+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Dalman, Choo & Tan: This should be your next manager for Cardiff City

Dear Dalman, Choo & Tan: This should be your next manager for Cardiff City

In yesterday's post I highlighted some key criteria that I thought should enable the club to sign the next manager, to replace "Big Mick". Today I would like to develop that criteria and suggest a name that doesn't appear to be on everyone's lips. Yet that very name suits our criteria as fans. It also should suit the criteria of Dalman, Choo and Tan. First of all, let's revisit that criteria.

Requirements & criteria for selecting the next Cardiff City manager
    The key requirements for the next coach should be:

*. A coach that wants to sign and develop youth and emerging players. This makes sense with a tight budget. Big transfer fees do not make sense unless there are big transfer sales.

*. To enable youth to have a pathway to the seniors, there needs to be a club style that is consistent from the Under 23s to the seniors to take advantage of that youth potential. Same language, same system, same shortlist of preferred formations.

*. Ensure the Under 23 style is consistent all the way down the age grades so when they move up an age grade, it all feels the same

*. Select a manager that will come in and play the emerging Under 23s from City's youth, providing they are of the requisite standard

*. The coach needs to also want to play that same style as the U23s, or build on it, and it should be his background / philosophy

*. Ensure the new manager can recruit cheaply the same style players as the existing Under 23s, but also in the 25-28 age range. This means a "Moneyball" approach. Hardly new, but still many clubs aren't good at it. Re-selling profits means investing in 2-3 more players and the squad builds. If they stay, it improves the squad anyway.

*. Sign a coach that has good contacts in the game, with emerging young talent. Ideally contacts with the FA or elite coaches around the world.

*. An understanding of what is required in this division, but also the one above should we get promoted.

Those are the requirements. Having performed by own personal filtering for coaches, I have personally identified the perfect name for this moment. Neil Critchley. Yes I'll say that again - Neil Critchley at Blackpool.

Neil Critchley - time at Crewe and Liverpool

He became Crewe's Academy Director in 2007. In 2013 Neil Critchley was poached from Crewe Alexandra and moved to Liverpool. Between 2013-17 he looked after the Under 18s. In 2017 he was promoted to the Under 23s. Although for only one game, Jurgen Klopp trusted him enough to run the League cup game against Aston Villa, where he selected many of his U23s to crush a senior Aston Villa side 5-0. During his reign as Under 18s and Under 23s he has been credited with the youth development or promotion Trent Alexander-Arnold, Neco Williams, Harry Wilson, Rhys Williams, Nat Phillips, Ben Woodburn, Curtis Jones who made it to the senior side. He also scouted Harvey Elliott and worked with him for a year before leaving. All of those players have gone on to play at Champions League level, and most England or Wales internationals. Quite a record for developing and promoting youth.

Key facts, performance and credentials at Blackpool

*. He is 43. Young, motivated, ambitious and hungry to prove himself. Mehmet Dalman should know from investment banking that these is the type of guys investment bankers like to hire. They bust a gut for success. Perfect for us, too.

*. Neil Critchley is one of only around 20 coaches in the world to have passed UEFA's Elite coaching licence programme

*. He signed a three and a half year contract in March 2020.

*. Neil Critchley's first season, he finished 13th with Blackpool. From there, it has been constant improvement.

*. In his second season, 3rd in League One, and a promotion via the playoffs.

*. So far this season, they are 12th.

*. All of the above has been on squeezed, limited resources, developing and working with young players, playing a good brand of attractive football. Just what we need.

Other factors, Risk / Rewards & Feasibility

*. Critchley will have great contacts with the FA and in the Liverpool academy. He will be able to sign young promising players to complement our own. Either young signings or on loan.

*. Emerging players will know all about him. They will want to play for him and his style of passing, pressing football. Wanting to sign for a coach is key in signing players

*. He will be able to tap up Klopp or other contacts on good, emerging European players.

*. Mc Carthy is reputed to be on 700k-900k a year. With eighteen months left of what cannot be an expensive contract, Critchley is financially viable. And Tan has deeper pockets than the Blackpool owner, if he chooses to bite the cherry.

*. He is in discussion about renewing a contract now.

Critchley ticks all our boxes. He has the style, the philosophy, the contacts, is price-attractive, isn't attracting too much competition, is near-available, is hungry, is motivated, modern, and one of the highest qualified UEFA coaches, and will surely come to a club bigger than little Blackpool. Yes, would Critchley want to join us? Maybe not. But as a former investment banker Dalman should be familiar with the way to tempt untempted candidates - money. Those golden handcuffs. A simple 3-4 year contract on 800k to £1m a year should do the trick. It is the best investment we can make. I am certain the results will follow.

Neil Critchley is the man for Cardiff City.

