Russell Slade

The former City manager is in the news this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58873132

Re: Russell Slade

If lower league players can get something then that will be great

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    If lower league players can get something then that will be great
    Will it? Why? There is more data out there for the premier league players so presumably they’d get more. The players don’t own this data. Gathering performance stats requires effort and the players don’t do it. If they don’t want the data gathered they could always refuse entry to these guys/refuse television games/refuse to play. Otherwise what is happening here is entirely fair.

These companies sell this data and analysis back to the clubs theese players play for. The clubs could always do it themselves but that would be inefficient.

I must admit, I rolled over at 7am and looked on the BBC news and I thought I was dreaming when I saw Russel Slade's face as the main story

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Will it? Why? There is more data out there for the premier league players so presumably they’d get more. The players don’t own this data. Gathering performance stats requires effort and the players don’t do it. If they don’t want the data gathered they could always refuse entry to these guys/refuse television games/refuse to play. Otherwise what is happening here is entirely fair.

These companies sell this data and analysis back to the clubs theese players play for. The clubs could always do it themselves but that would be inefficient.
    playing devil's advocate, google or facebook almost certainly have a lot of information about me that requires effort to gather and I don't do it - that doesn't mean that I don't have any rights over my own personal data

is this really personal data though. ? ? apart from the obvious height and weight and left/right footed

the data is on how many headers won, pass's made/completed, shots, tackles etc etc, the sports world has moved on and is data / stat driven ( from a personal point of view, my Daughter has had her netball stat's taken since she was 14 , occasionally we get a picture of her stat's for that game ) it helps the coaches look for area's for improvement

This really does look like Compo for the money and nothing else

As I understand it, the case is not just about statistics about completed passes and players' heights but also about more personal physiological and biometric data collected by their clubs.

When information about a person is in the public domain, does that individual still own that information?
    Similarly, are they also saying that a player's goal stats cant be used as that's performance information, even though millions of people could see what they've done?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When information about a person is in the public domain, does that individual still own that information?
    Similarly, are they also saying that a player's goal stats cant be used as that's performance information, even though millions of people could see what they've done?
    As the law stands, certain information may be in the public domain as there are no IP rights to it but there is also the concept of personal information to be taken into account and which is a major factor in this case.

Slade should face legal action for crimes against football. Never disliked a City manager so much and weve had some really unlikeable managers. Guy was a chancer and a bluffer.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Slade should face legal action for crimes against football. Never disliked a City manager so much and weve had some really unlikeable managers. Guy was a chancer and a bluffer.
    Not sure he was.

He finished 8th while everything was being sold from under him. A decent effort I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Not sure he was.

He finished 8th while everything was being sold from under him. A decent effort I think.
    Rubbish. He had a squad who were more than capable of that 8th place finish

Removing Oles rubbish doesnt equate to everything being sold from under him.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Not sure he was.

8th whilst never looking like finishing in the play offs, with a squad that still contained the likes of Whitts, Pilkington, Gunnarson, Marshall, Manga, Morrison, Peltier, Noone, Ralls, etc etc We finished 8th in spite of him and not because of him.

Yes he had to sell some players but thats because after Ole we had a squad of about 40 senior pros! He was still left with a very good squad by Championship standards so 11th and 8th is nothing to shout about.

The football was mundane and his press conferences were even worse. Always playing the David v Goliath card. Plucky little Cardiff. He once described an end of season dead rubber against an already relegated Blackpool, who were relegated that season on just 26 points as our "most dangerous game of the season" as they were a "wounded animal".

Hes been found out at every club since. Absolute bluffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Rubbish. He had a squad who were more than capable of that 8th place finish

Removing Oles rubbish doesnt equate to everything being sold from under him.
    Correct. Slades first season was the year Blackpool could barely field a full squad as the Oystons ripped the club apart. Youd swear Slade was left in that position. Far from it. He had a squad full of players who had played in the premier league or been promoted to the premier league.

As soon as I saw it on the news this morning I thought "this is gonna be a 5 pager on the MM messageboard".
    A few constructive comments initially then the same old tripe little to do with it's subject matter.

Let's go over miles and miles of old ground again and have a good old Slade-bash.

Yawn.... I'm out!

He was an absolute jerk, mind you we continue to have more than our fair share of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As I understand it, the case is not just about statistics about completed passes and players' heights but also about more personal physiological and biometric data collected by their clubs.
    I've only skimmed the story so may have missed it but where are you getting that from? And surely player height is biometric?

They list bookmakers as some of the mis-users. I doubt this relates to physiological information. I'm aware of the data gathered on player performance and yes the gambling industry is a big buyer of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've only skimmed the story so may have missed it but where are you getting that from? And surely player height is biometric?

They list bookmakers as some of the mis-users. I doubt this relates to physiological information. I'm aware of the data gathered on player performance and yes the gambling industry is a big buyer of that.
    I can't remember where I read about some of the finer details (i.e. data beyond just stats gleaned from official games observed) but the following links may give a bit more info than the BBC website.

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...5-6feb6451c3a9
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/proj...-football-data
    https://www.itpro.co.uk/data-insight...-violates-gdpr

I have no expert knowledge in this field but having worked in the world of IP for quite some time I find it useful to do a bit of digging beyond the headlines as things are often more complex than reported by some media outlets. Happy to sit back and learn regarding this case...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The former City manager is in the news this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58873132
    Well done Russell Slade , to be fair he always came across a nice genuine person, which can be rare in this sport .

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wish you wouldn't beat about the bush and say what you really feel.

I met him once, he seemed a nice fella. Out of his depth with us though at that time.