+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Congratulations Tom Davies!

Congratulations Tom Davies!

Re: Congratulations Tom Davies!

Was very impressed with him in the game against Sutton. Made a few errors but every time he did you could see him raise his efforts to get the next thing right.

Is he a centre-back by any chance?

Great to see young players pushing on.

congratulations, great to see more players coming through.

we do seem to have a glut of fullbacks/wing backs at the moment.
    we've seen Bagan, Sang, Davies and now D'Almeida seems to have been converted there too.
    While Semenyo seems to have been very impressive in the u23s recently too.

Do we genuinely have more talent in that position than others, or are the club/manager more comfortable having an inexperienced player in a more peripheral position?
    I don't think we are alone in that respect though, wingers and fullbacks seem to have a younger age profile than any other positions

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    congratulations, great to see more players coming through.

we do seem to have a glut of fullbacks/wing backs at the moment.
    we've seen Bagan, Sang, Davies and now D'Almeida seems to have been converted there too.
    While Semenyo seems to have been very impressive in the u23s recently too.

Do we genuinely have more talent in that position than others, or are the club/manager more comfortable having an inexperienced player in a more peripheral position?
    I don't think we are alone in that respect though, wingers and fullbacks seem to have a younger age profile than any other positions
    Sang is not a full back. Not sure on the others. Still remains to be seen if any of them develop into championship players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Sang is not a full back. Not sure on the others. Still remains to be seen if any of them develop into championship players.
    Naturally a winger isn't he

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Tom Sang himself thinks he is (or should be) a right wingback:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...aster-21663735

"Positionally, where I play now for Cardiff, towards the end of my loan (at Cheltenham) I started to play a couple of games there and really enjoyed it, it suited me much more than where I was playing, in the No. 10 position.

"It just helped me adapt to the men's game, the level and the speed of it. When I came back I was much better prepared and suited for what was to come."

Many supporters, and indeed this writer, believe Sang could well be a viable option in the middle of the park for Cardiff City.

While he has of course done brilliantly in his new role at wing-back, Sang's creativity, work rate and all-round ability on the ball would represent a real attacking shift in midfield if he were to be deployed there.

For many, seeing Sang on the bench, should the equally-impressive Perry Ng be selected in front of him, seems a waste when he could add a different dimension to the central midfield.

Whether Sang, or indeed Mick McCarthy, has closed the door on a shift in midfield appears to be a constant question among Cardiff supporters. But while the player himself has not ruled it out entirely, it doesn't look like that will be an option any time soon.

"The coaches know I previously played there," the 22-year-old added.

"But from my side, development-wise, it is better to just focus on one position.

"You never know what's to come, but I really enjoy where I am now and I feel like attributes I have suit it.

"I just want to stick to it and keep going down the path I'm on."

If our future is with these promising lads its great , even if we have some lean years

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If our future is with these promising lads its great , even if we have some lean years
    I think the last few weeks has proved that we can't have a lean month without the message board blowing up in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I think the last few weeks has proved that we can't have a lean month without the message board blowing up in despair.
    I'd like to take the route Wales did a long time ago when they moved on the old guard and blooded young talent , it was an instant success however it did deliver in the long term

Tom started for Wales Under 19s today in the mini tournament being held in Norway as part of the qualifying process for the age group version of the Euros. Taylor Jones was also in the side and Caleb Hughes came on as a sub. The game, against Georgia, finished 0-0 with Wales, seemingly, on the back foot for most of the time. The Norwegians beat Kosovo 3-0 in the other game today.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd like to take the route Wales did a long time ago when they moved on the old guard and blooded young talent , it was an instant success however it did deliver in the long term
    that is clearly what we are in the middle of doing

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that is clearly what we are in the middle of doing
    Minus the modern thinking management team, to exploit /develop that young modern coached youngsters