+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vassell

Vassell

I think an important thing is communication between management and fans and this does not seem to exist at CCFC. A salient case that highlights this is the Vassell enigma. This guy has not played for the first team for over 2 years and yet we are as much in the dark now about the reasons for his non appearances as when he first arrived.It is not as if he has had major injuries like broken legs or ACL tears and yet he has had as many intended comebacks as Sinatra in his day. It seems as if he immediately falls off the radar on or about the impending comeback. Is it possible that the club can confirm whether Isaac is alive or dead at the very least?. If indeed Isaac is alive and kicking !! what the hell is wrong with him.

Re: Vassell

To me this chappie would be an immediate release once he is recovered. One of the greatest predictors of an injury re-occurrence is prior injury. Let's look at his injury record:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/isaa.../195481/plus/1

In the last four seasons he has had three major injuries. The ACL I can well understand he was omitted for 438 days and 64 games. That was a serious ACL injury, however optimistic anyone wishes to be. Following that he had a hamstring injury, which kept him out for just 5 days. That seems awfully short for a hamstring injury, and I would question who made that physio assessment to allow him to return after just 5 days. As a result, it re-occurred and he has been out for 488 days and 69 games. That is the problem with rushing players back.

According to top class physios, five factors affect a player's recovery from injury:

1. Degree of injury. Grade 1, 2 or 3?

2. The age of the player. Your body doesn't recover so well after late Twenties. If you are in your teens or early Twenties your body recovers a lot quicker. In most cases, fully with today's modern techniques and clinical precision.

3. Prior history of the same injury

4. How quick it was dealt with. For example, was it diagnosed, cared for (protected) and treated quick enough?

5. Quality of physical rehabilitation. Is the gym up to scratch? Is your physio an old fart or au fait with the latest and best rehabilitation techniques?

6. Mentality of the player. Mental commitment to an extensive rehab programme needs a person with a strong mind. The weak -minded player will skip his rehab or not be disciplined in their daily rehabilitation routine. Kinesiophobia is also often underrated in player recovery. All the above 5 factors may be on your side, but if you lose confidence in your knee, did not commit to your rehab, do not believe in yourself or your body enough to trust the moves of your body. If you have had ligament or cartilage injuries you must trust yourself to twist and turn as you did if you have recovered. If you have had muscular injuries but have recovered you must go full pelt on a sprint and not hold back. Kinesiophobia is a fear of your own body following a major injury, and can kill this confidence. The player may no longer trust his body, which means that even if the above 5 factors were in your favour you will not recover well enough and it affects elite performance.

That said, what one must now do as a coach is now form a view. Keep or get rid. You are paying him a salary. He has lost 931 days of football, and 134 potential games. That is three full seasons of no return on his wages, and no football contribution. A one-off ACL is recoverable a double hamstring injury and the length of being out suggest it is a tall order for what as an average player to return to his average form. Being out for a year with a hamstring tear either suggest a Grade 3 or he is suffering from Kinesiophobia.

At 28, out of the game for three years, I would say all the 6 factors above are not stacked in favour of a performant return. With regret, for me it is a very simple sell / release decision for Isaac Vassell.

*. I correct the final points. I said "all factors". I meant to say that even though he was probably cared for (4), had good treatment and I suspect a full rehabilitation programme (5), I think 1, 2, 3 and arguably 6 are not. So at least 3, but possibly 4 / 6 factors not in his favour.

He’s injured, it’s not rocket science. Leave the poor bloke alone

Relieve him of his contract

He's good around the dressing room apparently. On that basis the club should employ Roy 'Chubby' Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's good around the dressing room apparently. On that basis the club should employ Roy 'Chubby' Brown.
    We have to pay him either way. If he is doing anything to lift morale then might as well keep him around.

Does he fancy a go as manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He’s injured, it’s not rocket science. Leave the poor bloke alone
    Yes it is ,perfect simple summary , some of these lengthy many paragraph posts have got me old a bit giddy .

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    I think an important thing is communication between management and fans and this does not seem to exist at CCFC. A salient case that highlights this is the Vassell enigma. This guy has not played for the first team for over 2 years and yet we are as much in the dark now about the reasons for his non appearances as when he first arrived.It is not as if he has had major injuries like broken legs or ACL tears and yet he has had as many intended comebacks as Sinatra in his day. It seems as if he immediately falls off the radar on or about the impending comeback. Is it possible that the club can confirm whether Isaac is alive or dead at the very least?. If indeed Isaac is alive and kicking !! what the hell is wrong with him.
    Not really, he's had a few aborted comeback where he played for the U23's (widely reported by the club) and then got injured again. Calm down.

