+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Club Structure - How Man City Built After Takeover

Club Structure - How Man City Built After Takeover

Really interesting article about how Man City built themselves up after the Abu Dhabi takeover.

It gives an insight into the type of structure that's needed to make a club a success - in contrast to our own structure.

Whilst I'm not suggesting that we can in way financially compete with Manchester City, it does go to show how far off the pace we are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58921000

Re: Club Structure - How Man City Built After Takeover

Manchester City afforded themselves mistakes.

Most, cannot. Especially with FFP

It obviously gets more complicated the higher up the pyramid you go with more spent but you still need the fundamental parts in place with all knowing what they are doing and having the same end goal - a successful first team.

For me those fundamentals are a decent board/DOF, a decent manager and a top notch (where money allows) and productive academy.

For me, and I've been over it time and again, we have underperforming people and areas throughout our set up and no intention of changing any of them to any great degree.
    The owner puts money into the club but I have little sympathy for them when we fail to fix glaring levels of incompetence within the club.

We have a structure in a very loose sense. Is there a united goal for all aspects of the club?
    The academy playing football and the first team playing a totally different style suggests not.

With you on that, Lewjie!

The article demonstrates just how far off we are structurally. There’s no reason why we can’t emulate some of those things, even if we obviously wouldn’t be anywhere near competing on the financial side for the transfers.

Why can’t our board see this? As my Dad used to say “it’s as plain as the nose on your face”.

Just watched Man City " all or nothing" on Amazon. It was Amazing.
    Brilliant program , think I may have them as my 6th side .

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Really interesting article about how Man City built themselves up after the Abu Dhabi takeover.

It gives an insight into the type of structure that's needed to make a club a success - in contrast to our own structure.

Whilst I'm not suggesting that we can in way financially compete with Manchester City, it does go to show how far off the pace we are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58921000
    Does it mention steal everybody important from another successful football team and rinse and repeat (Barcelona)?

Man City are clearly very well run AND they have almost limitless money. The premier league has been the richest league for a while now, but in the past a lot of clubs would just throw money about and not really get anywhere - these days they seem to have gotten a whole lot smarter as a group, from top to bottom.

We certainly haven't been that smart in the way we operate for years now, but there have been a few tiny hints more recently of some kind of strategy at least.

I'm a big fan of the director of football model - but just having someone in that role isn't a panacea. What it does do is hopefully get you to look at the longer term in terms of the footballing side. You don't have to have a DoF to do that well, and you can still do that badly with one too.

There are some decent points in that article, but they aren't all that relevant to our situation. They are:

1) Create a new mindset - this seems to be around improving recruitment personnel etc. I think that we have fairly recently brought some people into the club on that side of things

2) Walk away from "pay-day" players - different level to the type of players Man City would be looking at, but I take this point to be about getting value from your signings. 6m for Gary Madine, or offering a 34year old another contract aren't good value, but hopefully we've learned that lesson. The club have made noises about signing players whose value can increase - lets see if they follow through with it.

3) Moving to Newcastle not an issue - I think that our location was a bit of a negative when we were in the lower leagues, but I don't think it is when you get up to the championship

4)Build up to the game changing signings - yep, I can't see that applying to us any time soon

5) Owners need to trust people to do their jobs - I have no idea how hands on the owners are or not. The board seemingly blocked the Marley Watkins move, but I don't have any complaints about that.

6) Prepare for bumps in the road - what club doesn't have bumps in the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Just watched Man City " all or nothing" on Amazon. It was Amazing.
    Brilliant program , think I may have them as my 6th side .
    That’s Rangers dropped a place then

We should be modelling ourselves on a club like Leicester. 11 years ago we beat them in a play off semi-final. Look at the contrast today. Perhaps the chuckle brothers should spend a couple of days up there to see how a club should be run.

@Rijk very well put and perhaps what I should’ve alluded to.
    I’m not suggesting that we should try and be Man City, but there are some interesting points about how things are done at a well run club.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    We should be modelling ourselves on a club like Leicester. 11 years ago we beat them in a play off semi-final. Look at the contrast today. Perhaps the chuckle brothers should spend a couple of days up there to see how a club should be run.
    probably a big degree of survivorship bias going on here. a club can do everything right and through bad luck end up failing. other clubs can be run in a haphazard way but end up being successful

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It obviously gets more complicated the higher up the pyramid you go with more spent but you still need the fundamental parts in place with all knowing what they are doing and having the same end goal - a successful first team.

For me those fundamentals are a decent board/DOF, a decent manager and a top notch (where money allows) and productive academy.

For me, and I've been over it time and again, we have underperforming people and areas throughout our set up and no intention of changing any of them to any great degree.
    The owner puts money into the club but I have little sympathy for them when we fail to fix glaring levels of incompetence within the club.

We have a structure in a very loose sense. Is there a united goal for all aspects of the club?
    The academy playing football and the first team playing a totally different style suggests not.
    A decent board, a CEO that has a clue….else you just blow millions, exactly like Tan has done. He will never get what he’s lost back so he might aswell sell up. Surely we a ripe for a takeover.