+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Released

Re: Tomlin Released

There’s an article knocking around somewhere about what he was like.

Apparently he turned up to training after signing this new deal in a top of the range Lamborghini (it’s in his tik toks) and Johnson came up to him and said it doesn’t set the right mood for the younger lads etc.

Tomlin said “That’s alright gaffer, let them park next to your old range rover then”.

Then he would go to the nutrition sessions deliberately eating two chocolate bars and put a packet of crisps on the table.

Incredibly talented player but you add all these stories up over several clubs and you quickly come to the view the bloke is a bit of a cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    I hate to say I told you so…

But I told you so!

You don’t get on the wrong side of Eddie Howe, Johnson, Karanka and Warnock and it be all of those blokes with the problem.
    And McCarthy , spot on I'd believe them befroe listening to a single word coming out of Tomlin's mercenary mouth

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know, don’t know what state he’s in but players like him can win a game with free kick or shot, we dont have many of them on show currently do we?
    Trouble is, that's exactly why managers give players like him so much slack, a second or third chance. And Tomlin knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Warnock will probably sign him in January if not before.
    I thought that any player who's contract is terminated outside of the transfer window, like now, isn't deemed a free transfer and can only sign for a domestic club when the window reopens. Could be wrong though.

What a day! I will never again read that someone either wants him in the team, wonders why he isn’t picked this week or asks where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    How do you know he’s suffering with a mental health illness? Where are you getting your information?
    Either him or the club said a while back.

These things don't just pass over, he would have had MH issues before and after the statement made a while back ck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    How do you know he’s suffering with a mental health illness? Where are you getting your information?
    He said so himself a couple of years ago.

I hate to say I told you so…

But I told you so!

You don’t get on the wrong side of Eddie Howe, Johnson, Karanka and Warnock and it be all of those blokes with the problem.
    A player get in the wrong side of Neil Warnock? Or Lee Johnson? Shock horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    He said so himself a couple of years ago.
    Looking back to his low period, Tomlin recalled the start of last season when he was out of favour at promoted Cardiff but unable to secure a move.

He said: “The transfer window had shut, the loan window had shut, I couldn't go anywhere. I found it difficult to find purpose.

“Everything that had happened in previous years, I had probably not dealt with properly and it just exploded.

“As you get older you mature and think more and I started focusing on worst case scenarios. For example after football, what do you do then? And life in general, over-thinking everything took its toll on me.

“You always have bad days in football but to think the sort of things I was thinking at the time, it was obviously a lot deeper than that than your average bad day.

“I was sitting in bed at 2am, 3am with the worst thoughts … about hanging myself, slitting my wrists, sitting there crying. I'd have the tablets in my hand.“

Looking back to his low period, Tomlin recalled the start of last season when he was out of favour at promoted Cardiff but unable to secure a move.

He said: “The transfer window had shut, the loan window had shut, I couldn't go anywhere. I found it difficult to find purpose.

“Everything that had happened in previous years, I had probably not dealt with properly and it just exploded.

“As you get older you mature and think more and I started focusing on worst case scenarios. For example after football, what do you do then? And life in general, over-thinking everything took its toll on me.

“You always have bad days in football but to think the sort of things I was thinking at the time, it was obviously a lot deeper than that than your average bad day.

“I was sitting in bed at 2am, 3am with the worst thoughts … about hanging myself, slitting my wrists, sitting there crying. I'd have the tablets in my hand.“
    Anyone who has suffered mental health problems can totally relate to this.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    A player get in the wrong side of Neil Warnock? Or Lee Johnson? Shock horror!
    Well to be fair, it’s not just them two is it.

But on them two, Warnock has arguably the best football league managerial record in the game and Johnson (for all the stuff about him) currently manages the side top of the league and in the last 16 of the League Cup…

Anyone who has suffered mental health problems can totally relate to this.
    The similarities between him and Gascoigne are clear as day.
    He does need some help because I can see him going the same way if he isn’t careful.

Both players easily the most naturally gifted players in all the teams they’ve played in, but unable to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lets do a swap Mick goes North Neil comes south perfect
    You are joking right?

Well to be fair, it’s not just them two is it.

