+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tory MP Stabbed

Re: Tory MP Stabbed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can remember him winning Basildon I think it was in 1983, it was one of the first results to come through and confirmed the Tories were on their way to as big a victory as the polls were predicting. So, he was an MP, and a backbencher, for nearly forty years and, based on stuff I’d heard about him before today’s tragedy, he was popular with not just members of his own party. Whether the murder was politically motivated or down to an unhinged constituent, the action which should have been taken after Jo Cox’s murder really has to be now.
    Well said. My understanding is he was a pretty honourable, joyous and hard working MP who seemingly put constituents first.

Tremendously sad.

I can remember him winning Basildon I think it was in 1983, it was one of the first results to come through and confirmed the Tories were on their way to as big a victory as the polls were predicting. So, he was an MP, and a backbencher, for nearly forty years and, based on stuff I’d heard about him before today’s tragedy, he was popular with not just members of his own party. Whether the murder was politically motivated or down to an unhinged constituent, the action which should have been taken after Jo Cox’s murder really has to be now.
    It was 92 and was a sign that Major was going to pick up a surprise win.

Left wing tory , came over as a decent man

Anti Abortionist , Pro animal rights

I don't think this is anything to do with politics more to do with the internal schism of whoever did this

As someone else has said that's the end of open gp surgeries

Very very sad day. A man of conviction and decency. I particularly admired his stance on animal rights. Whatever ones political beliefs this is a horrific tragedy and casts a shadow over all of us.

Terrible, terrible atrocity, devastating for his family and friends. I’d hope that MP surgeries can stay face to face though, it would seem like giving in to these nutters. Maybe a lot of MPs would agree. Evil bastards mustn’t win. RIP to a decent man.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I believe the going salary for an MP these days is in the 80k-90k range. Easy money if you’re in a relatively unimportant safe seat. Most people would vote for your party without giving a damn what your policies are so minimal effort or campaigning needed.
    The intrusion, the pressure, the hostility, the constant watching over your shoulder, people looking into your expenses etc for effectively the salary of a middle manager

Is it really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Very very sad day. A man of conviction and decency. I particularly admired his stance on animal rights. Whatever ones political beliefs this is a horrific tragedy and casts a shadow over all of us.
    Indeed.

I won't be having any political debate on here for a few days.

Much of it seems somewhat shallow after a tragedy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Left wing tory , came over as a decent man

Anti Abortionist , Pro animal rights

I don't think this is anything to do with politics more to do with the internal schism of whoever did this

As someone else has said that's the end of open gp surgeries
    Maybe I’m being stupid but what’s left wing about being anti abortion? Looking at his voting record he wasn’t a left wing Tory at all.

That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a decent man of course but I wouldn’t call him a left wing Tory. Anyway probably not the place to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It was 92 and was a sign that Major was going to pick up a surprise win.
    Stupid me, of course it was.

I was surprised when you said 83...Michael Foot etc

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Maybe I’m being stupid but what’s left wing about being anti abortion? Looking at his voting record he wasn’t a left wing Tory at all.

That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a decent man of course but I wouldn’t call him a left wing Tory. Anyway probably not the place to discuss.
    Like a lot of religious Conservatives he was anti abortion

But he was a moderate social Conservative compared to a lot of the party

Awful, sickening.

RIP Sir David

He won in 1983 as well Bob

Horrific events today. Yet another unhinged lunatic causes mayhem and heartbreak.
    Hopefully open surgeries will continue, but surely security and body searches have got to be introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Indeed.

I won't be having any political debate on here for a few days.

Much of it seems somewhat shallow after a tragedy like this.
    Not engaging in Debate would be disrespectful to the memory of this poor MP. Murdered by someone who had no intention in participating in discussion or listening to different view points. Keeping quiet would be a tragedy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not engaging in Debate would be disrespectful to the memory of this poor MP. Murdered by someone who had no intention in participating in discussion or listening to different view points. Keeping quiet would be a tragedy in my opinion.
    I see what you mean and perhaps I phrased it badly but I think we should all try to keep away from petty political point scoring in our debates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Civil debate and acknowledging that we have different views are a thing of the past sadly.

