+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City’s Under 23’s, everything that their first team isn’t.

Cardiff City’s Under 23’s, everything that their first team isn’t.

Wales Under 16s, with seven City youngster in the squad, going well in the Victory Shield.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Cardiff City’s Under 23’s, everything that their first team isn’t.

Hope for the future but knowing city we will lose them all.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wales Under 16s, with seven City youngster in the squad, going well in the Victory Shield.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Great write up Paul.

On Cardiff City TV they did, probably accidentally, put the name of the trialist on the teamsheet, so I did note it but it isn't a name I was familiar with. I thought he did very well. Pace, skill and very strong - scored one and a pre assist for the second.

Overall its a delight watching the U23s - they play the same system as the first team but with pace, passing, tenacity and organisation that is missing from the first team. While players positions are a little more fluid at U23 level at least they play to the players strengths. not weaknesses... the wing backs develop into wingers or wing backs... rather than centre backs!

Interestingly, everyone seems to know their role and take responsibility for it. I was struck by the closing down by the midfield players which restricted Charlton from shooting too often from outside the box... quite a contrast to the first team. The wingbacks also know exactly how to stretch the game, cross and pick out a pass.... again the contrast.. I can't think of may long balls which we made on purpose... most long balls the U23 team plays are clearances when under pressure or when spotting runners going in behind defences. That is credit to the midfield players who come and look for the ball, use it well, the movement in front and to the side of them and also the defenders who are quite comfortable on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Great write up Paul.

On Cardiff City TV they did, probably accidentally, put the name of the trialist on the teamsheet, so I did note it but it isn't a name I was familiar with. I thought he did very well. Pace, skill and very strong - scored one and a pre assist for the second.

Overall its a delight watching the U23s - they play the same system as the first team but with pace, passing, tenacity and organisation that is missing from the first team. While players positions are a little more fluid at U23 level at least they play to the players strengths. not weaknesses... the wing backs develop into wingers or wing backs... rather than centre backs!

Interestingly, everyone seems to know their role and take responsibility for it. I was struck by the closing down by the midfield players which restricted Charlton from shooting too often from outside the box... quite a contrast to the first team. The wingbacks also know exactly how to stretch the game, cross and pick out a pass.... again the contrast.. I can't think of may long balls which we made on purpose... most long balls the U23 team plays are clearances when under pressure or when spotting runners going in behind defences. That is credit to the midfield players who come and look for the ball, use it well, the movement in front and to the side of them and also the defenders who are quite comfortable on the ball.
    I think it’s always hard for a trialist, especially when, as is the case quite often with us recently, they only get forty five minutes to prove themselves. For me, the trialist got a bit self indulgent after his very impressive first few minutes for reasons I can understand given what I said above, but I’d say he did enough to earn an extension to his trial.

I agree with you about the midfielders. Of course, everything we say about the Under 23s has to include an admission that the standard they play at is a lot lower than what their seniors face, but I would have thought that closing down by midfielders is much the same no matter who the opposition are, it’s something that owes much to a combination of physical fitness and attitude of mind, so there’s no real reason why first teamers should be a lot better at it than the youngsters - certainly, it was hard not to contrast Bacuna’s attitude with the first goal on Sunday with what we saw from King and Pritchard yesterday.

What was the trailists name then?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What was the trailists name then?
    Victor

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think it’s always hard for a trialist, especially when, as is the case quite often with us recently, they only get forty five minutes to prove themselves. For me, the trialist got a bit self indulgent after his very impressive first few minutes for reasons I can understand given what I said above, but I’d say he did enough to earn an extension to his trial.

I agree with you about the midfielders. Of course, everything we say about the Under 23s has to include an admission that the standard they play at is a lot lower than what their seniors face, but I would have thought that closing down by midfielders is much the same no matter who the opposition are, it’s something that owes much to a combination of physical fitness and attitude of mind, so there’s no real reason why first teamers should be a lot better at it than the youngsters - certainly, it was hard not to contrast Bacuna’s attitude with the first goal on Sunday with what we saw from King and Pritchard yesterday.
    Yeah he did keep the ball a bit too long at times, but I understand why.

Eli and Owen are a great partnership.. having been together since under 8 level.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Victor
    according to transfermarkt, there are only 3 victors who play in this country as a forward under the age of 23

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    So not a Victor just a Viv