Thread: No more Pubs all for sale

No more Pubs all for sale

Re: No more Pubs all for sale

No more pubs all for sale.

Sense all makes no that at.

Strange old Brains company are

I recognise most of those Cardiff pubs, however, where is the 'Pear Tree', Roath?
    Would that have once been the 'Yellow Kangaroo', although I always thought that was a free-house?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I recognise most of those Cardiff pubs, however, where is the 'Pear Tree', Roath?
    Would that have once been the 'Yellow Kangaroo', although I always thought that was a free-house?
    Yeah, it's the corner one by Wellfield Rd

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    But the 'Yellow Kangaroo' was just off Newport Road, a stone's throw from the 'Clifton'?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    But the 'Yellow Kangaroo' was just off Newport Road, a stone's throw from the 'Clifton'?
    Oh sorry, no...the yellow kangeroo is now The Four Elms - The same small chain that owns The Queens Vaults in town. It's as good a local as you could wish for.
    https://www.jwbpubs.com/

The Pear Tree is on Wellfield Rd/Albany Rd and it was formally an Aussie themed bar, so when you said Yellow Kangaroo I thought you meant that.

Oh sorry, no...the yellow kangeroo is now The Four Elms - The same small chain that owns The Queens Vaults in town. It's as good a local as you could wish for.

The Pear Tree is on Wellfield Rd/Albany Rd and it was formally an Aussie themed bar, so when you said Yellow Kangaroo I thought you meant that.
    was it bar billabong?

The Yellow Kangaroo, was The Four Elms for years before they changed the name

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    was it bar billabong?
    Thats the one..

The Pear Tree is on Wellfield Rd/Albany Rd and it was formally an Aussie themed bar, so when you said Yellow Kangaroo I thought you means that.
    It would seem that the 'Yellow Kangaroo' has reverted back to its former name. I'm surprised it's not a solicitors office or a double glazing showroom already - a very strange clientele used to get in there.

Ah, when you said the 'Pear Tree' used to be an Aussie themed bar on Wellfield Road, I know where you mean now.

Cheers for that!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I guessed that may have been the case, but didnt know.

Like The Bluebell..back to the future

You beat me to it.

Have a good quiz night there.

I guessed that may have been the case, but didnt know.

Like The Bluebell..back to the future
    Loved the bluebell

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Loved the bluebell

No past tense needed, it’s still open

Thats the one..
    And it was originally named 42nd Street. Shit name and all that.

No past tense needed, it’s still open
    If AfricanBluebird no longer visits the Bluebell, the past tense is quite appropriate to use.

Marston took the operation over , got a feeling they didn't want to pay the money Brains wanted for the properties, hence the half deal and side running them now realiise a lot of these pubs are no longer attractive and youngsters don't bother with pubs.

Lots of Brains pubs are in attractive development areas ie Pontcanna, Llandaff, Whitchurch , Pentyrch etc , we may end up with flats instead of pubs and Marstons may cherry pick the sites they want.???

The best Pub business model in the UK is weatherspoons
    If a business is doing well competitors tend to pinch ideas and use them to enhance their respective business
    Sadly NOT Brains
    Weatherspoons sold 50 million coffees- 24 million breakfasts and more Curry than any other restaurant in the UK and that was according to my google search, in 2015.
    Weatherspoons has 8 pubs in and around Cardiff and they’re all busy.
    Brains pubs have languished in the past.
    Does anyone know exactly how much the developers paid Brains to move from its prized prime real estate plot in town?
    It would have added lots of Zeros to the families bank balances for sure.
    Covid has obviously played a part but in my opinion of only speeding up the sale of its estate.

the strong is force in thread this

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    The best Pub business model in the UK is weatherspoons
    If a business is doing well competitors tend to pinch ideas and use them to enhance their respective business
    Sadly NOT Brains
    Weatherspoons sold 50 million coffees- 24 million breakfasts and more Curry than any other restaurant in the UK and that was according to my google search, in 2015.
    Weatherspoons has 8 pubs in and around Cardiff and they’re all busy.
    Brains pubs have languished in the past.
    Does anyone know exactly how much the developers paid Brains to move from its prized prime real estate plot in town?
    It would have added lots of Zeros to the families bank balances for sure.
    Covid has obviously played a part but in my opinion of only speeding up the sale of its estate.
    Wetherspoons do ok as well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I haven’t read but assume this is a sale and leaseback scheme, not closing all pubs

Maybe they will listen to individual offers selling some outright if it makes financial sense

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I haven’t read but assume this is a sale and leaseback scheme, not closing all pubs

Maybe they will listen to individual offers selling some outright if it makes financial sense

Marstons have already taken over the tenancies of the pubs, Brains just wanna sell them now and pass over to new owners