thought something was amiss.

"ignoring his mental health"
    The thing is, if he didn't post quite so many Instagram stories from his holidays in Dubai or TikToks dancing in front of his Lamborghini then people might have more sympathy for him.

But you would never understand that

The thing is, if he didn't post quite so many Instagram stories from his holidays in Dubai or TikToks dancing in front of his Lamborghini then people might have more sympathy for him.

He certainly doesn't help himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He certainly doesn't help himself.
    Exactly - that is just what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Roughly 221 weeks @ 20k per week, £4.4m wages / 56 = £80k / game

+ the 3 million odd transfer fee + any signing fee + any bonuses

The problem is you can't separate mental health from physical health.

Of course those of us with robust mental health would of course, when injured, be watching our diet and doing what we could to stay in shape.

For people suffering with depression they have zero motivation to get to work, keep fit and usually over eat. And if your metabolism is such, then you pile on the pounds.

I've lived with someone like that. It's not their fault.

The failure of Tomlin is that he didn't get the right professional help and support and successive clubs have also not provided it.

What threw me was 20k a year was stated not 20k a week.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    The problem is you can't separate mental health from physical health.

Of course those of us with robust mental health would of course, when injured, be watching our diet and doing what we could to stay in shape.

For people suffering with depression they have zero motivation to get to work, keep fit and usually over eat. And if your metabolism is such, then you pile on the pounds.

I've lived with someone like that. It's not their fault.

The failure of Tomlin is that he didn't get the right professional help and support and successive clubs have also not provided it.
    How do you know that successive clubs didn’t provide help. How do you know that Tomlin didn’t seek help? What information are you privy to that we don’t know?

I didn't realise you couldn't have mental health problems to go on holiday.

Social media is full of people posting their perfect lives, doesn't mean they are living a perfect life.

I didn't realise you couldn't have mental health problems to go on holiday.

Social media is full of people posting their perfect lives, doesn't mean they are living a perfect life.
    Well said. As a work colleague said “I’m on the sick from work , not life”

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Well said. As a work colleague said “I’m on the sick from work , not life”
    The ignorance in this thread doesn't surprise me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    How do you know that successive clubs didn’t provide help. How do you know that Tomlin didn’t seek help? What information are you privy to that we don’t know?
    Why are you all over this thread trying to disprove he has/had mental health issues? Have a word mate it’s only football

The ignorance in this thread doesn't surprise me anymore.
    It really does.

I just listened to EGFOF and Danny Gabbidon (who actually played against Tomlin) and Iwan Roberts were commenting on how Tomlin didn't look after himself. And yet neither of them, or the host, mentioned mental health at any point.

You'd really think that they would be better informed than any of us (not you obvs), wouldn't you?

Just a thought.....

Whoever you are, however much money you have, being in a job where you are made to feel incapable of doing it - be it rightly or wrongly can be really stressful and soul destroying. I'm surprised there aren't more footballers we hear about struggling with mental health issues when they aren't playing. It can be difficult for us to sympathise, as most of us would give our right arm to be paid a fortune for doing football training a few times a week and then sitting on a bench or treatment table. For a lot of people, not just footballers, their job is a big part of their identity both inwards in terms of how they feel about themselves and outwards in how they project themselves to others. To be sidelined, told you aren't good enough, made to play with the youth teams, told you are too fat etc etc must be a massive blow to the ego for a lot of players. Imagine that happened to you in your career - marginalised, forced out, degraded - that would be awful, and no less so if any/all of the criticism was justified. I've seen people appointed to jobs they clearly weren't capable of and eventually forced out - and it is a horrible thing to watch, some people seem to brush it off without a care - while others it visibly crushes. Difficult decisions have to be made in elite sport, and we can't have a scenario where players who aren't good enough are kept involved not to hurt their feelings, but it seems as though we could maybe be better as a society at handling this kind of thing. Apologies for the semi coherent block of text, my return key has stopped working on my keyboard.

It really does.

I just listened to EGFOF and Danny Gabbidon (who actually played against Tomlin) and Iwan Roberts were commenting on how Tomlin didn't look after himself. And yet neither of them, or the host, mentioned mental health at any point.

You'd really think that they would be better informed than any of us (not you obvs), wouldn't you?

Just a thought.....
    I think Tomlin is informed enough. Funnily enough he did mention it.