+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLIGHT RADAR

FLIGHT RADAR

I'm not one for apps but a mate of mine showed me Flight Radar and I love it.

Yes it's totally anorak and geeky but if you see planes flying overhead and ever wondered where there destination was, then Flight Radar is for you. You'll also get their real time location on a map, altitude, the flight path, where it's come from, type of aircraft etc etc.

If you see a lone sole in the Rumney area looking up into a clear blue sky saying, "Mexico City to Paris, well I never", unfortunately that is likely to be me.

Re: FLIGHT RADAR

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Yes it's totally anorak and geeky but if you see planes flying overhead and ever wondered where there destination was, then Flight Radar is for you. You'll also get their real time location on a map, altitude, the flight path, where it's come from, type of aircraft etc etc.

If you see a lone sole in the Rumney area looking up into a clear blue sky saying, "Mexico City to Paris, well I never", unfortunately that is likely to be me.
    Good, innit? Me and one of the blokes i work with have small wagers on where the plane has come from, and where it is going. It is possible to get quite close if you know your east from west and north from south, the height of the plane helps as well etc. Exciting stuff in my workplace

There are also ones for shipping such as MarineTraffic and Marine Radar.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:20.3/zoom:7

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post

You don't get many ships flying over though, I suppose it could be useful on a trip to the seaside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good, innit? Me and one of the blokes i work with have small wagers on where the plane has come from, and where it is going. It is possible to get quite close if you know your east from west and north from south, the height of the plane helps as well etc. Exciting stuff in my workplace
    Makes we wish I was back in work again ! Well not quite. About 2 weeks ago we had a cloudless sky and I followed on the map those planes heading in our direction and then trained my binoculars on them when they came into view. Cincinnati to Brussels, Chicago to Baki, Atlanta to Istanbul were just a few.

There is no way you or your workmate would have guessed one of the flights.....try Kuwait City to Shannon. Got to be worth 10 points that one lol

My 5 year old grandson loves it, he knows all the airlines by name lol

If you want to be REALLY sad about you could get a raspberry pi and nooelec SDR dongle and contribute to the data yourself.....I don't know anyone who'd be that sad, honest

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    If you want to be REALLY sad about you could get a raspberry pi and nooelec SDR dongle and contribute to the data yourself.....I don't know anyone who'd be that sad, honest
    Sorry, you lost me after "raspberry" lol

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You don't get many ships flying over though, I suppose it could be useful on a trip to the seaside.
    Yeah fair point I should have mentioned it is nice when you walk along a coastal path or you at the beach and you see a tanker sat out there.

Try “ The Flight Channel” on YouTube . Some superb representations of both doomed and saved flights. Not for the squeamish.

If he's flying over Rumney en route from Mexico City to Paris I think that pilot needs retraining!

I love using it when you know someone who's on a flight.

Also love the ISS Tracker app. Gives you 5 minute warning to see the Space Station, together with its position in the sky. Still blows my mind that sometimes I can see it and its actually flying directly over the north coast of Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If he's flying over Rumney en route from Mexico City to Paris I think that pilot needs retraining!
    Why is that? The Great Circle route goes over Cornwall, which is not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Could be a variety of reasons why a certain flight path is taken, such as weather conditions and other air traffic for instance. But the Mexico to Paris flight definitely came up on the tracker and I viewed the aircraft overhead. On another day the same flight might enter UK air space over Cornwall or Mid Wales and would not be visible from Cardiff.

Could be a variety of reasons why a certain flight path is taken, such as weather conditions and other air traffic for instance. But the Mexico to Paris flight definitely came up on the tracker and I viewed the aircraft overhead. On another day the same flight might enter UK air space over Cornwall or Mid Wales and would not be visible from Cardiff.
    Is it because people are familiar with looking at a Mercator map of the world and not realising that a straight line on it between two points is nowhere near the shortest distance involved?

snip - 2021-10-11T110738.272.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is it because people are familiar with looking at a Mercator map of the world and not realising that a straight line on it between two points is nowhere near the shortest distance involved?

Almost certainly, especially if they're not regular fliers. It's quite common to fly over Nova Scotia or even further north when flying from London to Miami for instance.

Not only is the Flight Radar app fun, it's a great educational tool as well.

Almost certainly, especially if they're not regular fliers. It's quite common to fly over Nova Scotia or even further north when flying from London to Miami for instance.

It's my very last day as a cartographer as I'm retiring at 4pm today. Glad to be of service

It's my very last day as a cartographer as I'm retiring at 4pm today. Glad to be of service
    Good luck in your retirement!

Isn't that what Newfoundland is famous for, being the pitstop for the Americas?

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post

Used it quite often,

Sat with my father yesterday at the Spinny in Sully watching a cargo ship pass

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Good luck in your retirement!

Does it track footballs kicked in to the sky at Cardiff City Stadium?

I've always found this to be so counter intuitive. I have a globe in front of me , and with a piece of string I can see that the shortest path is exactly as the map you posted shows. Yet it still seems strange that Mexico City is a long way south of Paris, yet in order to get there you start off going north to cornwall. I suppose if you reoriented paris to be th new "north pole" then it might make more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've always found this to be so counter intuitive. I have a globe in front of me , and with a piece of string I can see that the shortest path is exactly as the map you posted shows. Yet it still seems strange that Mexico City is a long way south of Paris, yet in order to get there you start off going north to cornwall. I suppose if you reoriented paris to be th new "north pole" then it might make more sense
    All map projections (and there are many) are distortions. Try and imagine representing a football as a flat two-dimensional object.
    Not easy, is it? The Mercator projection, named after a Flemish cartographer, effectively shows the globe as a flattened out cylinder with the most northern and southern regions cropped because the further away from the equator the more stretching is involved - and the north and south poles, mere points on the globe, would be shown as wide as the equator. The projection is useful in several ways, including the north/up v south/down concepts but, in reality, there is no up and down apart from in our imagination. And as for north being at the top of maps, it's merely convention and not universal - and the word 'orientation' came from the days when The Holy Land/The East was at the top of maps and when North was effectively shown on the left-hand side. Many things in mapping are human constructs and but it's the maths that count.

All map projections (and there are many) are distortions. Try and imagine representing a football as a flat two-dimensional object.
    Not easy, is it? The Mercator projection, named after a Flemish cartographer, effectively shows the globe as a flattened out cylinder with the most northern and southern regions cropped because the further away from the equator the more stretching is involved - and the north and south poles, mere points on the globe, would be shown as wide as the equator. The projection is useful in several ways, including the north/up v south/down concepts but, in reality, there is no up and down apart from in our imagination. And as for north being at the top of maps, it's merely convention and not universal - and the word 'orientation' came from the days when The Holy Land/The East was at the top of maps and when North was effectively shown on the left-hand side. Many things in mapping are human constructs and but it's the maths that count.
    Picturing you still sat in the office typing this GO HOME TBG, your work is done