+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squid Game

Squid Game

No. 1 on Netflix at the moment. Anyone watched it. Is it worth a look?

Re: Squid Game

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Starting tonight on it. Those that have watched it really like it. Very good reviews too. Best to watch the sub titled version though. It’s Korean and they produce some great stuff...The Wailing is a brilliant film.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Starting tonight on it. Those that have watched it really like it. Very good reviews too. Best to watch the sub titled version though. It’s Korean and they produce some great stuff...The Wailing is a brilliant film.
    👍 yeah think ill try the sub titles.

Really enjoying it so far

I've seen quite a bit of Korean and Chinese TV over the last few years. Some of it is pretty good, but a lot of it is the same kind of enjoyable trash that we get here

It's worth watching. Quite compelling. It's not the best thing I've ever seen. I watched in English. The voice acting is not great.

Is it akin the Japanese game show 'Endurance'?

We watched it all, got to say the last episode was the poorest, in my opinion. Looked as if they were heading towards Series 2.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    We watched it all, got to say the last episode was the poorest, in my opinion. Looked as if they were heading towards Series 2.
    A damp squid then.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Yes, agree with that. I thought it peaked at around episode 5/6 and then tailed off a bit.

i have watched it. quite interesting but got a bit bored with it after a while. Ok but overrated in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    i have watched it. quite interesting but got a bit bored with it after a while. Ok but overrated in my opinion.
    I thought it was great, very inventive, the tug of war game was brilliantly filmed, the tension was fantastic. The last episode could have been stronger but it was okay

Korean-speakers say the subtitles do not represent the actual dialogue, changes much of the meaning.
    And the dubbing is worse.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Korean-speakers say the subtitles do not represent the actual dialogue, changes much of the meaning.
    And the dubbing is worse.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264
    Closed captioned subtitles are different to the official English subtitles. If you watched it with the CC subtitles (which I believe are subtitles for the English dub) then yes you've probably missed out on a couple of things character wise. The official English subtitles are a direct translation from the Korean script so there's nothing lost there.

It's good and worth watching. Ending was weak IMO but that doesn't distract from making it a good TV show though.

On another note I've been a big follower of The Walking Dead since it's start however this last series on now is a total load of b ollocks and it can't end soon enough. I've invested too much time in it though to give up now

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    It's good and worth watching. Ending was weak IMO but that doesn't distract from making it a good TV show though.

On another note I've been a big follower of The Walking Dead since it's start however this last series on now is a total load of b ollocks and it can't end soon enough. I've invested too much time in it though to give up now
    I gave up at about series 8 I think

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Closed captioned subtitles are different to the official English subtitles. If you watched it with the CC subtitles (which I believe are subtitles for the English dub) then yes you've probably missed out on a couple of things character wise. The official English subtitles are a direct translation from the Korean script so there's nothing lost there.
    I don't the official English subtitles are a 'direct translation' as it would render them nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I don't the official English subtitles are a 'direct translation' as it would render them nonsensical.
    You're right, bad wording on my part. Point being the official English subtitles are different to the CC subtitles which is what that article is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    You're right, bad wording on my part. Point being the official English subtitles are different to the CC subtitles which is what that article is referring to.
    Indeed. I am part of the way through a Finnish series and some of the translation of the dialogue is a bit ropey. Translations should normally be translated by someone whose native tongue is the target language rather than the source language.

I watched it and enjoyed it, but whereas I really liked it, I don't think it quite deserves ALL the hype it's getting at the moment. Yes it's good, and yes it's different. But someone said earlier on that the tension needed to be racked up a bit more, and I tend to agree - they could have made it much more 'edge of your seat', it they'd tried. There was also no ambivalence about the characters - only one (maybe two) came out of it with any credit. The rest were all distasteful people, so you didn't really care when they died (spoiler alert). I watched it with the English dubbed on - I find subtitles distract the eyes from the action. Anyway, it's perfectly set up for a second series.

If you like Korean stuff, then I recommend Kingdom - a medieval zombie martial arts series on Netflix. Sounds weird, but they clearly spent a lot of money on it, and it shows. Make sure you watch the main series FIRST, and the prequel 'Kingdom - Ashin of the North' afterwards.

Also recommend two Korean zombie films (there's a theme developing here) called 'Train to Busan' and 'Train to Busan - Peninsular'.
    Again - zombie martial arts, but this time in modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I watched it and enjoyed it, but whereas I really liked it, I don't think it quite deserves ALL the hype it's getting at the moment. Yes it's good, and yes it's different. But someone said earlier on that the tension needed to be racked up a bit more, and I tend to agree - they could have made it much more 'edge of your seat', it they'd tried. There was also no ambivalence about the characters - only one (maybe two) came out of it with any credit. The rest were all distasteful people, so you didn't really care when they died (spoiler alert). I watched it with the English dubbed on - I find subtitles distract the eyes from the action. Anyway, it's perfectly set up for a second series.

If you like Korean stuff, then I recommend Kingdom - a medieval zombie martial arts series on Netflix. Sounds weird, but they clearly spent a lot of money on it, and it shows. Make sure you watch the main series FIRST, and the prequel 'Kingdom - Ashin of the North' afterwards.

Also recommend two Korean zombie films (there's a theme developing here) called 'Train to Busan' and 'Train to Busan - Peninsular'.
    Again - zombie martial arts, but this time in modern times.
    Yes Kingdom is great, very slow first episode but then goes mental in a good entertaining way. Train to Busan is one of the best films of the zombie genre

It is like a slow version of a cross between ‘Black Mirror’ and ‘The Hunger Games’.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I gave up at about series 8 I think
    I gave up as soon as those whisperers led by the bald lady got involved. Was getting boring

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I gave up as soon as those whisperers led by the bald lady got involved. Was getting boring
    no idea who that is

Watched the first episode. It was ok but far from convinced by it. Will see the next couple but not sure this is my type of thing. Subtle it ain’t