+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 127 is the answer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

127 is the answer

Doesn't matter how many temporary visas the government make available for EU nationals if only a fraction of them are taken up.

Re: 127 is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Doesn't matter how many temporary visas the government make available for EU nationals if only a fraction of them are taken up.
    I think Mick is more likely to go with 721 as his next bit of tactical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn’t it only 27 btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Isn’t it only 27 btw?
    127 HGV drivers

Who in their right mind thought the scheme would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    127 HGV drivers

Who in their right mind thought the scheme would work?
    Ah. The Times is reporting ‘Visas attract just 27 fuel drivers from the EU’

Thank goodness for Brexit, heh? :-/

Looks like we will have to raise pay, conditions, increase training, maybe create some apprenticeships and create a sustainable economy around the delivery of vital produce that doesn't rely on labour coming in from abroad. No bad thing in the long run, as long as the immigration system is flexible enough to deal with these issues when things have settled down more.

Probably never been a better time in 50 years for people in Britain looking to move into traditional working class jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Looks like we will have to raise pay, conditions, increase training, maybe create some apprenticeships and create a sustainable economy around the delivery of vital produce that doesn't rely on labour coming in from abroad. No bad thing in the long run, as long as the immigration system is flexible enough to deal with these issues when things have settled down more.

Probably never been a better time in 50 years for people in Britain looking to move into traditional working class jobs.
    Yay! Everything's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yay! Everything's brilliant!
    It's not a case of everything being brilliant, but it's a case of recognising reality, seeing where the economy is going and extracting positives.

It's a sad reality that income inequality has massively grown in this country in the last 40-50 years, and traditional working class jobs in many (not all) cases have born the brunt of that, even though they are often the jobs that the country relies upon to keep going.

We have seen this month how important lorry drivers are. It's time that was recognised and the rates of pay and conditions were increased.

Personally, I view that as a long term positive and greater self sufficiency is more economically and environmentally sustainable in the long run.

Feedback

It's not a case of everything being brilliant, but it's a case of recognising reality, seeing where the economy is going and extracting positives.

It's a sad reality that income inequality has massively grown in this country in the last 40-50 years, and traditional working class jobs in many (not all) cases have born the brunt of that, even though they are often the jobs that the country relies upon to keep going.

We have seen this month how important lorry drivers are. It's time that was recognised and the rates of pay and conditions were increased.

Personally, I view that as a long term positive and greater self sufficiency is more economically and environmentally sustainable in the long run.
    The only political state that aims for autarky is North Korea. Self sustainment isn't all you wish it to be.

I also wonder if these higher wages were at the forefront of yours and every other pro-Brexit supporters thinking 12 months ago? for me its all about changing the narrative now the impact of Brexit is being felt. No-one gave a **** about the lorry drivers back in 2000 when we last had a strike, but now all of a sudden its only right they have a pay rise. utter bollocks.

I think a positive will finally , sadly it will hurt for a while .

With regards to HGV drivers their jobs and skills and conditions have been poorly eroded over the years partly to do with cheap labour and driving costs down to ensure consumer has the benefits , both in the UK and Europe ,these shortage have been around well before Brexit due to the poor standards of pay and conditions , particularly poor for attracting willing females to the industry .

A white paper was published in 2016 highlighting these issue to Road Haulage Association of these very issues ??

If this just is Brexit why are the 400k of vacancies in Europe alone and many more around the globe ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Ah. The Times is reporting ‘Visas attract just 27 fuel drivers from the EU’

Thank goodness for Brexit, heh? :-/
    Boris said it was 127 on TV this morning. Surely he didn't get that incorrect?

20211005_130939.jpg

did Johnson just add 100 to the figure to make it seem not quite as tragic

Can I thank various posters, including Feedback and AZ City for putting the stupid arguers for Brexit in their place far more succinctly than I ever could
    I cannot get my head around anyone with 1 brain cell could still think it was a good economic idea. They must be in a state of denial.
    The shit is hitting the fan. It will get a lot worse.

