+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 127 is the answer

127 is the answer

Doesn't matter how many temporary visas the government make available for EU nationals if only a fraction of them are taken up.

Re: 127 is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Doesn't matter how many temporary visas the government make available for EU nationals if only a fraction of them are taken up.
    I think Mick is more likely to go with 721 as his next bit of tactical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn’t it only 27 btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Isn’t it only 27 btw?
    127 HGV drivers

Who in their right mind thought the scheme would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    127 HGV drivers

Who in their right mind thought the scheme would work?
    Ah. The Times is reporting ‘Visas attract just 27 fuel drivers from the EU’

Thank goodness for Brexit, heh? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Ah. The Times is reporting ‘Visas attract just 27 fuel drivers from the EU’

Thank goodness for Brexit, heh? :-/
    Boris said it was 127 on TV this morning. Surely he didn't get that incorrect?

Looks like we will have to raise pay, conditions, increase training, maybe create some apprenticeships and create a sustainable economy around the delivery of vital produce that doesn't rely on labour coming in from abroad. No bad thing in the long run, as long as the immigration system is flexible enough to deal with these issues when things have settled down more.

Probably never been a better time in 50 years for people in Britain looking to move into traditional working class jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Looks like we will have to raise pay, conditions, increase training, maybe create some apprenticeships and create a sustainable economy around the delivery of vital produce that doesn't rely on labour coming in from abroad. No bad thing in the long run, as long as the immigration system is flexible enough to deal with these issues when things have settled down more.

Probably never been a better time in 50 years for people in Britain looking to move into traditional working class jobs.
    Yay! Everything's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yay! Everything's brilliant!
    It's not a case of everything being brilliant, but it's a case of recognising reality, seeing where the economy is going and extracting positives.

It's a sad reality that income inequality has massively grown in this country in the last 40-50 years, and traditional working class jobs in many (not all) cases have born the brunt of that, even though they are often the jobs that the country relies upon to keep going.

We have seen this month how important lorry drivers are. It's time that was recognised and the rates of pay and conditions were increased.

Personally, I view that as a long term positive and greater self sufficiency is more economically and environmentally sustainable in the long run.

Feedback

It's not a case of everything being brilliant, but it's a case of recognising reality, seeing where the economy is going and extracting positives.

It's a sad reality that income inequality has massively grown in this country in the last 40-50 years, and traditional working class jobs in many (not all) cases have born the brunt of that, even though they are often the jobs that the country relies upon to keep going.

We have seen this month how important lorry drivers are. It's time that was recognised and the rates of pay and conditions were increased.

Personally, I view that as a long term positive and greater self sufficiency is more economically and environmentally sustainable in the long run.
    The only political state that aims for autarky is North Korea. Self sustainment isn't all you wish it to be.

I also wonder if these higher wages were at the forefront of yours and every other pro-Brexit supporters thinking 12 months ago? for me its all about changing the narrative now the impact of Brexit is being felt. No-one gave a **** about the lorry drivers back in 2000 when we last had a strike, but now all of a sudden its only right they have a pay rise. utter bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    The only political state that aims for autarky is North Korea. Self sustainment isn't all you wish it to be.

I also wonder if these higher wages were at the forefront of yours and every other pro-Brexit supporters thinking 12 months ago? for me its all about changing the narrative now the impact of Brexit is being felt. No-one gave a **** about the lorry drivers back in 2000 when we last had a strike, but now all of a sudden its only right they have a pay rise. utter bollocks.
    Firstly, yes, improving wages and living standards for poorer communities generally was a part of my reasoning for voting leave. Not the biggest reason, but a part. Although I should add, if i had 100 votes, 45 of them would have been for Remain, so it's a balanced argument. But yes, it was. I don't agree in a totally laissez faire, deregulated economic model such as the single market.

Secondly, I don't think arguing for investment in training, apprenticeships, increases in wages or conditions makes someone an advocate for North Korea. No one advocates 'total self sufficiency' it's about 'greater self sufficiency' and that, I would argue is a good thing. It certainly is rarely a bad thing especially when we have a crisis of disaffected youth, communities and training. It makes sense to try and fill some of these gaps closer to home really.

Thirdly, I didn't pay any attention to the 2000 lorry strike as I would have been getting pissed in the student union and chatting up girls but I probably would have had sympathy for their concerns if not all of their actions.

