+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLIGHT RADAR

Re: FLIGHT RADAR

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Picturing you still sat in the office typing this GO HOME TBG, your work is done
    I've been on leave today (and for the last 9 weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I've been on leave today (and for the last 9 weeks)
    And you’re retiring despite that holiday entitlement

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And you’re retiring despite that holiday entitlement
    Two years accrued, old fruit.

Two years accrued, old fruit.
    Extremely tactical and clever TBG, happy & long retirement

Thanks but enough of me already!

All map projections (and there are many) are distortions. Try and imagine representing a football as a flat two-dimensional object.
    Not easy, is it? The Mercator projection, named after a Flemish cartographer, effectively shows the globe as a flattened out cylinder with the most northern and southern regions cropped because the further away from the equator the more stretching is involved - and the north and south poles, mere points on the globe, would be shown as wide as the equator. The projection is useful in several ways, including the north/up v south/down concepts but, in reality, there is no up and down apart from in our imagination. And as for north being at the top of maps, it's merely convention and not universal - and the word 'orientation' came from the days when The Holy Land/The East was at the top of maps and when North was effectively shown on the left-hand side. Many things in mapping are human constructs and but it's the maths that count.
    About 10 years ago I was in Sydney with the missus and we went into a small souvenir shop to browse. In there was a map showing Australia roughly where Canada is now, so all the continents as we know them are shown in an inverted position. The shop owner joked that this is how the world really is, with Oz at the top, albeit upside down. When I pointed out two major flaws to his argument, i.e. South Australia is now to the north of the island and Western Australia is now in the East he shut up pretty sharpish !

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Isn't that what Newfoundland is famous for, being the pitstop for the Americas?
    I heard that said on The curse of oak island.

Just remembered I didn't finish watching that show..

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    About 10 years ago I was in Sydney with the missus and we went into a small souvenir shop to browse. In there was a map showing Australia roughly where Canada is now, so all the continents as we know them are shown in an inverted position. The shop owner joked that this is how the world really is, with Oz at the top, albeit upside down. When I pointed out two major flaws to his argument, i.e. South Australia is now to the north of the island and Western Australia is now in the East he shut up pretty sharpish !
    Australia means south.

Australia means south.
    So South Australia is really South South !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A Chinese map of the world is different from a standard map. The Chinese word for China is 中国 (Zhōngguó), this translates as the 'Central Kingdom'. So, on a Chinese map, you will see China positioned towards the middle east.

Seconded

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If he's flying over Rumney en route from Mexico City to Paris I think that pilot needs retraining!
    That's about the right flight path!

Many flights from the major european hubs to the Caribbean / Mexico will fly over the Severn estuary.

My wife has the app and mentioned "Cancun from Frankfurt".