+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stagecoach bus drivers going on strike next week

Stagecoach bus drivers going on strike next week

Services from the depots in Blackwood, Brynmawr, Pontypool and Cwmbran are going to be severely disrupted from Tuesday as drivers go on strike over pay and conditions. Stagecoach drivers in other parts of the UK are also striking. Arriva drivers are planning similar actions.

The bus industry looks like the next that will have a radical shake up. Services have been hit as drivers have had to isolate having suffered Covid. There is also some evidence of bus drivers turning to haulage after wages have risen dramatically there.

Re: Stagecoach bus drivers going on strike next week

I know a phew drivers and they are so poorly paid some are paid 9.25 to 9.50 they want 10.50 which is not unreasonable.

Good on them

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Good on them
    Indeed the responsibility is important to others ,when you consider train drivers wages as a comparison its crazy .

Family friend is a train driver is on about £60k a year, says he could never drive a bus driver much harder job..

meanwhile warehouse workers earn more than them. Good luck to them with their strike.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Family friend is a train driver is on about £60k a year, says he could never drive a bus driver much harder job..

meanwhile warehouse workers earn more than them. Good luck to them with their strike.
    Stagecoach has offered 10.10 ,bless them .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know a phew drivers and they are so poorly paid some are paid 9.25 to 9.50 they want 10.50 which is not unreasonable.
    Bus operations since privatisation have got worse. Bus operators operate most of their services on a commercial basis, the unprofitable ones receive some local authority subsidy.

Giving drivers a thoroughly deserved wage rise will hit passengers in the pocket, at a time where fare paying passengers is in decline and reimbursement from free bus passes is at an all time low per head.

I can't see a way that the bus industry will thrive as things are if drivers can earn much more elsewhere. Government intervention might be essential. Perhaps we'll get back to having a nationalised bus industry....

Banned

Anyone who strikes is a ^%$& if you ask me.
    Take the job or don't.
    Go and do something better paid then.
    You're a poxy bus driver like.
    Fack off mun

All part of the quiet revolution that is the great resignation. Some of the forecasts for labour shortages in vital sectors are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Anyone who strikes is a &^*% if you ask me.
    Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    Nobody did ask you. It’s common practice to say “don’t take offence, but” before saying something like this, but you should take offence by it: you come across as a mouth breathing, knuckle dragging moron.

Anyone who strikes is a &^*% if you ask me.
    Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    If they are only a “poxy bus driver” why are you getting so wound up?

My concerns are more long term. With trials on driverless cars starting in the UK, where would that leave buses, taxi driver jobs and even car ownership?
    Call a driverless car on your phone, it picks you up and takes you to your destination and then moves on to the next pick-up. Going home? Order another one.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    My concerns are more long term. With trials on driverless cars starting in the UK, where would that leave buses, taxi driver jobs and even car ownership?
    Call a driverless car on your phone, it picks you up and takes you to your destination and then moves on to the next pick-up. Going home? Order another one.
    I don't really see the downside to this. It sounds preferable to car ownership; and if chunks of the population are freed up from doing tasks like driving, can't we focus efforts on more forward-looking activities?

Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun

Don't sit on the fence, get it off your chest.

Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    What if the terms change once you’re in the job? If it wasn’t for striking we’d have hardly any of the benefits we currently have for workers in this country.

Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    How many kids you got up the chimney today?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I don't really see the downside to this. It sounds preferable to car ownership; and if chunks of the population are freed up from doing tasks like driving, can't we focus efforts on more forward-looking activities?
    I agree with you but my point was more to do with a swathe of taxi/bus drivers being made redundant, never mind the coach building industry.

Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    Bootlicking knobhead

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I agree with you but my point was more to do with a swathe of taxi/bus drivers being made redundant, never mind the coach building industry.
    Had a taxi home from town after the Reading game, driver was telling me that Cardiff is overloaded with cabbies, too many. Young fella about 30 I s’pose, said he’d love to get into the heavy goods game but had no way of affording the initial financial lay out and if he could would he get work immediately with no HGV experience. Catch 22.

Take the job or don't.
    Fack off mun
    Is this a joke? Why should owners of companies get away with underpaying their staff? What's wrong with driving a bus 8 hours a day? Bus driving is a skilled job and requires a certain level of responsibility. And of course, you have to deal with people looking down on you for no good reason. Could you drive a bus through London?