+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff contact police over derby day 'issues of concern'

Cardiff contact police over derby day 'issues of concern'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58986108

Cardiff City have contacted South Wales Police over "issues of concern" following the derby with Swansea City.

Cardiff have also been in touch with Swansea and the EFL over incidents which occurred at last Sunday's game.

The Bluebirds are unhappy with Swansea's celebrations, and say their directors were abused.

"We can confirm that we are in dialogue with Swansea City, South Wales Police and the EFL over a number of issues of concern," a Cardiff spokesperson said.

BBC Wales understands Cardiff's chief complaint is over the 'swim away' celebrations performed by a number of Swansea players - including man-of-the-match Jamie Paterson - and head coach Russell Martin.

The swimming gesture is a reference to a clash between rival supporters following a derby encounter at the Swans' former Vetch Field home in the late 1980s.

Cardiff, who were beaten 3-0, feel the gesture is highly provocative and threatens to escalate tensions between the two sets of fans.

Cardiff are also unhappy that shots of manager Mick McCarthy followed immediately by chief executive Ken Choo and director Steve Borley were shown on the big screen at the Swansea.com Stadium.

They say that led to Choo and Borley being verbally abused by home fans and feel Swansea should not have allowed the images to be shown.

EFL rules say shots of "the area of the trainers' bench" should not be shown on big screens but there are no regulations regarding directors' boxes.

"Swansea City can confirm that the club is in dialogue with Cardiff City, South Wales Police and the EFL over events that took place during and after Sunday's game at the Swansea.com Stadium," a Swans spokesperson said.

"Discussions will also take place within the club across all departments as a matter of process, as they do after every event that we host."

South Wales Police have been asked to comment.

The EFL has not commented, while it is understood the Football Association (FA) is looking into the 'swim away' gestures.

In 2013, then Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was reminded of his responsibilities by the FA after making the gesture during a Premier League game at Cardiff.

Re: Cardiff contact police over derby day 'issues of concern'

The only answer to this small minded nonsense is to stuff them off the park. If only…..

What a load of ………………..cks.
    They ought to sort the Club out first before crying to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

It's a derby, stop being so precious

Banned

So our club have turned into snowflakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Totally agree!

Not content to embarrass us on the field they're embarrassing us with non issues now. The sooner they pack their bags, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Totally agree!

Not content to embarrass us on the field they're embarrassing us with non issues now. The sooner they pack their bags, the better.
    It’s like there is no connection at all between the football club and it’s fans

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Totally agree!

The only thing that is embarrassing ‘us’ is people like you with comments like that. You are obviously condoning provocative gestures by players and abuse of directors. No doubt you thought Alan Tate and Lee Trundles actions with the flag some years ago was also fine and that the fans who make the aeroplane gestures about Sala’s death are just having ‘a bit of banter’.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The only thing that is embarrassing ‘us’ is people like you with comments like that. You are obviously condoning provocative gestures by players and abuse of directors. No doubt you thought Alan Tate and Lee Trundles actions with the flag some years ago was also fine and that the fans who make the aeroplane gestures about Sala’s death are just having ‘a bit of banter’.
    Grow up you pompous prick. You're the biggest clown and thicko on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The flag thing was fine, a dick move but ultimately harmless. I draw the line at the aeroplane gestures though, same as the gas noises some of our idiots make

as for the 'swim away' let them have their fun, without these little gestures from a long gone era where is the impetus for any kind of atmosphere or rivalry, let's not become a club of easily offended whiners, please..

Bit rich isn’t it, our lot offended by a bit of name calling and a daft front crawl while some of our idiots are singing a song stating that Swansea fans were buggered by their dads when they were kids. Pot, kettle, black eh! Put our house in order before holding your hands up in horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58986108

Cardiff City have contacted South Wales Police over "issues of concern" following the derby with Swansea City.

Cardiff have also been in touch with Swansea and the EFL over incidents which occurred at last Sunday's game.

The Bluebirds are unhappy with Swansea's celebrations, and say their directors were abused.

"We can confirm that we are in dialogue with Swansea City, South Wales Police and the EFL over a number of issues of concern," a Cardiff spokesperson said.

BBC Wales understands Cardiff's chief complaint is over the 'swim away' celebrations performed by a number of Swansea players - including man-of-the-match Jamie Paterson - and head coach Russell Martin.

The swimming gesture is a reference to a clash between rival supporters following a derby encounter at the Swans' former Vetch Field home in the late 1980s.

