+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1933

I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying the only time in Cardiff City's history that the club has previously lost seven league games on the trot came way back in November and December 1933.

The results then were:

0-2 v Norwich (A)
    1-5 v Bristol City (H)
    2-4 v Clapton Orient (A)
    0-4 v Brighton (A)
    1-3 v Luton Town (A)
    1-3 v Northampton Town (H)
    1-4 v Coventry City (A)

The run was ended with a 3-3 draw against Coventry at Ninian Park on Boxing Day, 1933.

To put things into some sort of perspective, City finished rock bottom of the Third Division (South) in 1933/34 and had to apply for re-election to the Football League. It was the worst season in the club's entire history.

Should the unthinkable happen and City lose once more at home to Neil Warnock's Middlesbrough on Saturday, it will be the only time the club has ever lost eight league games on the trot.

Re: 1933

Took over a decade to recover from that (small matter of WW2 in the middle), can we look forward to promotion in 2034?

6 goals scored too, a luxury

The worst run of league form for 88 years. Let’s be honest, regardless of what any of us think of Mick McCarthy and his prehistoric football, nobody saw this coming.

So what does the manager do next? Having fielded two wildly differing line-ups in the last two matches, what’s he going to try on Saturday?

McCarthy looks all out of ideas and a Middlesbrough side managed by Neil Warnock were always likely to be difficult opponents regardless of City’s form. A new, horrendous club record isn’t a long shot by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The worst run of league form for 88 years. Let’s be honest, regardless of what any of us think of Mick McCarthy and his prehistoric football, nobody saw this coming.

So what does the manager do next? Having fielded two wildly differing line-ups in the last two matches, what’s he going to try on Saturday?

McCarthy looks all out of ideas and a Middlesbrough side managed by Neil Warnock were always likely to be difficult opponents regardless of City’s form. A new, horrendous club record isn’t a long shot by any means.
    Same formation but Morrison for Flint and Ralls for Vaulks and Giles on left.

I've a feeling he reverts to the 5 back, maybe with NG but possibly cbs. One last hurrah.

I think the return of Morrison is guaranteed, but I can't see McCarthy dropping Flint or McGuinness, so it'll be five at the back I reckon, but without Nelson and Brown.

As for Ralls, I'd be surprised if he was involved given that he wasn't in the squad last night.