Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Who is the qualified doctor?

You or him?

Also what is your BMI Paul?

Re: Slimming World

Quote Originally Posted by David Lemma View Post

You or him?
    He's a crank , trying to make money . Just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's speaking for all of them

If this diet was safe the NHS would be all over it like a rash , just a quick Google will pull up lots of controversy

If you are an athlete or need to lose weight for an operation then this sort of diet may be helpful if it's monitored by a health professional but this sort of diet plan is being thrown around by the likes of you as something the general public can take up . It's clearly a highly restrictive crash diet .

You may have the motivation to put yourself through this sort of thing but its dodgy and most people will fail

You or him?

Also what is your BMI Paul?
    See above , he's selling books

No idea

He's a crank , trying to make money . Just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's speaking for all of them

If this diet was safe the NHS would be all over it like a rash , just a quick Google will pull up lots of controversy

If you are an athlete or need to lose weight for an operation then this sort of diet may be helpful if it's monitored by a health professional but this sort of diet plan is being thrown around by the likes of you as something the general public can take up . It's clearly a highly restrictive crash diet .

You may have the motivation to put yourself through this sort of thing but
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...iquid-17801309

😅

That's a pilot scheme

Bet you it gets people to lose weight quickly but they put it back on

Pm me with the results after 9 months with clinical observations and recommendations from the NHS doctors and dieticians that carried out the research

800 calories a day ff sake , most of them will collapse

That's a pilot scheme

Pm me with the results after 9 months with clinical observations and recommendations from the NHS doctors and dieticians that carried out the research

Shall I PM you right now then? (Everything you mentioned has occurred bar the most of them collapsing or putting it back on). Will try and fit it in between my imminently 10 mile run.

Good day mate xxx

That's a pilot scheme

If it helps abate diabetes, why would you be so against it.
    From what I read its temporary then you change your life style diet .
    Any diet will only work when it becomes your life style .

I did Slimming World back in 2015/16.

Lost 6 stone in 9 months.

Five years later I've put most of it back on. But that's my own fault. Not the plans.

As Jimmy says if your lifestyle changes you will keep the weight off.

Injury stopped me playing football in 2018 and since then I've led a life of gluttony and lack of activity so only have myself to blame.

I'm always starting again on Monday but end up eating crap (which tastes delicious BTW) but fast food and take aways are not the answer. When I was on plan it was fresh food and protein and low amounts of carbs). Smaller amounts of alcohol and lots of calorie free soft drinks.

I'm the total opposite at the moment. But Monday is coming, so maybe this week it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I used to work for a large company and they did health checks on you hearing eyesight general well being but I always thought it was info they kept to disprove a compensation claim.
    I might be wrong.
    I work for a partnership. I'm not a partner, but I believe the partners do need to prove their fitness as part of the way the insurance is set up. Or to put it another way: one or two of the least healthy partners are, I believe, technically employees rather partners because their health meant they were uninsurable. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If it helps abate diabetes, why would you be so against it.
    From what I read its temporary then you change your life style diet .
    Any diet will only work when it becomes your life style .
    This diet is one controlled by doctors where the person is supported by the NHS through balanced shakes and drinks

They reckon it helps one in 6 which is not a high figure and you can understand why , it must be torture

I did it for 9 months it wasn't torture really at all, then again I have been known to run 20 miles everyday for a month and enjoy it, but then again I wasn't doing that prior to having lost the weight.

Shall I PM you right now then? (Everything you mentioned has occurred bar the most of them collapsing or putting it back on). Will try and fit it in between my imminently 10 mile run.

Good day mate xxx
    This scheme was only brought in in 2019 , it's far too early to tell if drinking milk shakes for 12 weeks , losing weight rapidly then eating normally is good for you

Time and time again people who lose weight put it back on again

If you don't eat very much you will lose weight but it's not good for you

Enjoy your run , you have always been very obsessive about diet and exercise and if it works for you that's fine but every few years a diet comes along

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I did Slimming World back in 2015/16.

Lost 6 stone in 9 months.

Five years later I've put most of it back on. But that's my own fault. Not the plans.

As Jimmy says if your lifestyle changes you will keep the weight off.

Injury stopped me playing football in 2018 and since then I've led a life of gluttony and lack of activity so only have myself to blame.

I'm always starting again on Monday but end up eating crap (which tastes delicious BTW) but fast food and take aways are not the answer. When I was on plan it was fresh food and protein and low amounts of carbs). Smaller amounts of alcohol and lots of calorie free soft drinks.

I'm the total opposite at the moment. But Monday is coming, so maybe this week it changes.
    Well done on the initial loss - taht is huge. I'm not a fan of slimming world, I'm not sure how many people do it just once. Any diet that comes with a payment makes me suspicious.

The thing I found that really helped was plenty of good fat, not just protein. good fats keep you satiated and generally taste great, so prevents snacking. Obviously you need to track calories as just a little bit too much olive oil can be a 50-100 calorie mistake, but once you get the feel for it, it's a doddle really and no need to feel you are missing out. Sounds like you removed all of the crappy carbs already which is the main trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Well done on the initial loss - taht is huge. I'm not a fan of slimming world, I'm not sure how many people do it just once. Any diet that comes with a payment makes me suspicious.

