+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Seatbelt Advice

O/T Seatbelt Advice

I've recently purchased a Ford Transit custom, and has a company install a set of two seats from a mini-bus ( also ford ) behind the front seats - the seats are supposed to be new as they have been removed from a mini-bus as part of a disabled conversion.

The seats look fine ( and new ), but when I sit in them and do the belt up - if I pull hard on the strap than runs from the shoulder to the hip the belt just flows - in the front seat if I do that the belt it sort of locks - but these don't - don't know whether the locking thing is only for front seats because there is more damage to do there, and for rear seats it just sort of keeps you in place.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Re: O/T Seatbelt Advice

that doesn't sound right to me

I can't answer the question but you should also check the V5C document regarding the number of seats the vehicle officially has. I purchased a campervan with 5 seats with seat belts but only 3 were on the document. A friend pointed it out to me as I hadn't noticed - and it could have serious insurance complications.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I can't answer the question but you should also check the V5C document regarding the number of seats the vehicle officially has. I purchased a campervan with 5 seats with seat belts but only 3 were on the document. A friend pointed it out to me as I hadn't noticed - and it could have serious insurance complications.
    Yes, I've only just had it done - I know I need to get the V5 updated.

The purpose of any seatbelt is to lock when force is applied. You need to get the company to install them properly.

Ask an expert in a garage?

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    Ask an expert in a garage?
    Yep, that was my next step - just wanted some free advice before i forked out a load of cash.

when retro fitted seats ( and Ive done a few in vans ) the seat belt needs to have 3 fixed points, the seat belt reel mount, the end of the seat belt mounted below that lower than the seat, and the clicking bit

sounds like they have fitted them wrong ( if they both do it ) , personally I wouldn't be spending anymore money, I would be going to see them and asking them to put it right, if they are miles away and its not worth it I would contact them and see what they say anyway, they might chip in to have a garage look at it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when retro fitted seats ( and Ive done a few in vans ) the seat belt needs to have 3 fixed points, the seat belt reel mount, the end of the seat belt mounted below that lower than the seat, and the clicking bit

sounds like they have fitted them wrong ( if they both do it ) , personally I wouldn't be spending anymore money, I would be going to see them and asking them to put it right, if they are miles away and its not worth it I would contact them and see what they say anyway, they might chip in to have a garage look at it
    The two rear seatblets I have are simply attached to the folded-up so called 'rock and roll' bed when it is being used as a seat. I would be reticent to use the seats as they have no headrests (and protection from whiplash injuries) but does that preclude them from being legal and added to the VC5 document? If not, how does one go about adding them to the VC5, please?

The two rear seatblets I have are simply attached to the folded-up so called 'rock and roll' bed when it is being used as a seat. I would be reticent to use the seats as they have no headrests (and protection from whiplash injuries) but does that preclude them from being legal and added to the VC5 document? If not, how does one go about adding them to the VC5, please?
    Yes, Ive seen them done like you describe ( usually using Mazda bongo seats ) personally, in a accident I am not sure if the seat hinge would hold, BUT its better than nothing I guess, as for being legal, the DVLA ( or whatever dept deals with it, I forget now ) always stated that seat belts needed to be " professionally fitted by a competent person " ( Legally a lose term )

doesn't need a headrest though

as for the VC5, just send it of to them with the seat number changed, thats it, that covers your insurance aswell by all accounts

as a side note TBG, if you do not use them as " seats when driving" then just leave as is, as they can just be a Bench seat for eating at

Matt - thanks for that - see attached is a photo of the seats...
    may make more sense

seats.jpg

as a side note TBG, if you do not use them as " seats when driving" then just leave as is, as they can just be a Bench seat for eating at
    Indeed. And for other things such as drinking wine and playing Scrabble when it's pouring down.....

All seatbelts are inertia. That means you can casually pull the cross-strap with your hand and it will 'flow out', as you put it, however, pull it sharply and it should lock.
    Normally, there are 3 anchor points. Hopefully, you have the 3 anchor points? If it isn't this , there might be something wrong with the belt itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Matt - thanks for that - see attached is a photo of the seats...
    may make more sense

seats.jpg

As you described, they have just taken them from a minibus and bolted them in your van ( might even be the same mounts on the chassis ) the units are all self contained so that can't really do anything wrong and I doubt that both are faulty, are you pulling the seatbelt sharp enough so it jolts ? ? ?

nice comfy seats though

Indeed. And for other things such as drinking wine and playing Scrabble when it's pouring down.....

you are so middle class, wine and scrabble

you are so middle class, wine and scrabble
    I moved on from Special Brew and arm wrestling a few months ago.

good man, onwards and upwards

As you described, they have just taken them from a minibus and bolted them in your van ( might even be the same mounts on the chassis ) the units are all self contained so that can't really do anything wrong and I doubt that both are faulty, are you pulling the seatbelt sharp enough so it jolts ? ? ?

nice comfy seats though
    I will try again- I only did it quickly
    Thanks for the advice
    Dave

If the belt isn't locking, then the chances are the drum is in the wrong position. Most of them have to be mounted vertically, with little room for error either way - or they don't lock. You can buy ones that work at an angle, but they're usually a special purchase. But if they are integral to the eat itself, then there shouldn't be an issue.

I will try again- I only did it quickly
    Thanks for the advice
    Dave
    give the belt drum a little tap aswell, they might have been upside down

Thanks for all the help on the thread ( especially @blue matt ) they are now working correctly!
    Dave

I've recently purchased a Ford Transit custom, and has a company install a set of two seats from a mini-bus ( also ford ) behind the front seats - the seats are supposed to be new as they have been removed from a mini-bus as part of a disabled conversion.

The seats look fine ( and new ), but when I sit in them and do the belt up - if I pull hard on the strap than runs from the shoulder to the hip the belt just flows - in the front seat if I do that the belt it sort of locks - but these don't - don't know whether the locking thing is only for front seats because there is more damage to do there, and for rear seats it just sort of keeps you in place.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
    You are Sorted..

i'm more of a sock filtered prison hooch and ker-plunk person myself