+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVLA Adding To HGV Shortages

DVLA Adding To HGV Shortages

The critical shortage of HGV drivers is set to get worse, with union members set to vote on further strike action*at the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency*(DVLA).

The Road Haulage Association (RHA) warned on Wednesday night that the possible industrial action "could not come at a worse time" and would aggravate*the driver shortage*that has led to*empty supermarket shelves*and a*fuel crisis.

The DVLA said any strike action would hold "millions of drivers to ransom". The Government agency is currently working through*a backlog of a reported 50,000 vocational driving licences*stretching back more than two months.

But the Public and Commercial Services union (PCS) at the DVLA's offices in Swansea will vote in the coming weeks on further industrial action over fears that 2,500 staff working in its offices are at risk of Covid.

DVLA staff working from home due to the pandemic – currently about 3,500 – are not allowed to handle driving licence applications or medical certificates needed to issue HGV licences.

Re: DVLA Adding To HGV Shortages

I wouldn’t be surprised if DVLA gets relocated to another part of the country at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if DVLA gets relocated to another part of the country at some stage.
    Dont know about being relocated to another part of the country, but
    there are plans for digital licences in the next few years which I guess will see a reduction in overall staff numbers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Sad;ly you are right If PCS Union General Secretary Mark Serwotka has it way and 6 thousand jobs will be lost , they have spent 4.1 million making the building safe with all sorts of screens etc they have had one recorded Covid death and 500 positives but not all caught in work

There is 56,000 HGV /Bus drivers applications and 1.4 million applications sitting on desks , only 40% of staff are going into work , sadly due to the nature of the work you cant work remotely as you have use secure database servers .

58 days of strike so far this year getting £40 per day strike pay they are backed by a number of Labour MP's let hope the jobs are not lost as that will really hurt those at the DVLA and all those support industries, perhaps Mark Drakeford could remind them of those job risks ,best they don't apply for Supermarket , Postman, Bus Driver , NHS jobs if they do become redundant as they gamely kept on working through the worst of this .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Blah, blah, blah.
    I had no idea you were such an expert on the DVLA, the buildings the staff work in and the methods of working. Where does this knowledge originate, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I had no idea you were such an expert on the DVLA, the buildings the staff work in and the methods of working. Where does this knowledge originate, I wonder?
    It's alright, he's only adding "balance".

It's not good enough, but there are a few public sector organisations who have struggled on service delivery on this. DVLA seem to be being used as a pawn between unions and the govt/public who need them. My Dad has a blue badge and has basically been off the road for two months due to some DVLA issue. There's a degree of tolerance about it due to Covid, but when it becomes a political battle, it's just frustrating. Get on with it.

In fairness, they are also caught between two competing messages on WFH.

Personally I think Drakeford is wrong to continue to specifically ask for WFH instead of allowing businesses and organisations to decide, and to put in safe working practices as in England.

Sad;ly you are right If PCS Union General Secretary Mark Serwotka has it way and 6 thousand jobs will be lost , they have spent 4.1 million making the building safe with all sorts of screens etc they have had one recorded Covid death and 500 positives but not all caught in work

There is 56,000 HGV /Bus drivers applications and 1.4 million applications sitting on desks , only 40% of staff are going into work , sadly due to the nature of the work you cant work remotely as you have use secure database servers .

58 days of strike so far this year getting £40 per day strike pay they are backed by a number of Labour MP's let hope the jobs are not lost as that will really hurt those at the DVLA and all those support industries, perhaps Mark Drakeford could remind them of those job risks ,best they don't apply for Supermarket , Postman, Bus Driver , NHS jobs if they do become redundant as they gamely kept on working through the worst of this .
    If Union workers have voted to strike. Its a fair ballot then why shouldnt Labour MPs back them.?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's alright, he's only adding "balance".
    I'm especially interested to hear details of these "secure database servers" which mean DVLA staff can't work remotely.....

LoM is obviously a man in the know, so I reckon he should share this knowledge with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Get on with it.
    Yeah, just get on with it. Forget about putting yourself, your family, your loved ones and your colleagues at risk, forget dilapidated buildings and shitty working conditions, forget underfunding and poor pay, just get on with it.

Yeah, just get on with it. Forget about putting yourself, your family, your loved ones and your colleagues at risk, forget dilapidated buildings and shitty working conditions, forget underfunding and poor pay, just get on with it.
    Working conditions poor ?