The thing I found that really helped was plenty of good fat, not just protein. good fats keep you satiated and generally taste great, so prevents snacking. Obviously you need to track calories as just a little bit too much olive oil can be a 50-100 calorie mistake, but once you get the feel for it, it's a doddle really and no need to feel you are missing out. Sounds like you removed all of the crappy carbs already which is the main trick.
    I think genetics play a huge part here

If you parents or grandparents were a certain size and shape then you are going to be similar

We can tinker around the edges but big lump centre forwards are never going to be nippy wingers

I think genetics play a huge part here

If you parents or grandparents were a certain size and shape then you are going to be similar

We can tinker around the edges but big lump centre forwards are never going to be nippy wingers

To a degree, but ultimately- Bollocks!

Laziness and a fear of suffering play the largest part here.

To a degree, but ultimately- Bollocks!

Laziness and a fear of suffering play the largest part here.
    You are not going to be a big gym chunk if you were born an ectomorph or whatever it is

People who find it hard to build muscle are called hard gainers as you know and that's because they have thin arms and thin legs

They simply cannot build muscle mass no matter how hard they train

It's genetics

You are not going to be a big gym chunk if you were born an ectomorph or whatever it is

People who find it hard to build muscle are called hard gainers as you know and that's because they have thin arms and thin legs

They simply cannot build muscle mass no matter how hard they train

It's genetics
    You can be a nifty winger etcomorph or whatever morph. You can put muscle on no matter what morph. A restraintive defeatist mindset is the cause of most westerners woes. You are in competition only with yourself - to bring up genetics as playing a big part in whether someone is overweight or not is a cop out.

You can be a nifty winger etcomorph or whatever morph. You can put muscle on no matter what morph. A restraintive defeatist mindset is the cause of most westerners woes. You are in competition only with yourself - to bring up genetics as playing a big part in whether someone is overweight or not is a cop out.
    No chance

You can eat right and try and train like a demon but someone of Bruce Lees build will never be the build of Arnie

Never

Weighed in this morning a Stone lighter in under a month.
    It's ridiculous how easier walking seems.
    Still have a little way to go...but it feels good and the motivation is still there atm.

Its not just a Diet though, its a lifestyle, you have support of others at the meeting, you can phone The group leader at any time for support ( they want you to stay as its another 5'er for them ) most will yo-yo a little, but thats the way it is, they are at the club for a reason, they were fat / fatter than they wanted to be and will likely like too much food / unhealthily food and that will always be around

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Its not just a Diet though, its a lifestyle, you have support of others at the meeting, you can phone The group leader at any time for support ( they want you to stay as its another 5'er for them ) most will yo-yo a little, but thats the way it is, they are at the club for a reason, they were fat / fatter than they wanted to be and will likely like too much food / unhealthily food and that will always be around
    If it works for you, then great. There isn't a perfect diet that works for everyone and different things work for different people. But in my experience the people who do these club/subscription based diets all seem to accept that it's something you do for a bit; go back to normal; do it again etc. And I dont like that as a plan, especially where people are paying for it. And are you sure it's a lifestyle thing? Don't most stop when they reach their goal weight or whatever? And then go back to their "normal", which is the problem.

If it works for you, then great. There isn't a perfect diet that works for everyone and different things work for different people. But in my experience the people who do these club/subscription based diets all seem to accept that it's something you do for a bit; go back to normal; do it again etc. And I dont like that as a plan, especially where people are paying for it. And are you sure it's a lifestyle thing? Don't most stop when they reach their goal weight or whatever? And then go back to their "normal", which is the problem.
    Oh I dont do it myself, a few of my wife's friends do it

from what I know, the successful ones dont just stop, in fact I think if you are within a few lb ( might be 3 either side from memory and that might be slimming world ? ? ? ) of your target you dont pay for the sessions ( which encourages the people who have hit target weight to continue to attend )

A friend of mine has been doing Slimming World for nearly 7 years and is bigger now than when she started. The concept doesn't seem at all scientific to me. It's universally known that to lose weight you need to intake less calories than you expend and as good as exercise is realistically you need to reduce your calorie intake over a period of time to lose weight.

Slimming World have this idea of not referring to calories at all but use some kind of points system and allow a certain amount of what they call "syns". The problem is for example my friend has absolutely no idea what her calorie intake is from day to day and uses her "syns" to justify eating cakes, bread and Knickerbocker Glories!!! Her response to everything is ...'its free on Slimming World"

There're some really inspirational stories in this thread, just read the whole thing.

Just thought it's worth a mention that the discussions re. safe calorific intakes and the NHS are very rigid and only deal with very general numbers well within bell curves. Metabolism, genetics (hereditary factors and diseases that are triggered by obesity or family histories of metabolic anomalies) and gender will all play an important role but a good way to illustrate this is with recent studies that look at fasting diets (FDs) and the production of ketones which can help with autoimmune diseases by being more efficient energy sources for the brain. These can slow the progression of diseases like Multiple Sclerosis and there are studies for Parkinsons and Dementia.

So, by following a fasting diet, incurable diseases like MS can, in some cases, be slowed down and prevent further brain lesions (or reduce the numbers of new lesions forming) and further neurological damage.

FDs are really hard to follow but it's possible to re-wire the brain and metabolism to adjust to much lower levels of food calories than people think. In fact, we still drastically overeat (especially sugars) in the west even when we're following the guidelines. Nearly half of the world lives on less than a $5.50/day and eat one meal a day.

I stress I'm not being preachy as I really struggle. Prior to lock-down things were finally heading in the right direction and I was feeling great having lost about 19kg but lockdown hit me really hard for lots of reasons and I'm back to where I started.

Fasting is essential to me for personal reasons and all there is left to try and slow down the rapid disease progression of progressive MS.

Sugar is like crack in western diets though. Evil stuff. It's everywhere.