+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stagecoach bus drivers going on strike next week

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Stagecoach bus drivers going on strike next week

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    My concerns are more long term. With trials on driverless cars starting in the UK, where would that leave buses, taxi driver jobs and even car ownership?
    Call a driverless car on your phone, it picks you up and takes you to your destination and then moves on to the next pick-up. Going home? Order another one.
    I don't really see the downside to this. It sounds preferable to car ownership; and if chunks of the population are freed up from doing tasks like driving, can't we focus efforts on more forward-looking activities?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I don't really see the downside to this. It sounds preferable to car ownership; and if chunks of the population are freed up from doing tasks like driving, can't we focus efforts on more forward-looking activities?
    I agree with you but my point was more to do with a swathe of taxi/bus drivers being made redundant, never mind the coach building industry.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I agree with you but my point was more to do with a swathe of taxi/bus drivers being made redundant, never mind the coach building industry.
    Had a taxi home from town after the Reading game, driver was telling me that Cardiff is overloaded with cabbies, too many. Young fella about 30 I s’pose, said he’d love to get into the heavy goods game but had no way of affording the initial financial lay out and if he could would he get work immediately with no HGV experience. Catch 22.