Flexible hours working .
    Up to 30 days Annual Leave Ex Bank Holidays
    26 weeks of maternity or a share parents up to 50 weeks
    Good pensions
    Paid Special leave
    Onsite child care and vouchers help
    Onsite Gym
    Free eyesight costs
    Advance /help salary towards cycle purchases and transport costs
    Staff discounts
    long term employment
    Salary 25 ish up can climb to 58k for managers in 6/7 grades
    usual 5 day a week Mon to Fri very flexible industry to help with home life

I get fed up with ridiculous straw-man arguments like this. Clearly in saying "get on with it" it means "find a solution".

I acknowledged the DVLA is caught in a difficult place. Can't you show a degree of balance in your response? There is (according to some) a food shortage due to a lack of HGV drivers, and there is a massive backlog which does interrupt peoples lives a great deal. As mentioned, my disabled father is currently off the road awaiting clearance from the DVLA.

Also, everything you mention applies to pretty much every public sector job going, so the fact it's only affecting the DVLA shows that it is facing particular issues, but also that those issues may not be entirely related to the topics you raise.

So I repeat, with greater clarity...Get on with it (and find a solution)

Blah de blah de blah
    Have you ever been to the DVLA's offices?

Flexible hours working .
    Good pensions
    Paid Special leave
    Onsite Gym
    Free eyesight costs
    Staff discounts
    long term employment
    In the above, you seem to have omitted the conditions that are concerning the staff in this dispute.

I get fed up with ridiculous straw-man arguments like this. Clearly in saying "get on with it" it means "find a solution".
    If you meant 'find a solution', perhaps you should have said 'find a solution' as opposed to 'get on with it'.

Have you ever been to the DVLA's offices?
    Yes many times, they are very old in their nature built 1969 I think ? Like a lot of government buildings they are tough to maintain and its not great , the worse I've seen and this is recent is the administration offices at the Heath . I've been in the Taxes Llanishen , ONS , Patent Office , Passports Newport, WAG Cathays . Merthyr WAG , Bay WAG.

Some are very ageing indeed .

Not been in the DVLA since the recent 4.1 million expenditure to provide a safer working environment , 4.1 million must have delivered some improvements .

There are very secured serves at DVLA and GDPR / data protection is very high which you would struggle to do all of it at home , as you may no , isn't that your world Government ??

sadly due to the nature of the work you cant work remotely as you have use secure database servers.
    This claim really interests me. Would you care to provide some details?

There are very secured serves at DVLA and GDPR / data protection is very high which you would struggle to do all of it at home , as you may no , isn't that your world Government ??
    It is and you're talking utter bollocks.

If you meant 'find a solution', perhaps you should have said 'find a solution' as opposed to 'get on with it'.
    And perhaps you shouldn't jump to daft conclusions. A resolution to any industrial dispute is in everyone's interests

And perhaps you shouldn't jump to daft conclusions. A resolution to any industrial dispute is in everyone's interests
    To be fair, the phrase 'get on with it' was ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    To be fair, the phrase 'get on with it' was ambiguous.
    Yes, I acknowledge that..but the response to ambiguity isn't to accuse someone of not caring about "yourself, your family, your loved ones and your colleagues at risk, forget dilapidated buildings and shitty working conditions, forget underfunding and poor pay"

That's just classic strawman stuff.

Yes, I acknowledge that..but the response to ambiguity isn't to accuse someone of not caring about "yourself, your family, your loved ones and your colleagues at risk, forget dilapidated buildings and shitty working conditions, forget underfunding and poor pay"

That's just classic strawman stuff.
    Some posters are more combative and aggressive than others, of course.

Flexible hours working .
    Good pensions
    Paid Special leave
    Onsite Gym
    Free eyesight costs
    Staff discounts
    long term employment
    Those aren't working conditions, they are benefits, possibly designed to make up for the poor working conditions.

Flexible hours working .
    Good pensions
    Paid Special leave
    Onsite Gym
    Free eyesight costs
    Staff discounts
    long term employment
    What do you call “a good pension”. My mate worked for the CS for 44 years, how much do you think his pension is for working all those years?

This claim really interests me. Would you care to provide some details?
    Personal data on thousands of PC in homes , that may not be secure really , yes you allow gate ways in but I'm guessing we are talking serous money, unless you have the answer and care to share ?