+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: what was Tallinn like ?

what was Tallinn like ?

for those who did some mooching around whilst there ?

cia

Re: what was Tallinn like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    for those who did some mooching around whilst there ?

cia
    Really nice old part of the city, dating from 1300's with lots of quaint buildings, castle etc. Prices are typical for most cities with beer at €5-€5.5/pint. Food similar. Ladies are very pretty...

Beautiful place. Been there on holiday, agree with the previous post. It’s also the main reason why all the Baltic cruise ships call there. Very clean place, very friendly people.

So it’s not actually that cheap then

It's also possible to take a ferry to Helsinki from Tallinn. At 120/150 minutes each way you could even do it on a day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Really nice old part of the city, dating from 1300's with lots of quaint buildings, castle etc. Prices are typical for most cities with beer at €5-€5.5/pint. Food similar. Ladies are very pretty...
    Why are the ladies so much prettier on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    So it’s not actually that cheap then
    This is a generalisation, but it's sad, and quite a big issue locally across Europe (and beyond) that many city centres have almost become preserves for tourists or the wealthy. We are lucky here in Cardiff really. Great swathes of any population cannot afford to eat or drink in many of their city centre bars, whereas that generally speaking isn't the case here.

I remember thinking this about Prague a few years back when you could get a beer outside the city centre for say 50p and inside for £4. The difference here is nothing like as stark.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Why are the ladies so much prettier on the mainland
    because they don't gorge on mcdonalds and live pretty healthy lfiestyles.

Estonia has some seriously top end scrunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's also possible to take a ferry to Helsinki from Tallinn. At 120/150 minutes each way you could even do it on a day trip.
    We did it the other way around about 20 years ago. Were in Helsinki for 5 days and did the ferry day trip to Tallinn. Loved the place once you get clear of the port - red caviar and local Champaign in the main medieval square for the price of fish and chips with a pint in the UK.

My main memory is the hundreds of Finns who got on the ferry at 7 am with empty wheely suitcases, headed straight to the Carrefour supermarket above the port when we arrived, and then got the first ferry back to Helsinki with cases rattling with cheap bottles of spirits. The ultimate booze cruise.

I doubt any of them made it into the town!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We did it the other way around about 20 years ago. Were in Helsinki for 5 days and did the ferry day trip to Tallinn. Loved the place once you get clear of the port - red caviar and local Champaign in the main medieval square for the price of fish and chips with a pint in the UK.

My main memory is the hundreds of Finns who got on the ferry at 7 am with empty wheely suitcases, headed straight to the Carrefour supermarket above the port when we arrived, and then got the first ferry back to Helsinki with cases rattling with cheap bottles of spirits. The ultimate booze cruise.

I doubt any of them made it into the town!
    Boats departing Helsinki/Tallinn also offer a workaround if you want to see St Petersburg without a conventional visa, I understand. A conventional visa* is a pain in the rear end to obtain (or was when I did it) as you had to be in London for the morning (which meant staying overnight), having completed an application form that is almost a carbon copy of that required for the US and being processed by surly staff who take your electronic fingerprints and leave you at least £100 poorer.

*A cheaper version is available for this route and for a short stay.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Boats departing Helsinki/Tallinn also offer a workaround if you want to see St Petersburg without a conventional visa, I understand. A conventional visa* is a pain in the rear end to obtain (or was when I did it) as you had to be in London for the morning (which meant staying overnight), having completed an application form that is almost a carbon copy of that required for the US and being processed by surly staff who take your electronic fingerprints and leave you at least £100 poorer.

*A cheaper version is available for this route and for a short stay.

If you want a visa for Russia it’s quicker , a lot cheaper and more fun to catch the Eurotrain to Brussels. Well actually in the end the cost is the same but you’ve had a nice couple of days away

Planning to drive it next year (from Poland) Kaliningrad (if we can get visa) Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki (& back) something different!

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    If you want a visa for Russia it’s quicker , a lot cheaper and more fun to catch the Eurotrain to Brussels. Well actually in the end the cost is the same but you’ve had a nice couple of days away
    How does catching the train to Brussels provide a Russian visa?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This is a generalisation, but it's sad, and quite a big issue locally across Europe (and beyond) that many city centres have almost become preserves for tourists or the wealthy. We are lucky here in Cardiff really. Great swathes of any population cannot afford to eat or drink in many of their city centre bars, whereas that generally speaking isn't the case here.

I remember thinking this about Prague a few years back when you could get a beer outside the city centre for say 50p and inside for £4. The difference here is nothing like as stark.
    Anyone recommend a cheaper place to head out to that's actually alright?

Kiev. Fantastic place, beautiful, and also very cheap. I was there in the summer in 2019 and the river also has loads of beach bars which was an unexpected bonus. Can't wait to go back.

Secondary cities would be more so, or perhaps places like Bucharest, Belgrade, Kiev?

Brussels is surprisingly affordable and attractive. I love German cities too.

I think it's just a tourist trap thing, but whereas for us it may put 10-50% on a pint for the city centre, in some cities in Europe it adds 200-300%. I would hate that, for your own city centre to be off limits

My last Eastern European trip took in Moldova, Transnistria, Odessa and Kiev (both The Ukraine), Belarus and Lithuania. Odessa had a Parisian feel about it and Minsk was surprisingly very sophisticated. The prize goes to Transnistria (aka Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic) though. It's a rogue beakaway state state(from Moldova) run by the Russians and gangs and which doesn't cuturally dovetail into countries to the west. Cards don't work in their ATM systems, using foreign currency in shops wasn't allowed and currency could only be exchanged officially in banks that open during office hours. Oh, and I believe that the flag is the only one still around that includes a hammer and sickle. It's not an attractive place for tourists (and you can't fly in there direct) but it's wonderfully spooky and off the beaten track.

My last Eastern European trip took in Moldova, Transnistria, Odessa and Kiev (both The Ukraine), Belarus and Lithuania. Odessa had a Parisian feel about it and Minsk was surprisingly very sophisticated. The prize goes to Transnistria (aka Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic) though. It's a rogue beakaway state state(from Moldova) run by the Russians and gangs and which doesn't cuturally dovetail into countries to the west. Cards don't work in their ATM systems, using foreign currency in shops wasn't allowed and currency could only be exchanged officially in banks that open during office hours. Oh, and I believe that the flag is the only one still around that includes a hammer and sickle. It's not an attractive place for tourists (and you can't fly in there direct) but it's wonderfully spooky and off the beaten track.
    & no phone connections

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Kiev. Fantastic place, beautiful, and also very cheap. I was there in the summer in 2019 and the river also has loads of beach bars which was an unexpected bonus. Can't wait to go back.
    My Polish friends strongly recommend Lviv as the pick of Ukrainian cities.