go lectric

Re: O/T buying a new small car

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    go lectric
    I can’t afford an electric

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I can’t afford an electric
    With electric you need to look beyond the purchase price and it’s all about the total cost of ownership.
    Typically you will save around 2/3 in your fuel costs after the leccy bill goes up, no RFL, lower servicing costs and as it’s automatic less gear change fatigue in heavy traffic.

If you haven’t got off street parking - forget it.
    If it’s your only car - forget it.
    And no it’s not going to get you to see aunt ness in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    With electric you need to look beyond the purchase price and it’s all about the total cost of ownership.
    Typically you will save around 2/3 in your fuel costs after the leccy bill goes up, no RFL, lower servicing costs and as it’s automatic less gear change fatigue in heavy traffic.

I have a drive and garage. It’s our only car and I do approx 5,000 miles PA. I’ve had my old car 8 years from new, passed its MOT but the Gear box is on its way out according to my garage. It’s ticking over quickly. Plus my boot has decided not to open now.

I have no interest in cars in general but need a decent run around.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post

I know several people who have an electric car as their only one, it seems fine.

driving to Scotland would take a bit more planning, and charging time, but if you're only making that kind of journey a couple of times a year then that inconvenience is probably outweighed many times over by never having to go to a petrol station

C1, Aygo or 107, all the same car but under different badges, cheap to work on, low tax, cracking fuel consumption, we have had a 107 and daughter has a Aygo

The Aygo has a better spec then our 107

small & Nippy, easy to park

I remember when the Ford Ka came out and thought feck why would anyone want one of them.

Then I had a bump and my courtesy car was the same Ka. It was brilliant. Loved driving it really nippy.

Hyundai i10 are decent for a run around car

served me well for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    C1, Aygo or 107, all the same car but under different badges, cheap to work on, low tax, cracking fuel consumption, we have had a 107 and daughter has a Aygo

The Aygo has a better spec then our 107

small & Nippy, easy to park
    If Ninian Opinion is after a new car it will now be a 108.

Although there may be quite a wait for a new car. I ordered our new Peugeot through Motability in May. The last I heard it should be here in early November. That is for the larger 5008. I don't know what the 108 wait time is but I suspect it will be at least as long.

All the cars being mentioned are a bit small for family use?

I have a drive and garage. It’s our only car and I do approx 5,000 miles PA. I’ve had my old car 8 years from new, passed its MOT but the Gear box is on its way out according to my garage. It’s ticking over quickly. Plus my boot has decided not to open now.

What car do you have at the moment? If it needs a new gear box after 40,000 miles then I want to make sure I don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    What car do you have at the moment? If it needs a new gear box after 40,000 miles then I want to make sure I don't get one.
    Ford KA 2012. Very surprised as I really look after my cars. Garaged every night and low mileage. Full service history. They told me when I had my MOT last week that the gear box was on in its way out but it could last me until my next MOT ticking over very quickly so I guessed something was up. Perhaps I should get a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    If Ninian Opinion is after a new car it will now be a 108.
    yes, my mistake

Ford KA 2012. Very surprised as I really look after my cars. Garaged every night and low mileage. Full service history. They told me when I had my MOT last week that the gear box was on in its way out but it could last me until my next MOT ticking over very quickly so I guessed something was up. Perhaps I should get a second opinion.
    If the only symptom is a fast tick over then I think you should get a second opinion

If the only symptom is a fast tick over then I think you should get a second opinion
    It stops when I put my foot on the clutch. I have no idea about cars TBF. The garage I go to is a local one and I’ve know the boys who work there since school, very honest bunch. He said it’s a know problem with KA’s.

corgi...and the kids will be happy

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Agree I’ve had i10 great little car

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

+1.

Just bought a Peugeot 208e for the wife - really surprised just how good it is.

Is it high revving, rather than tickover? If so, seems a common problem.

Not read any further but a budget may help

I've never bought a new car, but always wondered what sort of money you can chip off a brand spanker?
    If its in the showroom for £25,000 and you offer £23,000 do you get it?

Don't ever buy a Renault biju

Its a noddy car , even for small people

Don’t get a C1 if you're tall I could not get my knees under the steering wheel