+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Director of Football - Again!

Director of Football - Again!

The manager’s selection and set up of the team these last few weeks show that we need a Director of Football - someone who’ll indicate to the Board that all is not well, or that the manager’s lost the plot!
    This is aside from all of the other reasons already discussed in great length on this board.

Re: Director of Football - Again!

It's bleedin' obvious that "all is not well, or that the manager’s lost the plot!". We don't need a DOF to know that.

The phrase ‘Blind man on a galloping horse’ springs to mind.

How about Danny Gabbidon as DOE and Scott Young as manager , to manager our many central defender's .

It does seem as though Stephen McPhail would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    It's bleedin' obvious that "all is not well, or that the manager’s lost the plot!". We don't need a DOF to know that.
    That's true. But I have long thought that a DOF is needed at city to bridge the gap between manager and coaches and the board.

We have had manager after manager spaff money away on players without any thought to the style of play, possible resell value and ensuring the team is balanced.

If Lennie Lawrence (as an example) had been DOF when Malky was in place... He would have mentored him and also ensured the club didn't pay extraordinary amounts on players who weren't worth it... Cornelius as an example.

If Lennie had been DOF Ole would not have been allowed to bring in around 200 players.

If we had a DOF Warnock wouldn't have been allowed to spend money on players who were never going to fit into his style of play.

In terms of this season.... A DOF would have never allowed the board or manager to go into a season without a single winger, pace or creativity.

A DOF transcends managers and would also oversee the linkages between academy and first team.

A DOF does though should the deficiencies in football knowledge at board level and sadly Dalman is way too arrogant to acknowledge he is absolutely clueless at running a football club.

There is a 1% chance Tan will appoint a DoF. Him and Dalman think they’re doing a good job in terms of recruitment. Dalman has said so many times. Dalman and Choo need to go.

I'm a big fan of the DoF model. there are many different ways it is implemented, but it gives the club the opportunity to build something over a longer period, rather than crashing from one short term fix to the next.

however, having a director of football does not prevent the problem we had yesterday, which was a manager playing a completely nonsensical formation, with seemingly little clue how to make it work.

I'm sure Tan doesn't let people with no experience or knowledge of the particular industry run any of his other businesses. Why does he let Dalman and Choo run his football club?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm a big fan of the DoF model. there are many different ways it is implemented, but it gives the club the opportunity to build something over a longer period, rather than crashing from one short term fix to the next.

however, having a director of football does not prevent the problem we had yesterday, which was a manager playing a completely nonsensical formation, with seemingly little clue how to make it work.
    I agree that it doesn't fix the problem but a DOF at least asks him what he was playing at after the West Brom disaster. He communicates this to those above him and the owner and they get at least some idea of why this was lunacy.

I get the impression Mick and a coach of that vintage could give several reasons why he has played 5 centre backs and it would be more than above the level of understanding of those in charge of our club. Look at the run around Warnock gave them.

This is why we need a DOF. The club is expensive to run but it is needlessly expensive in many areas due to a simple lack of knowledge.
    I'm fed up of owners just making sweeping decisions like we need to save money without thinking it through or realising the impact of the decision and how this weakens the team etc. This isn't a Kenny Roger's Roaster or the like, it is a professional football club.

You don’t need a DoF, you need a good Manager, a CEO who knows his onions and a decent Chairman. The manager should also sign a few who know where the onion bag is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I agree that it doesn't fix the problem but a DOF at least asks him what he was playing at after the West Brom disaster. He communicates this to those above him and the owner and they get at least some idea of why this was lunacy.

I get the impression Mick and a coach of that vintage could give several reasons why he has played 5 centre backs and it would be more than above the level of understanding of those in charge of our club. Look at the run around Warnock gave them.

This is why we need a DOF. The club is expensive to run but it is needlessly expensive in many areas due to a simple lack of knowledge.
    I'm fed up of owners just making sweeping decisions like we need to save money without thinking it through or realising the impact of the decision and how this weakens the team etc. This isn't a Kenny Roger's Roaster or the like, it is a professional football club.
    it's clear you don't like Tan or anyone that he's bought in, so are going to criticise anything they do, but if you look at the finances cost cutting isnt a decision we can avoid at the moment, unless we had a realistic chance of promotion. which we don't.
    if you look at the numbers we have to cut costs. if we can bring youth players through then we will be in a better position when we are able to start rebuilding again. all Mick needs to do is keep us mid table while that happens, but he's making an absolute mess of that with his bizarre decisions

it's clear you don't like Tan or anyone that he's bought in, so are going to criticise anything they do, but if you look at the finances cost cutting isnt a decision we can avoid at the moment, unless we had a realistic chance of promotion. which we don't.
    if you look at the numbers we have to cut costs. if we can bring youth players through then we will be in a better position when we are able to start rebuilding again. all Mick needs to do is keep us mid table while that happens, but he's making an absolute mess of that with his bizarre decisions
    You talk about the costs cutting as if it has crept up on us. The cost cutting needs to be to such a ridiculous level because Tan and the people he employs got us in that situation. You talk as if these signings and contracts have written themselves. Tan, Choo and Dalman directly overseen every contract that was given out. They are directly responsible.

My opinion of our owner and people that run this club is where it is at because they don't seem to have a clue what they are doing.

As for me not liking Tan or anybody he has brought in, I suppose you think they are quality additions are they and Tan should be commended for his clever decision making on football matters?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You talk about the costs cutting as if it has crept up on us. The cost cutting needs to be to such a ridiculous level because Tan and the people he employs got us in that situation. You talk as if these signings and contracts have written themselves. Tan, Choo and Dalman directly overseen every contract that was given out. They are directly responsible.

My opinion of our owner and people that run this club is where it is at because they don't seem to have a clue what they are doing.
    Could be called mistakes your ice cream buddy made hundreds of them.
    Bore off back to the rear end of your puppet masters underpants.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Could be called mistakes your ice cream buddy made hundreds of them.
    Bore off back to the rear end of your puppet masters underpants.
    What on earth are you on about?

If you are in some way saying I'm pro Hammam then you couldn't be further from the truth.

I am not keen on the way our owner and the people he puts in charge run our club because in short they are not very good at it, they do not learn from their mistakes and fail to acknowledge their lack of football knowledge as a large part of our problems.

Tan is not a great owner but Hammam. Come on, that's ridiculous.