+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slimming World

Slimming World

Does it work?

Almost every person I know that has lost the weight has put it back on.

Re: Slimming World

Most diets work because you're consciously eating and drinking when you come off if you go back to old habits you'll go back to where you were

My ex used to do slimming world, biggest load of shite going. "today is a green day so I can eat this mountain of pasta". The best version for me is to eat a bit less, be a bit more active and avoid sweet things sugar OR artificial sweetners

Exante and the right mindset/willpower would be your boy should you be after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    My ex used to do slimming world, biggest load of shite going. "today is a green day so I can eat this mountain of pasta". The best version for me is to eat a bit less, be a bit more active and avoid sweet things sugar OR artificial sweetners
    revolutionary stuff, isn't it? Some people have a tendency to put weight on Easier than others, but the large majority of us are just eating and drinking too much ( myself included) for whatever reason, and as a society we aren't as physically active as we once we're, especially in terms of occupation.

Booze is a bastard, I think that there's roughly 250 Calories in a pint of lager.

In my opinion, many people have massive portions, drink too much and think that walking to the corner shop and back is exercise. It's not, it's a requirement.

Those of us who are overweight need to develop healthier fitness and eating options in the long term. Quick fixes may have dramatic effects but they aren't the answer if we go back to old habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's not how Slimming World works. It is all about getting you used to eating smaller portions of healthy foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    revolutionary stuff, isn't it? Some people have a tendency to put weight on Easier than others, but the large majority of us are just eating and drinking too much ( myself included) for whatever reason, and as a society we aren't as physically active as we once we're, especially in terms of occupation.

Booze is a bastard, I think that there's roughly 250 Calories in a pint of lager.

In my opinion, many people have massive portions, drink too much and think that walking to the corner shop and back is exercise. It's not, it's a requirement.
    Yeah when I think back to some of the portion sizes I used to eat it was remarkable I wasn't a big ol fattie. You don't need a dessert after every meal if you aren't a child either. If you're enjoying a meal with friends at a restaurant then maybe. The current mrs rjk is from Hong Kong and just doesn't put weight on, despite eating about 4 or 5 meals a day. She uses a small bowl to eat instead of a big plate, even if you fill it up 2 or 3 times you'll still have less than a huge plateful piled high, and we aren't programmed to stop until the plate is cleared so you're more likely to just eat what you need. She doesn't really eat or drink anything sweet / sugary. She also doesn't drink any cold drinks, mostly tea, as she thinks it makes it more difficult for the body to remove the fat around the cold stomach. Very simple changes anyone can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Those of us who are overweight need to develop healthier fitness and eating options in the long term. Quick fixes may have dramatic effects but they aren't the answer if we go back to old habits.
    Quick fixes don't exist, if you have stones to shift - that is going to take you months of discipline which is not quick in anyones book.

However VLCDs (800 cals) - can and have been known to reverse chronic diabetes some have suffered from for decades, and if properly executed and followed can be the catalyst for someone achieving truly lasting change.

I may wish to give up a cigarette smoking habit but never bother trying because when I go back to old habits it's proven not to be the answer. I'd be wrong to never bother trying though.

It goes without saying those overweight need to develop healthier fitness and eating options. You are far more likely to arrive at those through undertaking a diet than not doing so and instead having your 3 bag of crisps of the day! 'Diets' are far too easily written off by people who end up in inaction anyway!

As a single, overweight, childless and ageing person I am an expert on diet, human relationships, childcare and youth culture.
    Just give me a shout if you need any advice

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Quick fixes don't exist, if you have stones to shift - that is going to take you months of discipline which is not quick in anyones book.

However VLCDs (800 cals) - can and have been known to reverse chronic diabetes some have suffered from for decades, and if properly executed and followed can be the catalyst for someone achieving truly lasting change.

I may wish to give up a cigarette smoking habit but never bother trying because when I go back to old habits it's proven not to be the answer. I'd be wrong to never bother trying though.

It goes without saying those overweight need to develop healthier fitness and eating options. You are far more likely to arrive at those through undertaking a diet than not doing so and instead having your 3 bag of crisps of the day! 'Diets' are far too easily written off by people who end up in inaction anyway!
    Are you suggesting that 1 large bag would be better?

No , fat clubs generally help people lose weight fairly quickly but people soon put it back on

Weighing yourself every week is fecking daft

Group support can help but you would be better using the 5 quid it costs to join the ramblers or a gym

Out with the chips , fries , McDonald's, Chinese, Indian, booze , cakes , crisps etc

In with healthier food

In with walking , cycling , swimming or whatever floats your boat

The most important part is diet

They say exercise is not needed for weight loss

I lost 3 stone by cutting out ex large doner kebabs , among other things , and walking

My arse is very pert

People say oh I lost 3 stone in a year

That sounds way too fast to me

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I lost over 6 stone in 9 months

Fair play.

I lost 20kg (over 3 stone) in 10 weeks on keto. And I wasn't massive to begin with - 93kg/205lb.

That was over a ago. I've been between 73kg and 75kg since- I've no intention to lose more weight.

Never sure why the focus is on weight tho. Seems a very crude measure
    The trick is to lose fat and maintain metabolism. Nail that with a diet you enjoy and you are sorted.

Doing what ?

That sounds very extreme

I lost about 12lb in 45mins when I had my right leg amputated just over a month ago-haven't put it back on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I lost 20kg (over 3 stone) in 10 weeks on keto. And I wasn't massive to begin with - 93kg/205lb.

That was over a ago. I've been between 73kg and 75kg since- I've no intention to lose more weight.

Never sure why the focus is on weight tho. Seems a very crude measure
    The trick is to lose fat and maintain metabolism. Nail that with a diet you enjoy and you are sorted.
    4 pound a week ?

That's not healthy

Got divorced from Lena Zavaroni, did you?

fat clubs work, they just make you think of what you are eating, as soon as you stop, you stop thinking " Oh if I eat this box of KK's I'll look a right bloater on weight day " , so you put weight back on

no harm in them at all imho, they offer you support, they give you the tools to lose weight, but they mainly just make you think about what you are eating

I installed the Fitbit app again, it had a section to record what you eat and what calories it is, so I now think " do I really need to eat this Danish with my coffee as its 250 Calories "

If you take a overweight dog or cat to a vet, they’ll tell you to cut down the animals food intake and exercise more, why are humans any different?

That’s all we need is a simple calorie calculator for your daily allowance of calories, don’t go too low with it and don’t exclude any food groups and exercise throughout the week whether that’s a little walk or a marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I lost about 12lb in 45mins when I had my right leg amputated just over a month ago-haven't put it back on either.
    Hi, Sneggy. I have thought about you a number of times since you posted about it before a number of weeks ago (and before the op). Sent you a pm that you may not have noticed

Currently on a Keto kick.

I piled on the pounds straight after I was vaccinated, started eating out a lot.

Down 11 lb in 2 weeks.
    Hope to shift another 10 then maintain with calories and exercise.

4 pound a week ?

That's not healthy
    It really isn't (not healthy)..it's quite a common rate to lose at.