You just have to look at the pile ons here or any other forum to see how venomous things have become.

I see what you mean and perhaps I phrased it badly but I think we should all try to keep away from petty political point scoring in our debates.
    Its a sad moment once again innocent life taken no matter his or her politics one deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Civil debate and acknowledging that we have different views are a thing of the past sadly.

You just have to look at the pile ons here or any other forum to see how venomous things have become.
    So true sadly

I remember that he had that big beaming smile which probably annoyed a few 🤭 .

Awful for the family he dedicated his life to his political beliefs which was ended in a dreadful way , no one deserves this , no matter their believes.

Life can be shit.

It’s obviously a shocking event and yes things seem to have become a bit more extreme in recent years, and the vital skill of disagreeing but getting by is sparse. But your username suggests you are in the US, and as far as I can tell you guys are in the middle of a slow burning civil war. God knows what the results of the next election will cause.

It’s not that bad here yet. Covid hasn’t helped as it’s eroded the social structure of the country, but I’ve been heartened in recent weeks by the generally civil manner in which we’ve generally navigated things like extinction rebellion etc. From the outside looking in, the US looks like a powder keg waiting to blow, in particular due to the way that vaccination has become politicised (despite the Donald himself having the jab). We have serious issues to deal with and hopefully some of the issues around fair pay will come in to sharp focus now, but I think we are a long way off the death of civil debate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It’s obviously a shocking event and yes things seem to have become a bit more extreme in recent years, and the vital skill of disagreeing but getting by is sparse. But your username suggests you are in the US, and as far as I can tell you guys are in the middle of a slow burning civil war. God knows what the results of the next election will cause.

It’s not that bad here yet. Covid hasn’t helped as it’s eroded the social structure of the country, but I’ve been heartened in recent weeks by the generally civil manner in which we’ve generally navigated things like extinction rebellion etc. From the outside looking in, the US looks like a powder keg waiting to blow, in particular due to the way that vaccination has become politicised (despite the Donald himself having the jab). We have serious issues to deal with and hopefully some of the issues around fair pay will come in to sharp focus now, but I think we are a long way off the death of civil debate here.
    It is bonkers over here Mate.
    The politicization of The vaccine and Mask Wearing just baffles me.

I do think though, that the whole Western World is emersed in the same Cultural Civil War.
    It's no longer just a traditional Left v Right situation....you can throw the Intersectionality powder keg into the mix as well.

The language used towards others on this board alone (Myself very much included) is terrible.
    Accusations of bigotry and facism are thrown about frivolously on Social Media.

Maybe the answer is to have to register with ID to use Social Media.

It is bonkers over here Mate.
    The politicization of The vaccine and Mask Wearing just baffles me.

I do think though, that the whole Western World is emersed in the same Cultural Civil War.
    It's no longer just a traditional Left v Right situation....you can throw the Intersectionality powder keg into the mix as well.

The language used towards others on this board alone (Myself very much included) is terrible.
    Accusations of bigotry and facism are thrown about frivolously on Social Media.

Maybe the answer is to have to register with ID to use Social Media.
    Think you’re right about ‘culture wars’ and the West.

Some countries are suffering more than others not surprisingly these countries have prominent politicians who use the ‘culture wars’ to maintain power and their own position, the states had Trump whilst we’ve got Boris Johnson. Probably the two most toxic countries where these processes have been sown and where they’ll now reap the awards.

He won in 1983 as well Bob
    Yes, I knew he'd been an MP for almost forty years, but Pearcey was right. My mistake was that I thought he gained the seat for the Conservatives in the election I talked about, hence why I said 1983, but he was a sitting MP who was expected to lose and it was his holding on to the seat which gave the first real clue that the Conservatives would keep their overall majority in 1992.

i'm not talking about you here Elwood, but, speaking as someone who does tend to bang on about party politics on here too much, I don't think the response in this thread has been bad at all, the only disagreement I've seen was very minor and related to whether David Amess was a left wing tory or not - of course, that may change in the coming days as more details as to the motives of the murderer emerge.