But on them two, Warnock has arguably the best football league managerial record in the game and Johnson (for all the stuff about him) currently manages the side top of the league and in the last 16 of the League Cup…
    What the **** has records got to do with it? We have more than enough experience of Warnock go know he falls out with players easily and has his favourites. His favourites get treated very well and he’s a horrible **** to those who fall out of favour.

He couldn’t have fallen out with Karanka that badly - he signed him for Forest.

A great player when fit and wanting to play football, he was in the top % in the EFL in that aspect, could change a game in a blink of a eye and made it look so easy

a real shame though he had his fitness issues, now when he came back from his injury he really was a fat bloke, something like you see waddling down the road from having a afternoon session down the pub, it was a disgrace, I know he was injured, but the club would have seen this happening and told him to watch what he ate, he made the decision to eat what he liked and way too much of it, which to me is very unprofessional

was it a coincidence that when his contract was up for renewal he seemed to get his head right and stay fit and slim, as son as the contract was signed he put the weight back on, this wasn't just at our club either, its been a pattern to his career

but when fit and slim he would have been the 1st player on the team sheet at most EFL teams

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    £19k to £20k a year man anyone work out the per game cost yet
    £19k to £20k a year? I wish £400 a week

You've posted that, after claiming "it can't be all those managers fault" without actually adding 2 and 2 together and getting 4.
    Could it *shock horror* be something to do with his mental health the way he applies himself to his career??

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    A great player when fit and wanting to play football, he was in the top % in the EFL in that aspect, could change a game in a blink of a eye and made it look so easy

a real shame though he had his fitness issues, now when he came back from his injury he really was a fat bloke, something like you see waddling down the road from having a afternoon session down the pub, it was a disgrace, I know he was injured, but the club would have seen this happening and told him to watch what he ate, he made the decision to eat what he liked and way too much of it, which to me is very unprofessional

was it a coincidence that when his contract was up for renewal he seemed to get his head right and stay fit and slim, as son as the contract was signed he put the weight back on, this wasn't just at our club either, its been a pattern to his career

but when fit and slim he would have been the 1st player on the team sheet at most EFL teams
    "injured" "waddled"

Bloke had mental health issues.

The ignorance on this board is ****ing staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "injured" "waddled"

he was Injured at the end of the season, it was his groin from memory, he tore is again when he came back too soon if I remember correctly

he looked like someone waddling down the road, he put on a lot of weight, I guess through not training and not eating well

good luck to the lad, I hope he sorts his mental health issues out, I really do

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I thought that any player who's contract is terminated outside of the transfer window, like now, isn't deemed a free transfer and can only sign for a domestic club when the window reopens. Could be wrong though.
    Yes, I think that is correct for a League club. His contract would have to have been cancelled before the last transfer window to be able to sign as a free agent before January. He'll have to wait until January. I'm not sure what the rules are for non League or overseas clubs though.

I still don't really know why we signed Tomlin in the first place. He's the antithesis of a Warnock player.

That being said, we wouldn't have got anywhere near the play-offs in 2019/20 without him. He was properly fit and playing superbly before he did his MCL.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Well, good point, but... if you were Tomlin would you prefer to....

have to come into training every day, be officially employed by city, attend all the necessary training and PR activities ... for 100% of your salary knowing you will never be fit enough or picked again....

Or

Take a 50% or 40% hit on our contract and be released immediately to pursue whatever interests you have - inside or outside of football.

Personally I would take the latter.

He can get another club in January in England, or abroad now (India?) if he is able to .. or pursue his other business ventures.
    As a free agent, can't he get a new club tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    As a free agent, can't he get a new club tomorrow?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "injured" "waddled"

A moderator as well. **** me.

A moderator as well. **** me.
    Got to look beyond his fitness if he has hidden issues, yes he may have been overweight and it looks unprofessional as a pro but surely we need to look at the reason why before passing comment? Nothing against matt who is obviously a decent fella from history, know he's taken time to message me in the past so I wasn't meaning to be harsh to the fella, got carried away with other posters as it was getting to me tbh because people seem to be taking the easy route to pass comment.

I wrote out another message about my own personal situation but I've deleted it as I started to ramble, but mental health puts you in some situations a stronger minded person may deal with better and things don't end up escalating. But it's never simple.