+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember Dennis Law’s handball goal against Wales at Ninian Park?

Re: Anyone remember Dennis Law’s handball goal against Wales at Ninian Park?

If I remember..In 85 the ball was blasted against Phillips(?) arm, and would have probably ended up in Sloper Road if it hadn’t hit him.
    Never a penalty, we were robbed again.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This whole Scotland thing has been exaggerated out of all proportion, Yes, Joe Jordan cheated but we were outplayed and lost 2-0 anyway and finished last in the group with a record of W1 D0 L3. In 1985 Scotland were awarded a (somewhat harsh) penalty after the ball hit one of our player's hands in the area. It happens. What are Scotland supposed to do? Turn it down?
    Jordan’s reaction after his blatant cheating was rewarded was the thing I disliked the most and, although it counted for very little in the grand scheme of things, I was really pleased when he was sent off in another Wales v Scotland match at the Vetch a few years later. The penalty in 1985 was more debatable and I can understand why that one was given, it was how close Neville Southall came to saving it that was more galling to me at the time.

However, you’re not telling me that Scotland, a more passionate football nation than us I would say, would just forget about how Wales had benefitted if the roles had been reveresed and, say, John Toshack had done what Jordan did to ensure qualification for a World Cup?

I supported Scotland in the 1974 World Cup and felt sorry for them after the way they bowed out of that competition, but after what Jordan did, I took great pleasure in their shambolic 1978 campaign and have never regarded them in the way I used to since Anfield 1977.

'. . . it’s worth a look at for the way spectators just kept on running on and off the pitch with nobody seeming that bothered about it.'

Different world. The 12-year-old me gave John Toshack many a pat on the back after he scored a goal. The stewards made perfunctory efforts to stop us as we poured on to the field but we were far too many.

Inconceivable today.

I might not be a fan of Scotland’s football team, but I’m behind their cricket side in their T20 World Cup match with Bangladesh and they could win win - Bangladesh need 61 off 33balls with four wickets down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Off the topic slightly, was anyone else here at the City v Man City game, I think it was 1961/62 season when he deliberately broke Steve Gammons Leg? You could here the break from Canton Stand all across the ground, sadly ended a career that looked to be a very good one.
    I was there in the Canton Stand too and yes I can still hear the crack when his leg broke, shocking tackle and I've only just forgiven Mr McLaw since his recent passing. Think it was a bit later than 61/62, perhaps 64/65ish?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I was there in the Canton Stand too and yes I can still hear the crack when his leg broke, shocking tackle and I've only just forgiven Mr McLaw since his recent passing. Think it was a bit later than 61/62, perhaps 64/65ish?
    He is still alive . You can rekindle your ire.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I might not be a fan of Scotland’s football team, but I’m behind their cricket side in their T20 World Cup match with Bangladesh and they could win win - Bangladesh need 61 off 33balls with four wickets down.
    Scotland won a game of cricket...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Scotland won a game of cricket...
    Joe Jordan took three catches.......great with his hands that lad.