Re: Dear Dalman, Choo & Tan: This should be your next manager for Cardiff City

Yes, I would be happy with that. Paying off 2 years of his contract at Blackpool (or more if he renews) could be a problem though, especally as we also will be needing to pay off a year or McCarthy. We would be talking a couple of million for both the payoffs - I wouldn't like to say if that is feasible to us a this time or not.

Re: Dear Dalman, Choo & Tan: Sorry for the short note , do we have any financial barriers /risks moving one management team out and one in .

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    In yesterday's post I highlighted some key criteria that I thought should enable the club to sign the next manager, to replace "Big Mick". Today I would like to develop that criteria and suggest a name that doesn't appear to be on everyone's lips. Yet that very name suits our criteria as fans. It also should suit the criteria of Dalman, Choo and Tan. First of all, let's revisit that criteria.

*. A coach that wants to sign and develop youth and emerging players. This makes sense with a tight budget. Big transfer fees do not make sense unless there are big transfer sales.

*. To enable youth to have a pathway to the seniors, there needs to be a club style that is consistent from the Under 23s to the seniors to take advantage of that youth potential. Same language, same system, same shortlist of preferred formations.

*. Ensure the Under 23 style is consistent all the way down the age grades so when they move up an age grade, it all feels the same

*. Select a manager that will come in and play the emerging Under 23s from City's youth, providing they are of the requisite standard

*. The coach needs to also want to play that same style as the U23s, or build on it, and it should be his background / philosophy

*. Ensure the new manager can recruit cheaply the same style players as the existing Under 23s, but also in the 25-28 age range. This means a "Moneyball" approach. Hardly new, but still many clubs aren't good at it. Re-selling profits means investing in 2-3 more players and the squad builds. If they stay, it improves the squad anyway.

*. Sign a coach that has good contacts in the game, with emerging young talent. Ideally contacts with the FA or elite coaches around the world.

*. An understanding of what is required in this division, but also the one above should we get promoted.

Those are the requirements. Having performed by own personal filtering for coaches, I have personally identified the perfect name for this moment. Neil Critchley. Yes I'll say that again - Neil Critchley at Blackpool.

He became Crewe's Academy Director in 2007. In 2013 Neil Critchley was poached from Crewe Alexandra and moved to Liverpool. Between 2013-17 he looked after the Under 18s. In 2017 he was promoted to the Under 23s. Although for only one game, Jurgen Klopp trusted him enough to run the League cup game against Aston Villa, where he selected many of his U23s to crush a senior Aston Villa side 5-0. During his reign as Under 18s and Under 23s he has been credited with the youth development or promotion Trent Alexander-Arnold, Neco Williams, Harry Wilson, Rhys Williams, Nat Phillips, Ben Woodburn, Curtis Jones who made it to the senior side. He also scouted Harvey Elliott and worked with him for a year before leaving. All of those players have gone on to play at Champions League level, and most England or Wales internationals. Quite a record for developing and promoting youth.

*. He is 43. Young, motivated, ambitious and hungry to prove himself. Mehmet Dalman should know from investment banking that these is the type of guys investment bankers like to hire. They bust a gut for success. Perfect for us, too.

*. Neil Critchley is one of only around 20 coaches in the world to have passed UEFA's Elite coaching licence programme

*. Neil Critchley's first season, he finished 13th with Blackpool. From there, it has been constant improvement.

*. All of the above has been on squeezed, limited resources, developing and working with young players, playing a good brand of attractive football. Just what we need.

*. Critchley will have great contacts with the FA and in the Liverpool academy. He will be able to sign young promising players to complement our own. Either young signings or on loan.

*. Emerging players will know all about him. They will want to play for him and his style of passing, pressing football. Wanting to sign for a coach is key in signing players

*. He will be able to tap up Klopp or other contacts on good, emerging European players.

*. Mc Carthy is reputed to be on 700k-900k a year. With eighteen months left of what cannot be an expensive contract, Critchley is financially viable. And Tan has deeper pockets than the Blackpool owner, if he chooses to bite the cherry.

Critchley ticks all our boxes. He has the style, the philosophy, the contacts, is price-attractive, isn't attracting too much competition, is near-available, is hungry, is motivated, modern, and one of the highest qualified UEFA coaches, and will surely come to a club bigger than little Blackpool. Yes, would Critchley want to join us? Maybe not. But as a former investment banker Dalman should be familiar with the way to tempt untempted candidates - money. Those golden handcuffs. A simple 3-4 year contract on 800k to £1m a year should do the trick. It is the best investment we can make. I am certain the results will follow.

Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Re: Dear Dalman, Choo & Tan: Sorry for the short note , do we have any financial barriers /risks moving one management team out and one in .
    We would need to pay off MM and TC and then hire a replacement, including potentially a fee to break their current contract if they have one. We are talking a couple of million quid probably over the next season or 2. Depends how close to the limit we currently are on finances

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We would need to pay off MM and TC and then hire a replacement, including potentially a fee to break their current contract if they have one. We are talking a couple of million quid probably over the next season or 2. Depends how close to the limit we currently are on finances
    Considering we have a threadbare squad with one kid as a left back and holes everywhere, we are at the limit financially. Hence why MM is still in charge. We can’t afford to sack him. It’s going well. Maybe we could stop paying Dalman and cut him loose…

https://trainingground.guru/articles...coaches-course

Good post but are you getting your licences mixed up? You may well be right about the UEFA coaching badge but it seems the elite coaching licence is an FA thing and was disbanded some years ago.

I wasn't trying to catch you out; I figured that we couldn't afford Critchley at the moment so wondered if we could find a similar graduate who wouldn't need a fee and found the link above, though it looks like Critchley was the standout student.

Hopefully our new board member is on the case and scouring the globe for a similar prospect (said in hope rather than expectation).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Good post but are you getting your licences mixed up? You may well be right about the UEFA coaching badge but it seems the elite coaching licence is an FA thing and was disbanded some years ago.

I wasn't trying to catch you out; I figured that we couldn't afford Critchley at the moment so wondered if we could find a similar graduate who wouldn't need a fee and found the link above, though it looks like Critchley was the standout student.

Hopefully our new board member is on the case and scouring the globe for a similar prospect (said in hope rather than expectation).
    That coaching course sounds amazing, especially the part about preparing tactically to face Barcelona - what training drills you would use the week before to help your tactics work and then hearing from rene Mulensteen what ManUtd actually did in the build up to that game. All the bright young coaches on that course - I bet none of them would have come up with the innovation of playing 5 centre backs in one game. God knows what training drills we were doing to get that to work as well.

Non starter in a job. We wont pay comp

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Dick Bate, who set up this course was our Academy Director at one point apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_White_(footballer) here is another guy who attended that course, seems to have been successful wherever he's been, but all at a lower level.

Critchley is doing a fine job a Blackpool and is very well thought of by their fans. The compensation is the stumbling block though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Dick Bate, who set up this course was our Academy Director at one point apparently.
    Kevin Nicholson, our former under 23 manager, is on the list but after leaving Bangor seems to be working for an advisory firm.

One of the issues I have with the qualification era is that one can garner all the badges going but won't have the charisma or personality to inspire a team. Chopra suggested Mark Hudson as manager the other day but even though the latter might have all the football knowledge going he always struck me as fairly dour or at least lacking in imagination to create a holistic winning approach.

Nicholson also seemed fairly middle management accounting material but maybe I'm doing both a disservice; I don't know them personally. And Graham Potter doesn't seem like the all singing, all dancing Klopp or Guardiola type and it hasn't held him back.

Just compared our stats from last night https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...Fulham-Cardiff
    with Blackpool's (including Wintle)
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...ding-Blackpool
    Huge difference in passing accuracy throughout the teams. 95% for Wintle!

As much as Critchley sounds like a marvellous suggestion, it would mean City paying at least three lots of compo - MM, TC, and Blackpool. Sounds a bit too rich for the present state of our finances. And that's IF he wanted the job!

Outstanding post and he’d be perfect, but (not being able to afford it aside), If I was in his shoes I’d take one look at the playing squad and hierarchy of the club and run for the hills

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Just compared our stats from last night https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...Fulham-Cardiff
    with Blackpool's (including Wintle)
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...ding-Blackpool
    Huge difference in passing accuracy throughout the teams. 95% for Wintle!
    In fairness, Wintle would never achieve that with us with our tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    As much as Critchley sounds like a marvellous suggestion, it would mean City paying at least three lots of compo - MM, TC, and Blackpool. Sounds a bit too rich for the present state of our finances. And that's IF he wanted the job!
    Surely the challenge would be finding the next Critchley.

Not just throwing money into buying someone else’s

Mark Hudson maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In fairness, Wintle would never achieve that with us with our tactics.
    Probably.

Another good post.

I've read a bit about Critchley lately so it's strange he didn't pop into my head when thinking about the next manager.

I doubt he's on a fortune, reading between the lines of what he has to work with!!!!!!!

Depends if he wants to work under Tan. Who are the current owners of Blackpool after those vile Oystons were jailed (at least I think they were?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Depends if he wants to work under Tan. Who are the current owners of Blackpool after those vile Oystons were jailed (at least I think they were?).
    Owned now by a locally born investment banker and lifelong fan. The fans love him.
    Not sure if any of the Oystons were jailed for what they did to the club, though they did lose some court cases. One of them served time for rape in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Owned now by a locally born investment banker and lifelong fan. The fans love him.
    Not sure if any of the Oystons were jailed for what they did to the club, though they did lose some court cases. One of them served time for rape in the 90s.
    Ahhh yes, thanks for your reply. I knew at least one of them (father or son) had done time. Forgot it was for rape

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

Director of football post is free mate good post