+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninian Park.

Ninian Park.

When you think about the old ground, what’s the first thought that comes into your head?
    For me, it’s the Captain Morgans Rum advertising on the roof.

Re: Ninian Park.

The floodlights.

The can bar outside block A of the grandstand but just inside the gates.

Looked like a prison cell that sold beer

Your ticket saying “View may be partially obscured” 😂😂

The hooliganism

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Your ticket saying “View may be partially obscured” 😂😂
    The way we played in those days, that was a blessing!

The last ever game, I'd not managed to get my usual ticket in Lower Block A so was in Upper. There's no way I wasn't standing with my mates for the last game so I jumped down over the wall, right in front of a steward. He looked at me, said," slipped did you"? laughed and walked off haha. Nowadays I'd have been arrested.

That and the Bristol City game (same season of the Leeds FA Cup game)

I couldn't make Leeds for personal reasons and the Bristol game was one of the most hostile atmospheres I've seen at home.

Overall some amazing memories of why I fell in love with Cardiff City.

We should all be given complimentary blindfolds to watch this shite under Mickey Mouse 🥺

I can't think of the first thing, it's a bombardment

Getting soaking wet if you were not in the upper bob bank

Remembering crowds of less than 2500 , an empty , massive place

Being able to hear the players swear at each other

Moneyspinner lottery ticket bloke

The queue for the pisshouse

If you were unfortunate enough to be on the Bob Bank Terrace in the rain you didn’t have to worry about queuing for the pisshouse 😂

I am sure the high wall was moving in the wind and they had to cordon the toilets off.

Climbing into the Bob Bank from the back of the Canton Sheds 😆

The rust

The commentary box in the Bob bank when we played leeds

The rush from the Grange end when we scored
    Phil Suarez going mental when we played swansea "get off the pitch"

Giving John hartson so much abuse when he played or West Brom about his wife "shagging someone else" that he was subbed

Rising steam of piss.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    When you think about the old ground, what’s the first thought that comes into your head?
    For me, it’s the Captain Morgans Rum advertising on the roof.
    Floodlights, the impressiveness of the Bob bank when it was at full capacity, the unfinished boxes in the canton stand, wooden benches, wooden seats, st Johns at the corner of the Bob bank, who city didn't pay for around 3 years!
    I had access to the inner workings of the club for a while, so, the absolutely huge communal bath in the home changing room, the tiny laundry room where I went to hide behind the massive tumble dryers. The shitty sauna by the managers office and Harry Parsons, a legend. He struck a deal with a shoe repair shop in canton. When players wanted a new pair of boots, he'd take the old ones to this shop and get them to stitch a leather patch over the hole or tear. As tight as cramp, but a wonderful character.

Read the other day that Craven Cottage is the only league ground with its turnstiles on one street only, would Ninian Park have qualified? There were the turnstiles down behind the Canton Stand but I’d have thought that was classed as Sloper Rd, I’d imagine the address of the old Bluebirds Club was Sloper Rd.

Being from Barry and coming into Cardiff through Leckwith many, many times, the Captain Morgan sign was very visible and will always be etched in my mind. But also, those floodlights. They were so big and bright. It seemed like they lit up the whole of Sloper Road and were like a beacon drawing you in. I remember going to lots of away games and being surprised at other teams' lighting towers. I had thought ours were archetypal. But they weren't. They were mighty. I still think it's a great shame we couldn't incorporate them into the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Being from Barry and coming into Cardiff through Leckwith many, many times, the Captain Morgan sign was very visible and will always be etched in my mind. But also, those floodlights. They were so big and bright. It seemed like they lit up the whole of Sloper Road and were like a beacon drawing you in. I remember going to lots of away games and being surprised at other teams' lighting towers. I had thought ours were archetypal. But they weren't. They were mighty. I still think it's a great shame we couldn't incorporate them into the new stadium.
    That would have been great, they could have faced outwards from the ground lighting up the whole area, they were a city landmark. On another floodlight note, when we used to drive by car to away games years ago they were the first things we looked for when reaching our destination. Sadly pylon floodlights seem to have faded into history.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That would have been great, they could have faced outwards from the ground lighting up the whole area, they were a city landmark. On another floodlight note, when we used to drive by car to away games years ago they were the first things we looked for when reaching our destination. Sadly pylon floodlights seem to have faded into history.
    It was the thing that struck me when visiting away grounds - how much smaller their floodlights seemed to be, in comparison with ours. The floodlights at other grounds would often have much smaller pylons but the actual lights would look huge.
    I'm sure that we had them upgraded to meet the requirements of international football. Nevertheless, they were bloody impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It was the thing that struck me when visiting away grounds - how much smaller their floodlights seemed to be, in comparison with ours. The floodlights at other grounds would often have much smaller pylons but the actual lights would look huge.
    I'm sure that we had them upgraded to meet the requirements of international football. Nevertheless, they were bloody impressive!

They were, weren’t they, visible from a fair way away from the ground in all directions. Why oh why wasn’t something suggested before demolition & dismantling? They’d have been brilliant sited on the four corners of the new ground............and anyone testing positive could be allowed to scale them to watch the games.

My first thought is ….it’s gone!!!!

My first thought, when walking up to the Bob Bank turnstiles, was are they ever going to finish those executive boxes the back of the Canton Stand?

My favourite memory was (I think) against Mansfield Town.
    The goal area was a mudbath and the opposition goalkeeper was a fuller figured chap.
    The Cardiff fans were giving him a hard time, laughing as he slipped during a goal kick and landed on his backside!
    Then, during one goal kick, some Valleys wag behind me, stood up and shouted "'Urry up......yer fat b***rd"!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    My favourite memory was (I think) against Mansfield Town.
    The goal area was a mudbath and the opposition goalkeeper was a fuller figured chap.
    The Cardiff fans were giving him a hard time, laughing as he slipped during a goal kick and landed on his backside!
    Then, during one goal kick, some Valleys wag behind me, stood up and shouted "'Urry up......yer fat b***rd"!
    I remember when we played Mansfield on a Friday night in 1992. Big crowd of 7500. The weather was really foggy, and had trouble watching the game

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    The rust

The commentary box in the Bob bank when we played leeds

The rush from the Grange end when we scored
    Phil Suarez going mental when we played swansea "get off the pitch"

Giving John hartson so much abuse when he played or West Brom about his wife "shagging someone else" that he was subbed
    Radio Ninian, the lads in white coats walking the perimeter of the ground with their "Backpack Hot Water Dispensers" for your OXO, tea or coffe and last but certainly not least, the Alphabet A to Z on the Bob Bank Wall.

I miss emm all, sad I know!