+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Five good reasons why Big Mick will be sacked

Five good reasons why Big Mick will be sacked

Few would disagree that the recent turmoil of Cardiff City’s results have certainly put Mick McCarthy in the spotlight. Reams and reams of press headlines have been generated as to what the problems are. Some point to player selection as the issue. Some point to formations as being too defensive. Others point to the negative football style. In truth, it is probably a combination of all three.

Key journalists are highlighting what is required and how they believe McCarthy can save his bacon. It seems a return to a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 are in demand, younger players to play in it, and a more attacking game. There we have it. All our answers on a sixpence. Theoretically it would be hard to disagree. Unfortunately, theory isn’t likely to play out on the pitch. There are five good reasons why McCarthy will fail and be sacked.

Changes – Will they really the silver bullet?
    The first reason is philosophy and history. He has been a “direct play” coach here, APOEL Nicosia, Ireland, Ipswich and Wolves. That goes all the way back to 2006. That is 15 years of applied football philosophy. That is 15 years of consistency. There isn’t a cat’s chance in hell he will suddenly deviate in the last two games.

Reason two is lack of time to adapt. To change a style wholesale requires a complete override of everything done in pre-season. Players need to evolve the new system. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to see real changes. Two games simply isn’t enough. He holds a UEFA Professional licence. He will know that.

Reason three is the opposition. Fulham are brilliant. It could be a dark day. Then Middlesborough. We know how the spurned return to burn. We know how the script goes. The ghosts of Bamba and Warnock will deliver the knock out punch.

The fourth reason is once poor morale is set in, you “lose the room” and go on the worst run in decades, you don’t suddenly get the room back by doing more of the same. From 35 years of watching football I cannot recall a team that went on such a shocking run in this position, and then recovering with the same manager and style. The probability suggests failure.

The Banker’s Call – the main reason
    The fifth reason is character. Even if he could change, he wouldn’t. Nowadays money lending by banks is done purely on numbers, usually via an application form. This is which is why so much money gets lent to idiots who will never pay it back. In the old fashioned world of banking, when bankers were cautious about to whom they lent money, your local branch manager would judge the would-be borrower on Collateral, Conditions, Capacity, Capital and Character. It was called “The 5 C’s”. If a modern banker is shrewd, he would still do so. He judges the character, not just the numbers. It isn’t so much about how much you have, or what you earn, but what is your reputation in terms of stability and paying your dues.

The same can be applied here. Character often trumps a lot of things, and allows you to judge people better. Psychology also tells us that when under stress, the deep natural character will always bubble to the surface. Or as the old saying goes, “No matter what his new face, when an animal is cornered he reverts to type.” Mick's character is a combination of a Yorkshire and Irish. It doesn't always pay to stereotype and generalise, but in this case it does. He epitomises those stereotypes. That is his upbringing. That is his nature- stubborn and direct. He always digs in and never changes his ways.

So other than the reasons above, it is his character that will ultimately seem him fail to see his errors and so will fail to adapt. Because even though we know what changes are required, and even if those changes had a 1% chance of working, it there is a zero chance that he will gamble or change his philosophy and style in the next two games. He will rather go down fighting. That is his character. It’s a fight he can only lose. Time is up. Mick will be sacked. You can put your money on it.

It is the banker's call.

Re: Five good reasons why Big Mick will be sacked

You’ve significantly overthought this, although there are indeed 5 reasons why he’ll get fired and they’re all of his own making

Their names are Flint, Nelson, Brown, McGuinness and Morrison

Dembe likes this post.

Good effort.

A well written, thought out, articulate post, I especially agree with the fact that it is Mick's stubborn character that will see the end of him as our manager. When though?

1-He was the wrong appointment in the first place.
    2- He has no discernable tactics that I can see.
    3- His substitutions are all wrong and at the wrong time.
    4- He's dour and doesn't communicate with the support.
    5- He just doesn't care is what I get from him because it doesn't mean anything to him.
    I've never been so facked off with the club and its manager. At least when we were really shit crap local players had a go.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    1-He was the wrong appointment in the first place.
    2- He has no discernable tactics that I can see.
    3- His substitutions are all wrong and at the wrong time.
    4- He's dour and doesn't communicate with the support.
    5- He just doesn't care is what I get from him because it doesn't mean anything to him.
    I've never been so facked off with the club and its manager. At least when we were really shit crap local players had a go.
    Well it is very difficult to disagree with any of that. He is waiting for his pensionable pay day I think. I wonder what motivates him at his age. He may well be motivated, but I struggle why when he has his money - what motivates him?