Can I thank various posters, including Feedback and AZ City for putting the stupid arguers for Brexit in their place far more succinctly than I ever could
    I cannot get my head around anyone with 1 brain cell could still think it was a good economic idea. They must be in a state of denial.
    Even Jacob Rees Mogg thinks it could take 50 years to "reap the benefits" of Brexit. Which of course would never actually materialise. Because by then, most of the people who voted for it will be long dead, and if we've had to sit through even 20 years of it being a bad decision, then it will get reversed.

They haven't.

The economic benefits of being in or outside of the EU are a pretty complex debate. If you compare comparative advanced western countries such as France, UK, Germany, Spain, Italy et al with those outside such as Norway, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, USA etc then it doesn't suggest EU membership benefits economies in any identifiable way - GDP growth is generally lower. Unemployment is generally higher etc.

Feedback

They haven't.

The economic benefits of being in or outside of the EU are a pretty complex debate. If you compare comparative advanced western countries such as France, UK, Germany, Spain, Italy et al with those outside such as Norway, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, USA etc then it doesn't suggest EU membership benefits economies in any identifiable way - GDP growth is generally lower. Unemployment is generally higher etc.
    yet all of those highlighted are joining their own free trade blocs - why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    yet all of those highlighted are joining their own free trade blocs - why is that?
    Indeed - and the one you haven't highlighted is in the European single market.

First Team

They haven't.

That’s simplistic, one-eyed bollocks.

Feedy owns you.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

Feedy owns you.
    When you get called out, you keep replying with insults.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

Feedy owns you.
    Do you really have to descend to such language in such a debate? If you have a valid perspective why not just debate in a mature fashion?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Do you really have to descend to such language in such a debate? If you have a valid perspective why not just debate in a mature fashion?
    Meh

I think food shortages is a bit of an exaggeration, and probably pretty offensive to much of the world. We've discussed the driver situation and I've provided a link that shows very clearly that inflation in the UK is lower than the eurozone and many EU (and global countries).
    Here’s a new one we can’t complain about food shortages because we aren’t as bad as 3rd world counties

Has anyone admitted they were wrong to vote for this shit show yet? Still waiting for a tangible benefit of it.

We could have re-joined the single market. Teresa May's deal pretty much advocated that, but people were too busy calling everyone racist and demanding a new referendum to accept it, so we are where we are.
    Sorry to go back a few pages but this gave me the best laugh I've had in ages. Boris' utter failure of an 'oven ready deal' was the fault of remainers ? If we all just believed really, really hard it would have been so much better obviously.

Seems Johnson is going to portray what's been happening in this country in the past few months as part of his master plan in his conference speech today.

Going back sixty years or so ago, my mother had been brought up a Tory and had voted for them all of her life until the she heard the Prime Minister of the time, Harold Macmillan, tell her that she, and millions like her, "had never had it so good" - this was while her husband was having to go away to work five days in the midlands every week to provide for her and her young son who were living in a few rented rooms in Paget Street, Grangetown.

My mother's political thinking changed completely the day she heard a Tory PM, who couldn't begin to understand what life was like for her, telling her what was just a load of old bollox.

By rights, there should be huge numbers across the country who react the same way today when Johnson spouts his rubbish, but there won't be, because for the nodding dogs who follow him and his party these days, supporting the Conservative party has become like supporting a football team whereby you're blinded to all sorts of poor decision making and hopeless outcomes by thinking along the lines of "but their my team and I always support them".

I'll credit Johnson with one thing, although it's often dressed up by feeble jokes and flowery vocabulary, he does have the capacity to portray total nonsense as fact with a completely straight face.

A/ Economically, I will be looking to see how the UK compares vs advanced western nations in the EU (Sweden, Italy, Spain, Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium etc..broadly the eurozone) in the coming years in terms of things like GDP growth, unemployment, debt, wage growth, inflation. ie, the key economic indicators which provide the best wider picture.

Socially, it's much harder to analyse, but I would like to see reduced inequality, greater confidence, a happier society (almost impossible to assess) a more content, less anxious society, greater health outcomes etc.
    And how does brexit make this any easier? You must be pretty sure it will be since you voted for it and so ardantley defend it, so what evidence and facts do you have to back this up?

Because currently all evidence points to the opposite. How long are you giving until things turn around to say that brexit is the catalyst?

What about the other things we've lost the freedom of movement to study and work abroad?