+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tory MP Stabbed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tory MP Stabbed

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It’s obviously a shocking event and yes things seem to have become a bit more extreme in recent years, and the vital skill of disagreeing but getting by is sparse. But your username suggests you are in the US, and as far as I can tell you guys are in the middle of a slow burning civil war. God knows what the results of the next election will cause.

It’s not that bad here yet. Covid hasn’t helped as it’s eroded the social structure of the country, but I’ve been heartened in recent weeks by the generally civil manner in which we’ve generally navigated things like extinction rebellion etc. From the outside looking in, the US looks like a powder keg waiting to blow, in particular due to the way that vaccination has become politicised (despite the Donald himself having the jab). We have serious issues to deal with and hopefully some of the issues around fair pay will come in to sharp focus now, but I think we are a long way off the death of civil debate here.
    It is bonkers over here Mate.
    The politicization of The vaccine and Mask Wearing just baffles me.

I do think though, that the whole Western World is emersed in the same Cultural Civil War.
    It's no longer just a traditional Left v Right situation....you can throw the Intersectionality powder keg into the mix as well.

The language used towards others on this board alone (Myself very much included) is terrible.
    Accusations of bigotry and facism are thrown about frivolously on Social Media.

Maybe the answer is to have to register with ID to use Social Media.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

I do think though, that the whole Western World is emersed in the same Cultural Civil War.
    It's no longer just a traditional Left v Right situation....you can throw the Intersectionality powder keg into the mix as well.

The language used towards others on this board alone (Myself very much included) is terrible.

Think you’re right about ‘culture wars’ and the West.

Some countries are suffering more than others not surprisingly these countries have prominent politicians who use the ‘culture wars’ to maintain power and their own position, the states had Trump whilst we’ve got Boris Johnson. Probably the two most toxic countries where these processes have been sown and where they’ll now reap the awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

There has to be a line though right? We can't sanitise debate to the degree where nobody can have a strong opinion because it might incite some twat to go and stab somebody. On the point of civil debate, yeah you wont find me arguing that people dismiss and belittle other peoples opinions by chucking around words/phrases that don't often apply when scrutinised (nazi, fascist, far left, far right) but sometimes they do apply and some opinions are abhorrent, shouldn't be viewed as legitimate counter-positions and don't actually warrant respect.

Nice gesture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58951768

A mural of Sir David Amess has appeared at a skatepark he opened 13 years ago