+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindisfarne- Porthcawl, last Saturday night

Lindisfarne- Porthcawl, last Saturday night

Porthcawl, more renowned for Trecco Bay, a funfair at one end and Rest Bay at the other end, played host to Geordie folk-rockers Lindisfarne at the Grand Pavilion, with its big dome on the top of the building. Not the first time this band have played there, probably not the last either. Of course is not the same as it was, only Rod Clements survives in this band’s line up. However, the very mature audience were treated to an evening of all the favourites the band were renowned for in their heyday. If you wanted to forget about your troubles on the football field, and think about something else, then this was the answer.Two hours of honest musicians ploughing through songs such as “ Meet Me On The Corner”, Fog On The Tyne, Run For Home, and my own favourite, Lady Eleanor. Throw in a sprinkling of tracks from over the years, a lot which were written by the brilliant late Alan Hull, a good sing song in between, and there you have it.A really good feel good factor to end your Saturday evening. I just hope they come back this way, at some future date. I’ll be only too happy to go along.

Re: Lindisfarne- Porthcawl, last Saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Porthcawl, more renowned for Trecco Bay, a funfair at one end and Rest Bay at the other end, played host to Geordie folk-rockers Lindisfarne at the Grand Pavilion, with its big dome on the top of the building. Not the first time this band have played there, probably not the last either. Of course is not the same as it was, only Rod Clements survives in this band’s line up. However, the very mature audience were treated to an evening of all the favourites the band were renowned for in their heyday. If you wanted to forget about your troubles on the football field, and think about something else, then this was the answer.Two hours of honest musicians ploughing through songs such as “ Meet Me On The Corner”, Fog On The Tyne, Run For Home, and my own favourite, Lady Eleanor. Throw in a sprinkling of tracks from over the years, a lot which were written by the brilliant late Alan Hull, a good sing song in between, and there you have it.A really good feel good factor to end your Saturday evening. I just hope they come back this way, at some future date. I’ll be only too happy to go along.
    When is a band still the same band that they were in their heyday (for those who may be drawn to gigs for that particular material)?

What about bands that split into two like Yes and UB40 with both entities touring under the band's name?

What about bands like Man and Dr Feelgood who tour with no original members?

Does it matter?

Is a darned sock still the same sock?

Why are we here?

Is it really only Thursday?

Trigger's broom springs to mind.

Saw them at the Shrewsbury folk festival a few weeks ago they were very good. Played all their old hits rather than the dreaded here's a track from our new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Saw them at the Shrewsbury folk festival a few weeks ago they were very good. Played all their old hits rather than the dreaded here's a track from our new album.
    But as only one member was from the original band doesn't that make them close to a tribute band?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But as only one member was from the original band doesn't that make them close to a tribute band?
    Football clubs change there players, management and owners on a frequent basis. Are CCFC a tribute club? You've got me thinking now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Football clubs change there players, management and owners on a frequent basis. Are CCFC a tribute club? You've got me thinking now!
    I once attended a cider festival at Bristol Temple Meads and a Wurzels tribute band were playing onstage!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Trigger's broom springs to mind.
    I was going to post that, ah well.

Sounds a good night to disappear form the crap of todays life into ones care free past .

Not the best of analogies, in all honesty.

I once made love while listening to Lindesfarne's Back and Fourth album

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Not the best of analogies, in all honesty.
    Yeah, it was a bit of a joke in all honesty!

In these difficult times, seeing a live band that you like, albeit a much changed one like Lindisfarne still lift the spirits.

I was lucky enough to see Graham Gouldman of 10cc a few weeks ago in the Gate Arts Centre, Roath and found it massively uplifting and quite emotional. Other people I spoke to afterwards felt the exactly the same.

First Team

With only one original member left, this reminds me about the axe joke ... "this is your great grandad's axe; it's only had three new heads and two new handles in its lifetime".

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    With only one original member left, this reminds me about the axe joke ... "this is your great grandad's axe; it's only had three new heads and two new handles in its lifetime".
    See Trigger analogy previously mentioned.

Thunder are doing a spoken word and acoustic gig there soon celebrating 50 years eeek

there are 11 players playing under the name ccfc but they bear no resemblance to the team and club from my youth!

Inspired by a visit to Northumberland a few weeks back, and to the Holy Island itself (which is beautiful, btw) I listened to a few of their songs for the first time in ages. I had 'Fog on the Tyne' on vinyl from the 70s. Be careful with Lady Eleanor - the chorus was an earworm for a few days and driving me mad. "Meet me on the corner" still sounds good, some of the others less so. I've read they are good live though, whatever the line up compared to the original one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    In these difficult times, seeing a live band that you like, albeit a much changed one like Lindisfarne still lift the spirits.

I was lucky enough to see Graham Gouldman of 10cc a few weeks ago in the Gate Arts Centre, Roath and found it massively uplifting and quite emotional. Other people I spoke to afterwards felt the exactly the same.
    I was also there. I had been looking forward to this show for quite some time. Great to hear the stories behind all the songs. People don’t realise how many hit songs he’s written for other artists aswell as 10cc. My own favourite being Bus Stop by the Hollies. Anyone who’s been inducted into the Hall Of Fame got to be worth listening to. It was my first visit to the Gate, and they even let me have a poster on the wall by the entrance. Hopefully he will come back, as it was a great evenings entertainment.

I was also there. I had been looking forward to this show for quite some time. Great to hear the stories behind all the songs. People don’t realise how many hit songs he’s written for other artists aswell as 10cc. My own favourite being Bus Stop by the Hollies. Anyone who’s been inducted into the Hall Of Fame got to be worth listening to. It was my first visit to the Gate, and they even let me have a poster on the wall by the entrance. Hopefully he will come back, as it was a great evenings entertainment.
    I hope so too because he was great. I'd never been to the venue before but it was so intimate, I look forward to my next visit there.

I was sat in the second row on my tod because my missus didn't want to go and my sister and brother-in-law got refused entry because they couldn't prove they'd been double jabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    I was there this year, but didn't bother with Lindisfarne, although I saw lots of great bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I hope so too because he was great. I'd never been to the venue before but it was so intimate, I look forward to my next visit there.

I was sat in the second row on my tod because my missus didn't want to go and my sister and brother-in-law got refused entry because they couldn't prove they'd been double jabbed.
    I was up Acapela, Pentyrch last night watching Go Now - Moody Blues tribute band. Along with Genesis my all time favourite band. Ex Moodies drummer Gordy Marshall and ex 10 cc lead guitarist/ singer Mick Wilson fronting the band. An excellent night out in a cosy little venue.Lots of Moodies songs that we all wanted to hear. Another feel good factor.

I was up Acapela, Pentyrch last night watching Go Now - Moody Blues tribute band. Along with Genesis my all time favourite band. Ex Moodies drummer Gordy Marshall and ex 10 cc lead guitarist/ singer Mick Wilson fronting the band. An excellent night out in a cosy little venue.Lots of Moodies songs that we all wanted to hear. Another feel good factor.
    Acapela is a great venue. I must go there about once a month, great pizzas as well as good bands.

Yeah, it was a bit of a joke in all honesty!
    I thought it was a good analogy. I remember my parents telling me the broom joke at least 50 years ago. Trigger's in a tribute band.