+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New GCSE subjects launched as part of overhaul in Wales

New GCSE subjects launched as part of overhaul in Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58898196

I'm not sure that streamlining maths and science GCSEs is a good idea.

Re: New GCSE subjects launched as part of overhaul in Wales

Interesting.
    Here in Ingerlund kids can do combined science (all 3 sciences, counts as 2 GCSEs) or triple science (separate GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics). Only 1 maths GCSE, not 2. English language and literature are still separate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Interesting.
    Here in Ingerlund kids can do combined science (all 3 sciences, counts as 2 GCSEs) or triple science (separate GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics). Only 1 maths GCSE, not 2. English language and literature are still separate too.
    That was the same as when I did GCSEs in Cardiff 25 years ago. This doesn't seem like some big fundamental change really

"Aspiring tattoo artist Erin Binnion, 18, said she supported a wider range of GCSEs, saying the current qualifications were "sometimes limited" and alternatives can be less attractive than first choices.."

Wales in the race to the top, as usual.

I'm not sure really. It's never easy to overhaul things like this as there will always be more people upset than supportive.

I do however thing that learning Welsh until 16 is unnecessary. By 14, you learn the cultural enrichment elements of the language and the basics of conversation etc but many will not be in a position to compete for Welsh language jobs - they can of course choose to continue to do it however. There is only so many hours in a day and I wonder whether the hours of 15 and 16 year olds may be better spent on other subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That was the same as when I did GCSEs in Cardiff 25 years ago. This doesn't seem like some big fundamental change really
    I was able to choose just 1 science subject, around the same time (back in the motherland) but other than that it was the same for me too.

I don't understand why they don't have much, if anything targeting trades.

Things like plumbing, carpentry, electrician, mechanic. I think I'd have found that really interesting and far more worthwhile day to dsy than many other subjects even if I didn't take it further. Even a combined class if the funding isn't there to diversify too much.

Teaching of saving, investing, mortgages is also something that was missing when I was in school.