The point is, what is your answer? Rewind history? Open up visas? We've just done that, there is a shortage in the EU too, and a global pandemic on.

The long term sustainable route to this is to make critical jobs like HGV drivers valued, trained and respected properly and make it a viable line of work for people.

Hopefully that happens and I don't see why anyone would oppose that ambition.

Firstly, yes, improving wages and living standards for poorer communities generally was a part of my reasoning for voting leave. Not the biggest reason, but a part. Although I should add, if i had 100 votes, 45 of them would have been for Remain, so it's a balanced argument. But yes, it was. I don't agree in a totally laissez faire, deregulated economic model such as the single market.

Secondly, I don't think arguing for investment in training, apprenticeships, increases in wages or conditions makes someone an advocate for North Korea. No one advocates 'total self sufficiency' it's about 'greater self sufficiency' and that, I would argue is a good thing. It certainly is rarely a bad thing especially when we have a crisis of disaffected youth, communities and training. It makes sense to try and fill some of these gaps closer to home really.

Thirdly, I didn't pay any attention to the 2000 lorry strike as I would have been getting pissed in the student union and chatting up girls but I probably would have had sympathy for their concerns if not all of their actions.

The point is, what is your answer? Rewind history? Open up visas? We've just done that, there is a shortage in the EU too, and a global pandemic on.

The long term sustainable route to this is to make critical jobs like HGV drivers valued, trained and respected properly and make it a viable line of work for people.

A couple of weeks ago, I guessed your age as 40-43. Looks like I was pretty much spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I guessed your age as 40-43. Looks like I was pretty much spot on!

Feedback

time will tell but I think leaving the worlds largest free market so we can sell widgets to Micronesia tariff free isn't going to have positive impact you think it will.

I was making a point that we live in a global economy and looking to ensure that we can provide all of what we need from within these shores is very American in thinking. We import most of our food, fuel, energy, and building materials. If we try and become any more self-sufficient then we'll fail. The reason we left the EU is so we could forge our own trade deals. Great, we can buy kraft cheese to put on our burgers duty free. but the big purchases like German and French cars, lets whack 10% on to the cost. do you understand why we are seeing inflation at 4% ?

you would have been the only one, as most people back then were pissed off with the inconvenience.

my answer would be to re-join the worlds largest free trade economy and accept that Britannia no longer rules the waves.

First Team

When you were studying your “Economics-related” course, did you not understand the basic principle of comparative advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    time will tell but I think leaving the worlds largest free market so we can sell widgets to Micronesia tariff free isn't going to have positive impact you think it will.

I was making a point that we live in a global economy and looking to ensure that we can provide all of what we need from within these shores is very American in thinking. We import most of our food, fuel, energy, and building materials. If we try and become any more self-sufficient then we'll fail. The reason we left the EU is so we could forge our own trade deals. Great, we can buy kraft cheese to put on our burgers duty free. but the big purchases like German and French cars, lets whack 10% on to the cost. do you understand why we are seeing inflation at 4% ?

you would have been the only one, as most people back then were pissed off with the inconvenience.

my answer would be to re-join the worlds largest free trade economy and accept that Britannia no longer rules the waves.
    I'm not sure why you mention Micronesia, but free trade deals are generally a good thing, I agree. But you don't need strings attached to them.

Yes, we live in a global economy, but the economy is subservient to societies needs. It's no use advocating any impact by saying "well, it's the global economy!" If we can make it work better, we should. I see no reason to fear countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South Korea et al.

No one says 'Britannia Rules the Waves' Why do people always litter their arguments with such absurdities. It's like me saying that anyone who is pro-EU believes in the EUSSR or wants a single european state etc. It's just nonsense.

We could have re-joined the single market. Teresa May's deal pretty much advocated that, but people were too busy calling everyone racist and demanding a new referendum to accept it, so we are where we are.

There's loads of reasons why inflation is rising, but German inflation is at 29 year high and the UK's inflation rate is below the eurozone as a whole, so good luck arguing that it's because we left the EU.
    https://www.ft.com/content/e1a5ce6e-...1-d15a094a4755
    https://tradingeconomics.com/country...ntinent=europe

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    When you were studying your “Economics-related” course, did you not understand the basic principle of comparative advantage?
    Hello again! I'm still waiting for you to make some long term predictions on the future of the UK economy, so that your angry dismissals can be judged.

