+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: ESTONIA 0 - 1 WALES. Match thread

Re: FT: ESTONIA 0 - 1 WALES. Match thread

Joe Allen has become a bit of a liability of late. He's getting sloppy and he gives the ball away a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Joe Allen has become a bit of a liability of late. He's getting sloppy and he gives the ball away a lot.
    Maybe he’s knackered, covering the lack of work by Wilson & James !!

Moore ends goal drought to edge Wales to victory, but ridiculous booking means he misses the Belarus game.

Sloppy Wales back to normal routine after Prague thriller.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

We're clinging on to dear life within this group. Out of the 14 or so games we've played this year, its only the czech game friday and turkey in the summer i've actually been excited and enjoyed watching. Bales hat trick away to belarus was a get out of jail moment, Belgium, France, Italy and Denmark all put us to the sword, we were lucky last night and against the czechs at home to scrape a win.

Still on and I would clearly love us to qualify as most would, been far far too long however if we do manage to beat Belarus at home and get a draw against Belgium (can't believe i'm saying that) then who knows in the play offs.

Imagine qualifying for the world cup with one of the most mediocre managers we've had in over 20 years!!

It's possible that we could finish 2nd and still not be seeded for the playoffs! Only the top 6 runners up get seeded, and it's all very tight. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022...A_Second_Round

Strange game after Friday’s thriller. Good first half going in with a lead, second half was headless chicken stuff where composure and shape just collapsed.

Page made really positive subs on Friday but still feel he’s far too late in making changes when we were in desperate need of fresh legs.

Win is a win and it keeps us in the running at least. Really feel for Kieffer, felt like he was actually disciplined in the air for this game but still gets short shrift from the ref, who was shocking in the 2nd half in particular - how we ended up with more yellow cards than a very cynical and disruptive Estonia is beyond me.

Re: ESTONIA v WALES. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You’ve gone quiet !!!
    In fairness, in the first half we were the better side - which was when I took exception. Second half we were the embodiment of the keystone cops at times, but a win is a win. I did enjoy the game though, I'd prefer to watch that shambles any day than if we had ground out a comfortable 0-0 and shut the game down completely. It was enthralling - for all the wrong reasons, but I doubt many of those watching took their eyes from the screen for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Page is useless. Picks the right team then goes 3.4.3 instead of 3.5.2 with Wilson alongside Allen instead of Ramsey. As for his subs totally clueless.
    If and it's a big if, we actually get to the World Cup Finals then Page needs replacing immediately. Otherwise when we come up against a half decent side like we did in the Euros with Denmark, we'll be like lambs to the slaughter again.

We need a decent coach or manager. Not sure who is out there, and anyone decent would want big bucks, which I'm pretty sure our beloved FA won't pay, I was impressed on how Estonia's Swiss manager has got them playing better football and having them harder to beat. I'd certainly rather him in the job than Page.

Why oh why, is nearly every ball played in the air, always challenged by 2 or 3 of our players.

Parks defending !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    If and it's a big if, we actually get to the World Cup Finals then Page needs replacing immediately. Otherwise when we come up against a half decent side like we did in the Euros with Denmark, we'll be like lambs to the slaughter again.

We need a decent coach or manager. Not sure who is out there, and anyone decent would want big bucks, which I'm pretty sure our beloved FA won't pay, I was impressed on how Estonia's Swiss manager has got them playing better football and having them harder to beat. I'd certainly rather him in the job than Page.
    More than a bit of truth in your comment about the FAW not paying. I’d imagine they’ve raked in more money since 2016 that they ever dreamed of. But, I fear, the set up isn’t reflecting this new found wealth, frugality is still reigning supreme and if it carries on it’ll be to the detriment of the whole structure. It’s now, with our recent record, that we should be acting like one of the big boys otherwise the whole thing could come crashing down and we’ll be back amongst the dead men.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    More than a bit of truth in your comment about the FAW not paying. I’d imagine they’ve raked in more money since 2016 that they ever dreamed of. But, I fear, the set up isn’t reflecting this new found wealth, frugality is still reigning supreme and if it carries on it’ll be to the detriment of the whole structure. It’s now, with our recent record, that we should be acting like one of the big boys otherwise the whole thing could come crashing down and we’ll be back amongst the dead men.
    This is exactly my thinking here. The reason Cookie Coleman resigned after the Euro's is that he was the poorest paid manger at the 2061 Euros, from what I read anyway. Allegedly he went to them wanting a pay increase but they turned him down. I doubt we were paying Giggs mega bucks to manage us, and the same goes for bang Mr Average Page. Trying to think, off the top of my head, who is out there who is any good. Lampard? Bruce, once he becomes available? There must be a European manager, someone who has a proven track record at international level, who would love to take over a national team, especially one with as good a profile as we currently have

