+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Any planning experts on here

O/T Any planning experts on here

Basically my next door neighbour has built up a patio which is almost as high as my 2 metre fence. Then there's pillars on top.
    The patio I'd say is 3 feet from the boundary fence
    They had an enforcement notice put on them by they've put in for retrospective planning.
    I've objected on privacy grounds.
    What I'm looking for is are there any privacy laws written into planning acts?

Re: O/T Any planning experts on here

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Basically my next door neighbour has built up a patio which is almost as high as my 2 metre fence. Then there's pillars on top.
    They had an enforcement notice put on them by they've put in for retrospective planning.
    I've always found Cardiff council's planning department to be very helpful in cases such as this, obviously speak to your local council if you live elsewhere. One of my neighbours had a problem caused by raising his decking too high, this may be the case with your neighbour's patio.

Gosh that sounds a bit over the top for a patio sounds like it's part of the Roman empire , certainly effects your privacy.

I know of people who have contacted local authorities around those awful trampolines that can make you feel looked, making you feel somewhat uncomfortable,

The good news is, you don’t necessarily have to put up with it , you do have a right to your privacy., chat with them first followed by a letter explaining your discomfort, if all fails warn them and then then contact your local authority they should be able to help. Id send photos from your side identify the intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh that sounds a bit over the top for a patio sounds like it's part of the Roman empire , certainly effects your privacy.

I know of people who have contacted local authorities around those awful trampolines that can make you feel looked, making you feel somewhat uncomfortable,

The good news is, you don’t necessarily have to put up with it , you do have a right to your privacy., chat with them first followed by a letter explaining your discomfort, if all fails warn them and then then contact your local authority they should be able to help. Id send photos from your side identify the intrusion.
    That's, exactly what it is aive contacted planning

We had a similar scenario last year, but from the opposite angle to yours. We live on a hill. The bottom of the garden is 14 ft lower than the bottom of the back door. It was all one lengthy slope that you could do nothing with. Most houses in the street have tiered their gardens.

We decided to do the same last year and had two guys who did a great job. We originally had a flat space from the back door before it all sloped away and this was extended by a few feet to give us more space. Our neighbour reported us to the council this year complaining about privacy. We were unaware that this was needed and were told that most people don't realise either. We didn't have any issues with getting permission. As we're on a hill, each garden is going to be higher up as you go up the street. It was pointed out that the neighbour who complained could see right into the garden of the house the other side as that is down the hill. We've put up a fence so we cannot see into her garden. It still hasn't stopped her slagging us off in the street and inventing stories claiming family members of ours have been harassing her. She's a fruit loop who calls us scum in front of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We had a similar scenario last year, but from the opposite angle to yours. We live on a hill. The bottom of the garden is 14 ft lower than the bottom of the back door. It was all one lengthy slope that you could do nothing with. Most houses in the street have tiered their gardens.

We decided to do the same last year and had two guys who did a great job. We originally had a flat space from the back door before it all sloped away and this was extended by a few feet to give us more space. Our neighbour reported us to the council this year complaining about privacy. We were unaware that this was needed and were told that most people don't realise either. We didn't have any issues with getting permission. As we're on a hill, each garden is going to be higher up as you go up the street. It was pointed out that the neighbour who complained could see right into the garden of the house the other side as that is down the hill. We've put up a fence so we cannot see into her garden. It still hasn't stopped her slagging us off in the street and inventing stories claiming family members of ours have been harassing her. She's a fruit loop who calls us scum in front of others.
    She should go into politics.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    She should go into politics.....
    Cheers for that. I'd be happy with a 10/11,foot.She seems to think she'll get planning.

That's, exactly what it is aive contacted planning
    Good luck let us know the outcome ,might be a good reference for others

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Good luck let us know the outcome ,might be a good reference for others
    Folowing my objection they changed there plans to iclude a wooden fence and screens around their patio facing our property,At least we won't see their ugly mugs.