20211005_130939.jpg

did Johnson just add 100 to the figure to make it seem not quite as tragic

I think a positive will finally , sadly it will hurt for a while .

With regards to HGV drivers their jobs and skills and conditions have been poorly eroded over the years partly to do with cheap labour and driving costs down to ensure consumer has the benefits , both in the UK and Europe ,these shortage have been around well before Brexit due to the poor standards of pay and conditions , particularly poor for attracting willing females to the industry .

A white paper was published in 2016 highlighting these issue to Road Haulage Association of these very issues ??

If this just is Brexit why are the 400k of vacancies in Europe alone and many more around the globe ??

First Team

Hello again! I'm still waiting for you to make some long term predictions on the future of the UK economy, so that your angry dismissals can be judged.
    I’m not angry. I actually pity you.

BTW I have a lot to do so I don’t spend every waking minute making up wild conjectures based on no theory for message boards.

I see you didn’t answer the question, so I’m going with “no” as your response?

Are you in paid employment? What is it? You seem to have a lot of free time to post idle bollocks on here.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I’m not angry. I actually pity you.

BTW I have a lot to do so I don’t spend every waking minute making up wild conjectures based on no theory for message boards.

I see you didn’t answer the question, so I’m going with “no” as your response?

Are you in paid employment? What is it? You seem to have a lot of free time to post idle bollocks on here.
    If only arrogance could provide power then the global gas price crisis would be over pretty quickly!

I actually made predictions about the future of the UK economy - predictions that can be assessed. You haven't, you've just shouted out a few slogans and not put anything up to be judged against, and when called out on it, you hand pick some other academic theory whilst ignoring the current reality. That speaks for itself.

Have a nice day and enjoy the Arizona sun.

First Team

I'm not sure why you mention Micronesia, but free trade deals are generally a good thing, I agree. But you don't need strings attached to them.

Yes, we live in a global economy, but the economy is subservient to societies needs. It's no use advocating any impact by saying "well, it's the global economy!" If we can make it work better, we should. I see no reason to fear countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South Korea et al.

No one says 'Britannia Rules the Waves' Why do people always litter their arguments with such absurdities. It's like me saying that anyone who is pro-EU believes in the EUSSR or wants a single european state etc. It's just nonsense.

We could have re-joined the single market. Teresa May's deal pretty much advocated that, but people were too busy calling everyone racist and demanding a new referendum to accept it, so we are where we are.

There's loads of reasons why inflation is rising, but German inflation is at 29 year high and the UK's inflation rate is below the eurozone as a whole, so good luck arguing that it's because we left the EU.
    https://www.ft.com/content/e1a5ce6e-...1-d15a094a4755
    https://tradingeconomics.com/country...ntinent=europe
    Have a word with yourself. Feedy’s owned you here for your lack of consistency. You can’t argue for self sufficiency and for more free trade. As I thought, you don’t understand the principle of comparative advantage.

Feedback

quite simple really, why bother selling on your doorstep in the worlds largest economy when you can sell to someone else on the other side of the planet.

No one fears these countries, it just makes no sense to look for trade deals with South Korea at the expense of a trade deal with Germany.

the only only absurdity is Brexit and the £350m per week for the NHS. The point being made was that some people think the UK requires world power and prestige, and we do not.

non sequitur. Even if we remained in the EU we were outside the Eurozone so we would not have been impacted by eurozone based inflation. where we are being impacted is the additional costs incurred on importing the vast majority of what we consume, given its all made in the EU.

I for one am not looking forward to buying American pony cars instead of the German and Italian Gts that are so much more sexier.

Can I thank various posters, including Feedback and AZ City for putting the stupid arguers for Brexit in their place far more succinctly than I ever could
    I cannot get my head around anyone with 1 brain cell could still think it was a good economic idea. They must be in a state of denial.
    The shit is hitting the fan. It will get a lot worse.

First Team

If only arrogance could provide power then the global gas price crisis would be over pretty quickly!

I actually made predictions about the future of the UK economy - predictions that can be assessed. You haven't, you've just shouted out a few slogans and not put anything up to be judged against, and when called out on it, you hand pick some other academic theory whilst ignoring the current reality. That speaks for itself.

Have a nice day and enjoy the Arizona sun.
    That’s laughable. The benefits of (free) international trade and the principle of comparative are the first things any student of Economics would come across.

Don’t conjecture any more. You’re posting bollocks.