+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our defence

Our defence

When we beat Man City 3-2 in our first PL season I remember the MOTD2 pundit (Shearer possibly?) commenting on how well drilled we were at the back. If we stepped out, we did in a line at the same time and our discipline was excellent.

How different was today? Cieran Brown nodded off and played their second goalscorer onside. As a centre back he should sure be most aware about keeping the defensive line. Was it a case of him not being switched on or was it due to a lack of training, practicing the same defensive drills over and over again? My feeling is that it was the latter.

I was alarmed at the number of times defenders switched off today and I wonder if it's anything to do with having so many of them there? There are too many defenders who were not marking anyone, just trotting around, with nothing to do. I think we expected someone to put the ball out of play or hoof it upfield seconds before Paterson scored, but that didn't happen and Paterson found acres of space outside the box.

The tactical difference between both sides with regard clearing the ball was noticeable. We are happy to concede throw ins or blast the ball upfield as far as possible to enable players to get into position. The more the ball stays in play the more defenders get pulled out of position and we look more like conceding. Swansea, on the other hand, tried to avoid putting the ball out for throw-ins, preferring to give us possession, which we would then waste.

Re: Our defence

I wouldnt overthink it. The flat back 5 all centre backs is a complete joke and a shambles.

I doubt even the players have any belief in it.

He needs to go along with TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I wouldnt overthink it. The flat back 5 all centre backs is a complete joke and a shambles.

I doubt even the players have any belief in it.

He needs to go along with TC.
    I think we only have players for a back 5 but a more expansive manager may use NG and Giles to give us energy and width

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When we beat Man City 3-2 in our first PL season I remember the MOTD2 pundit (Shearer possibly?) commenting on how well drilled we were at the back. If we stepped out, we did in a line at the same time and our discipline was excellent.

How different was today? Cieran Brown nodded off and played their second goalscorer onside. As a centre back he should sure be most aware about keeping the defensive line. Was it a case of him not being switched on or was it due to a lack of training, practicing the same defensive drills over and over again? My feeling is that it was the latter.

I was alarmed at the number of times defenders switched off today and I wonder if it's anything to do with having so many of them there? There are too many defenders who were not marking anyone, just trotting around, with nothing to do. I think we expected someone to put the ball out of play or hoof it upfield seconds before Paterson scored, but that didn't happen and Paterson found acres of space outside the box.

The tactical difference between both sides with regard clearing the ball was noticeable. We are happy to concede throw ins or blast the ball upfield as far as possible to enable players to get into position. The more the ball stays in play the more defenders get pulled out of position and we look more like conceding. Swansea, on the other hand, tried to avoid putting the ball out for throw-ins, preferring to give us possession, which we would then waste.
    He was terrified of the pace he was up against so couldn't push up the pitch when they had possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I agree with this completely. The defensive set-up is blatantly ridiculous and the manager has clearly lost the plot. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

The only difference between Mick and Neil is one believed in pace built on a physical team approach .

It's quite remarkable that having conceded goal after goal with a packed defence that Mick thinks the solution is to keep packing it.

Football takes place all over the pitch, not just our final third.

The defence is so overcrowded no one knows who is where and doing what. It really is a shambles.

No outlet and no pace and no passing ability means the defence will always be under pressure and crumble.

Our best performance in terms of possession and chances was against Reading... We were unlucky not to win, the difference in that game was we played with less defenders, a bit more pace and energy and played further up the pitch, easing the pressure on the defence and taking the game to the opposition.

Sadly Mick stubbornly abandoned that and reverted to an overcrowding defence, again.

Mick is no pragmatists... He's a stupid, stupid man.