+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ninian Park.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Being from Barry and coming into Cardiff through Leckwith many, many times, the Captain Morgan sign was very visible and will always be etched in my mind. But also, those floodlights. They were so big and bright. It seemed like they lit up the whole of Sloper Road and were like a beacon drawing you in. I remember going to lots of away games and being surprised at other teams' lighting towers. I had thought ours were archetypal. But they weren't. They were mighty. I still think it's a great shame we couldn't incorporate them into the new stadium.
    That would have been great, they could have faced outwards from the ground lighting up the whole area, they were a city landmark. On another floodlight note, when we used to drive by car to away games years ago they were the first things we looked for when reaching our destination. Sadly pylon floodlights seem to have faded into history.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That would have been great, they could have faced outwards from the ground lighting up the whole area, they were a city landmark. On another floodlight note, when we used to drive by car to away games years ago they were the first things we looked for when reaching our destination. Sadly pylon floodlights seem to have faded into history.
    It was the thing that struck me when visiting away grounds - how much smaller their floodlights seemed to be, in comparison with ours. The floodlights at other grounds would often have much smaller pylons but the actual lights would look huge.
    I'm sure that we had them upgraded to meet the requirements of international football. Nevertheless, they were bloody impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It was the thing that struck me when visiting away grounds - how much smaller their floodlights seemed to be, in comparison with ours. The floodlights at other grounds would often have much smaller pylons but the actual lights would look huge.
    I'm sure that we had them upgraded to meet the requirements of international football. Nevertheless, they were bloody impressive!

They were, weren’t they, visible from a fair way away from the ground in all directions. Why oh why wasn’t something suggested before demolition & dismantling? They’d have been brilliant sited on the four corners of the new ground............and anyone testing positive could be allowed to scale them to watch the games.

My favourite memory was (I think) against Mansfield Town.
    The goal area was a mudbath and the opposition goalkeeper was a fuller figured chap.
    The Cardiff fans were giving him a hard time, laughing as he slipped during a goal kick and landed on his backside!
    Then, during one goal kick, some Valleys wag behind me, stood up and shouted "'Urry up......yer fat b***rd"!