Why is it so important that you know where he is and what he is doing ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why is it so important that you know where he is and what he is doing ?
    That seems patently obvious to anyone following the club recently. He is a striker and when fit scores goals and as we are bereft of striking options any news on a likely addition in that area would be welcome. The initial premise in my post criticised the lack of communication by the club and the situation with Vassell indicates this.

you've got to feel for the guy, he's had no luck at all here

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Racist reported.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Racist reported.
    I'd have chubby instead of Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    We have to pay him either way. If he is doing anything to lift morale then might as well keep him around.

Does he fancy a go as manager?
    Dont be daft, he'd even get injured doing that.

I don't need to know what he's doing or where he is. All i know is the fella has given everything to get over injuries to get back playing for us and has been devastated with setbacks unlike Tonlin who couldn't care less about playing when he was here..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I don't need to know what he's doing or where he is. All i know is the fella has given everything to get over injuries to get back playing for us and has been devastated with setbacks unlike Tonlin who couldn't care less about playing when he was here..
    You obviously know a lot more than me about Vassell. So what is wrong with him at the moment. You say you don’t need to know what he’s doing or where he is and yet you seem to have first hand knowledge of his injuries, treatment, rehabilitation etc. and it would be useful for you to share this info. with us especially regarding Isaac’s battle to get fit. I take it , of course, that you have no practitioner patient relationship with our friend and would not thus contravene the Hippocratic Oath. I am not saying that you are wrong but Isaac is probably earning in a week more than I get in a year in pension and as a season ticket holder for over 40 years the matter does in a small way interest me.

I guess the issue is he would want paying up in full. No advantage for City to do that. Although who knows, although massively unlikely he could get fit enough to be used for a few games. May come on and score that winner to keep us up. I’m sure if he could stay fit for some time he could be a great asset, sadly it seems unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    you've got to feel for the guy, he's had no luck at all here
    Absolutely. Neville spoke about how low he felt when he was injured. Vassell has been out for the best part of 4/5 seasons now? It’s not his fault Warnock bought him. Poor bloke, I bet he’d take a decent pay cut to be able to play and feel part of a football club again. About this time last year, he was crying as he walked off the pitch with yet another injury… and that was a year ago and he’s not played a competitive game for us since August 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Absolutely. Neville spoke about how low he felt when he was injured. Vassell has been out for the best part of 4/5 seasons now? It’s not his fault Warnock bought him. Poor bloke, I bet he’d take a decent pay cut to be able to play and feel part of a football club again. About this time last year, he was crying as he walked off the pitch with yet another injury… and that was a year ago and he’s not played a competitive game for us since August 19.
    Yes, I get all that but what the hell is wrong with him. Is it physical, mental or both?. I am old enough to remember Greg Farrell , on his day one of the finest players to put on a City shirt, who mysteriously vanished from the scene, overnight. We, fans, found out at a later date that Greg was apparently doing time for burglary. I am not saying this is the case with Vassell but some better communication from the club about his condition would elicit more sympathy from fans perhaps

You obviously know a lot more than me about Vassell. So what is wrong with him at the moment. You say you don’t need to know what he’s doing or where he is and yet you seem to have first hand knowledge of his injuries, treatment, rehabilitation etc. and it would be useful for you to share this info. with us especially regarding Isaac’s battle to get fit. I take it , of course, that you have no practitioner patient relationship with our friend and would not thus contravene the Hippocratic Oath. I am not saying that you are wrong but Isaac is probably earning in a week more than I get in a year in pension and as a season ticket holder for over 40 years the matter does in a small way interest me.
    Vassell's earning power and your decisions about how you've spent your leisure time for the last 40 years are not linked, stop pretending that they are

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Vassell's earning power and your decisions about how you've spent your leisure time for the last 40 years are not linked, stop pretending that they are
    I am not pretending they are IMO they are. Vassell’s earning power as a footballer at the moment is zero which is why I come back to my original question I.e. what the hell is wrong with him?. Sorting this out for both me and Isaac would be a great relief o both of us.

I am not pretending they are IMO they are. Vassell’s earning power as a footballer at the moment is zero which is why I come back to my original question I.e. what the hell is wrong with him?. Sorting this out for both me and Isaac would be a great relief o both of us.
    He’s injured.
    PS. This reminds me of ‘theres a hole in my bucket’ song.

Yes, I get all that but what the hell is wrong with him. Is it physical, mental or both?. I am old enough to remember Greg Farrell , on his day one of the finest players to put on a City shirt, who mysteriously vanished from the scene, overnight. We, fans, found out at a later date that Greg was apparently doing time for burglary. I am not saying this is the case with Vassell but some better communication from the club about his condition would elicit more sympathy from fans perhaps
    He is injured, physically. That’s why he left the field in tears. He isn’t fit, he can’t play. He has been a terrible signing but that doesn’t mean he isn’t deserving of sympathy.

Another operation apparently.
    You've got to feel for him. It's frustrating for the club and for us, but it must be absolutely gutting for him.