+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our wingbacks

Our wingbacks

I thought this needed a separate thread, but it shows playing 5 centrebacks doesn’t work as both don’t know where to position themselves. Brown is awful but is not helped by being played as a wingback

It doesn’t work

Mick’s got to go

Re: Our wingbacks

Wingbacks

.....are not wing backs, they are centre backs.

This is the main flaw with Mick in the recent run of games.

Out of nowhere he opts to not only stick with 5 at the back, which is already handicapping Cardiff's ability to be competitive in the middle of the park as all play a very deep line, but he then goes with all 5 at the back to be centre backs.

To continue with this just signals to me he's looking for a way out. As there is absolutely no way he can justify going with that line up yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wingbacks
    ^^^^^^ This

You see a lot of managers convert wingers into wingbacks because it’s so important they get forward and give the worth needed. No not MM he turns CBS into “wingbacks”

Just think back to that time when Keiffer Moore had to run thirty yards with the ball with no team mate within thirty yards of him - we played a rigid 5-4-1 with the striker completely isolated from the other ten and we didn’t change after going 1-0 down.

Wombats is probably more accurate

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    You see a lot of managers convert wingers into wingbacks because it’s so important they get forward and give the worth needed. No not MM he turns CBS into “wingbacks”
    You can just imagine Scoular “Ronnie Bird’s out today, Don you’re on the wing”!!!!!!

Drop Flint, go to a back four. Play two strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Why Flint??? He’s been probably the best of the centre half’s. Him and McGuiness I’d pick.

What happened to the halcyon days of Bennett and NG.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just think back to that time when Keiffer Moore had to run thirty yards with the ball with no team mate within thirty yards of him - we played a rigid 5-4-1 with the striker completely isolated from the other ten and we didn’t change after going 1-0 down.
    Spot on .

Totally agree. Flint has been the pick of the (many) centre halves this season, even today, and McGuiness has done his best playing out of position. Morrison should be dropped for his utter carelessness leading to their third and his inept captaincy - when the manager's not up to it the Club capt's got to step in during derby to get more than we got today. Nelson is just as culpable. Bacuna should be sacked as well.

Start with re-organising the defence. Pack in the centra and Ralls left wing back would introduce more ball players at the back as opposed to 6 foot plus clumsy cloggers

If we are playing 5 at the back then pick Ng and Bagan. At least they can actually play wing back.

I think MacGuiness needs to be given a run at centre half.

I'd like to know exactly what Ng and Bagan did so wrong that centre backs are deemed better options

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd like to know exactly what Ng and Bagan did so wrong that centre backs are deemed better options
    Didnt fit Micks game plan which always goes well until the opposition score.

Unfortunately its 0 scored and 7 conceded so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Didnt fit Micks game plan which always goes well until the opposition score.

Unfortunately its 0 scored and 7 conceded so far.
    Well we conceded 4 to West Brom and only 3 today, that's improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Totally agree. Flint has been the pick of the (many) centre halves this season, even today, and McGuiness has done his best playing out of position. Morrison should be dropped for his utter carelessness leading to their third and his inept captaincy - when the manager's not up to it the Club capt's got to step in during derby to get more than we got today. Nelson is just as culpable. Bacuna should be sacked as well.
    I like Flint, and have done since he arrived, but if you want to change to a back four, then he's the one you'd drop, because he's so slow.

I like Flint, and have done since he arrived, but if you want to change to a back four, then he's the one you'd drop, because he's so slow.
    Totally agree.

I’m not sure Morrison has been fit at any point this season. Nelson has seemed to have lost his way. Other than Flint I don’t think the others are comfortable in a back 5.

Ive been saying this for years...we only need three centre backs in defense then five centre backs in mid field