+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DVLA Adding To HGV Shortages

Re: DVLA Adding To HGV Shortages

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Completely disagree. There are potentially very serious long term consequences of permanent home working, the loss of sharing of information, mental wellbeing impacts, new staff training, business cultures, isolation, the impact on younger staff, the impact on poorer staff, establishing contacts with new clients, ensuring work is understood properly etc. It definitely has the potential to lead to greater isolation and impacts on some much worse than others, and it's typically those who are younger or with less happy home lives

Not to mention the impact on business, sustainable transport and the like.

I know people who have been to a very very dark place through WFH so I have to speak up when you try to charactise it as something simple or wholly positive which it absolutely isn't. It's a very complex topic
    On the other side of the coin is that I have a friend who has been forced to go back into the office twice a week for no logical reason other than her boss liking having her staff around her. The two lengthy commutes a week cost her over £100 a month. She doesn't like driving but it's the only way she can get to work. Two weeks ago someone brought Covid into the office and half of the staff couldn't work last week as they were isolating.

She is a quiet, private person who quite often doesn't like mixing others but enjoys her own space. Breaks and lunchtimes working from home are great for her to do things that interest her without having to play office niceties. Being back in the office has affected her mental health, a point her boss has little regard for. As a result her relationship with her boss has plummeted and she's looking for another job, which has not been easy on her wage, meaning more stress and deterioration of her mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, although I haven’t been entirely critical of this Government, I freely admit I’m not even handed in my judgement of them. You’re not even handed though either because, despite attempting to make out that you are, you always end up coming to t(e same conclusion and come down on the side of the UK Government.

When I read the OP, I thought of two or three posters who could well reply broadly agreeing with it and you were one of them. Why did I do that I wonder?
    This thread is almost nothing to do with the government. I certainly didn't bring it up, and I certainly am critical of them when needs be. It only got brought up when the debate takes it's usual downward trajectory when the political insults start flowing.

I've voted for Labour far more times than I have Tory. I've voted to the left of Labour too. On this, my interest was initially a personal experience from the DVLA (and I hope the dispute is sorted soon) and my personal experience on WFH, which when called 'ignorant' I managed to back up with some data.

I'm more than happy to criticise the UK government or the Welsh government and orthodox left or right wing positions - in fact, it's critical we all do, but I'm not interest in partisan political battles, personal insults or mistruths.

And if you want a grown up message board you should be able to accept different opinions without resorting to insults IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    On the other side of the coin is that I have a friend who has been forced to go back into the office twice a week for no logical reason other than her boss liking having her staff around her. The two lengthy commutes a week cost her over £100 a month. She doesn't like driving but it's the only way she can get to work. Two weeks ago someone brought Covid into the office and half of the staff couldn't work last week as they were isolating.

She is a quiet, private person who quite often doesn't like mixing others but enjoys her own space. Breaks and lunchtimes working from home are great for her to do things that interest her without having to play office niceties. Being back in the office has affected her mental health, a point her boss has little regard for. As a result her relationship with her boss has plummeted and she's looking for another job, which has not been easy on her wage, meaning more stress and deterioration of her mental health.
    Yes, I totally recognise there are two sides to it. I don't think anyone should be forced either way. That said, I do think there are serious, and sometimes hidden, long term impacts of people working alone. If your friend can prove she can work okay at home she should be allowed to do so, perhaps with catch up visits every fortnight or so.

It's a really nuanced and difficult issue, which is kinda the point I want to make, and given 'the norm' at the moment is WFH, I am more inclined to present the dangers of that. You are right though, long commutes and covid-anxiety are certainly arguments against it.

This thread is almost nothing to do with the government. I certainly didn't bring it up, and I certainly am critical of them when needs be. It only got brought up when the debate takes it's usual downward trajectory when the political insults start flowing.

I've voted for Labour far more times than I have Tory. I've voted to the left of Labour too. On this, my interest was initially a personal experience from the DVLA (and I hope the dispute is sorted soon) and my personal experience on WFH, which when called 'ignorant' I managed to back up with some data.

I'm more than happy to criticise the UK government or the Welsh government and orthodox left or right wing positions - in fact, it's critical we all do, but I'm not interest in partisan political battles, personal insults or mistruths.

And if you want a grown up message board you should be able to accept different opinions without resorting to insults IMO.
    Of course its to do with the government.

The DVLA are going out on strike over a dispute with them at a time of backlogs and a desperate need for HGV drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Of course its to do with the government.

The DVLA are going out on strike over a dispute with them at a time of backlogs and a desperate need for HGV drivers.
    It's primarily to do with management, safety in reference to Covid and is specific to the DVLA in Swansea. Widening into some wider political battle is what some may want, but it's not really true. The DVLA may well be a govt department, but that doesn't mean every issue flows from the top. Just as every NHS dispute isn't necessarily government related.

Either way, lets hope it is resolved soon to the benefit of all involved.

I’ve not insulted you.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve not insulted you.
    I was less referring to you. Should have said 'one' instead of 'you' there. Although you did claim I have an agenda, which I don't.

Thats interesting. My experience is the exact opposite. Everyone I know in public sector offices is generally at home. Private sector, the opposite.
    You couldn’t be more wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You couldn’t be more wrong.
    Or right

I have friends / relatives in WAG / HMRC / Police/ CF Council all at home on laptops , however they are all managers a number now want to return to the office . I'm guessing those who contributed to this post saying they managed at home are also Mangers .

I''m told there are some in work but there is no real drive to force folk into the office other than the DVLA which seems to have a need to get their administration / non manager type of jobs bums on seats to move the licence applications backlog .,

There is gossip some DVLA work could move North to Newcastle and / or parts sold off to private sector facilitators to avoid this type of future congestion .

Sadly it wont be long before it all becomes electronic and appears one an app instead of the long drawn out process of paper and plastic .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I have friends / relatives in WAG / HMRC / Police/ CF Council all at home on laptops , however they are all managers a number now want to return to the office . I'm guessing those who contributed to this post saying they managed at home are also Mangers .

I''m told there are some in work but there is no real drive to force folk into the office other than the DVLA which seems to have a need to get their administration / non manager type of jobs bums on seats to move the licence applications backlog .,

There is gossip some DVLA work could move North to Newcastle and / or parts sold off to private sector facilitators to avoid this type of future congestion .

Sadly it wont be long before it all becomes electronic and appears one an app instead of the long drawn out process of paper and plastic .
    Yes indeed. People will miss those weeks it takes to hear back from DVLA by letter.

On this, my interest was initially a personal experience from the DVLA (and I hope the dispute is sorted soon)
    I hope its a blue badge youve applied for as youre going to need a wheelchair after they way youve been taken apart by TLG on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    I hope its a blue badge youve applied for as youre going to need a wheelchair after they way youve been taken apart by TLG on this thread.
    If you had read the thread you would know it wasn't me, but my father who has applied for a blue badge

But then again, if you had read this thread, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 😜

Hope you and TLG have a nice evening!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'll be honest, I couldn't care less what annoys you.

Have a good evening. I'm off to a gig, Covid passport in hand. I don't need it for the office, though.

Who did you go see? I used a Covid passport for the first time last night for the Karine Polwart gig at the Gate