Cardiff, who were beaten 3-0, feel the gesture is highly provocative and threatens to escalate tensions between the two sets of fans.

Cardiff are also unhappy that shots of manager Mick McCarthy followed immediately by chief executive Ken Choo and director Steve Borley were shown on the big screen at the Swansea.com Stadium.

They say that led to Choo and Borley being verbally abused by home fans and feel Swansea should not have allowed the images to be shown.

EFL rules say shots of "the area of the trainers' bench" should not be shown on big screens but there are no regulations regarding directors' boxes.

"Swansea City can confirm that the club is in dialogue with Cardiff City, South Wales Police and the EFL over events that took place during and after Sunday's game at the Swansea.com Stadium," a Swans spokesperson said.

"Discussions will also take place within the club across all departments as a matter of process, as they do after every event that we host."

South Wales Police have been asked to comment.

The EFL has not commented, while it is understood the Football Association (FA) is looking into the 'swim away' gestures.

In 2013, then Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was reminded of his responsibilities by the FA after making the gesture during a Premier League game at Cardiff.
    As if the players didn't embarress us enough on Sunday, we then go and do this! When Mitrovic did the ayatollah when Fulham beat them he was a hero. If you can't take it don't give it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The flag thing was fine, a dick move but ultimately harmless. I draw the line at the aeroplane gestures though, same as the gas noises some of our idiots make
    Quite rightly you will get arrested for making aeroplane gestures.
    The rest ... FFS ...leave it out

Just the board complaining isn't it? Or was it the fans groups? Besides, football folk (including fans) have long taken on the demeanour of a wounded Victorian matriarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Just the board complaining isn't it? .
    Its just the Club, which is not outrageous in itself, I am sure if we ( naughty Cardiff fans ) started to chant " gas a Jack " or made horse noises again, the Jacks would issue a complaint

I would genuinely be embarrassed to have some of the fans they have. White supremacists and UJ wavers, nazi salutes , bnp bollocks.

Funny how they aspire to a dignified football philosophy on the pitch yet have some of the most backward thinking fans going.

I might sound bitter but that stuff would really get to me if it were as prevalent among our fanbase as it is amongst theirs. It’s not a good look.

…swim away is infantile. The ayatollah is much more positive and looks better on the tv despite the fact it means nothing.

I can understand this sort of thing between fans, but I don't understand the players doing it.

Doesn't the whole incident come from football violence years ago? Fan banter it will always be, if it was the other way round we'd do the same etc, but why is it such a big thing at the club that even the players are in on it?

I never get worked up over this sort of thing, it's the usual banter etc but find it strange that their players celebrate like this, ain't the first time is it?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Its just the Club, which is not outrageous in itself, I am sure if we ( naughty Cardiff fans ) started to chant " gas a Jack " or made horse noises again, the Jacks would issue a complaint
    How are they at all comparable with the swim away?

This his harmless bollocks while those are about people dying.

Weak as ****.

Complete joke of a club

Meanwhile action promised over the abusive child abuse song aimed at Swansea?

Nothing

Jokers

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

The point is, its easy for clubs to find reasons to issue complaints about other teams

the swim away thing could well be harmless to most of us ( It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I see it as Football banter ) but we know it is done to wind up / be provocative / incite our fans, thats the whole purpose of it, we know that ( and I am sure you do ), so when the club complain about " feel the gesture is highly provocative and threatens to escalate tensions between the two sets of fans. " they are right, thats the purpose of it, just as the examples I have given were to wind up / provocative / incite the Jacks, just as Southampton fans did the aeroplane, the list goes on, they are all done for the same purpose and chosen to have maximum effect

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The point is, its easy for clubs to find reasons to issue complaints about other teams

the swim away thing could well be harmless to most of us ( It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I see it as Football banter ) but we know it is done to wind up / be provocative / incite our fans, thats the whole purpose of it, we know that ( and I am sure you do ), so when the club complain about " feel the gesture is highly provocative and threatens to escalate tensions between the two sets of fans. " they are right, thats the purpose of it, just as the examples I have given were to wind up / provocative / incite the Jacks, just as Southampton fans did the aeroplane, the list goes on, they are all done for the same purpose and chosen to have maximum effect
    I’m sure those 20 or so youngsters from port Talbot who are about 50 now, who got chased into the sea that night and pelted with pebbles by about 80 jacks are deeply disturbed by it still I find it funny as I was at that game and as about 500 of us walked back to the station those jacks wouldn’t come anywhere near us (even the swansea police were laughing at them) just went off looking for stragglers which they found in due course. Let them celebrate it