This is exactly my thinking here. The reason Cookie Coleman resigned after the Euro's is that he was the poorest paid manger at the 2061 Euros, from what I read anyway. Allegedly he went to them wanting a pay increase but they turned him down. I doubt we were paying Giggs mega bucks to manage us, and the same goes for bang Mr Average Page. Trying to think, off the top of my head, who is out there who is any good. Lampard? Bruce, once he becomes available? There must be a European manager, someone who has a proven track record at international level, who would love to take over a national team, especially one with as good a profile as we currently have
    And it is all about ‘now’, now is the time to do it, now is the time to speculate. Our stock has never been higher than it’s been for these last 5/6 years. The fans are on board as never before, the whole country seems to have woken up to the fact that we have a national football team. Would be criminal to let things slip, absolutely criminal.

Who wins it, mystic meg

Anyone decent would want the job for keeps and not minding the shop like Page. Can't fire Giggs (yet) cos it would be unfair dismissal. So who's the best interim manager out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Anyone decent would want the job for keeps and not minding the shop like Page. Can't fire Giggs (yet) cos it would be unfair dismissal. So who's the best interim manager out there?

Who would want it as an interim manager only? Not many names out there that would be interested.

Bloody Scotland.Results not helpful to our hopes for a home draw in the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    That’s a good point but maybe somebody older who would like to take a team through to a World Cup would take it part time. We’ve looked clueless in both games against Estonia and got lucky against Belarus. Admittedly we were good against the Czech Republic but was that a one off?

If you look at the teams currently coming 2nd who would be seeded you can see how important it is to finish 2nd in the group. Going through as the best Nations league side would mean an away game against one of currently Portugal, Sweden, Croatia, Switzerland, Scotland & Czech Republic.

Apart from the Czechs I wouldn’t fancy our chances in an away one off game against any of the others ( we’re always jinxed with Scotland so want to avoid them) whereas a home game against one of Norway, Romania, Albania, Ukraine & Austria looks more manageable ( if not easy).

Can’t see them changing from Page now though

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    That’s a good point but maybe somebody older who would like to take a team through to a World Cup would take it part time. We’ve looked clueless in both games against Estonia and got lucky against Belarus. Admittedly we were good against the Czech Republic but was that a one off?

If you look at the teams currently coming 2nd who would be seeded you can see how important it is to finish 2nd in the group. Going through as the best Nations league side would mean an away game against one of currently Portugal, Sweden, Croatia, Switzerland, Scotland & Czech Republic.

Apart from the Czechs I wouldn’t fancy our chances in an away one off game against any of the others ( we’re always jinxed with Scotland so want to avoid them) whereas a home game against one of Norway, Romania, Albania, Ukraine & Austria looks more manageable ( if not easy).

Can’t see them changing from Page now though
    Even if we get four points from our final two games will that be enough for a home play off semi final? It looks very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Even if we get four points from our final two games will that be enough for a home play off semi final? It looks very tight.
    Yes you’re right, it would be very tight , I think they remove the results against the bottom side in the groups of 6 so that might help us but haven’t calculated it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes you’re right, it would be very tight , I think they remove the results against the bottom side in the groups of 6 so that might help us but haven’t calculated it!
    Yes I’ve been looking at that and it’s touch and go to be in the top six best play off positions. We could have done with Scotland not winning.

Don’t we always lose home play-offs, or important games ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don’t we always lose home play-offs, or important games ?
    Hungary at home 2019 broke the mould