+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Away Days

Away Days

Lighten the mood a bit. It was touched on here the other day about UTSL’s dalliance with the woman with the shopping trolley before a Pompey away game a few seasons back and today one other funny trip came to mind. Donny away, up on the TIT bus and for some reason we ended up in a pub in Doncaster itself. If you’ve ever TITTED it to an away match you’ll know that the usual pub stop is always a few miles away from the destination, not this occasion for some reason.

Anyway, when we get in the pub there’s a wedding reception in full swing. Well, the guests looked a right state, we were dressed smarter than them and we were off to a football match. The bride looked like Eddie Waring, dear God it was a rough clientele. They were nuts as well, it was something to witness. We were all, under our breath, taking the piss, we daren’t do it out loud, I dread to think what would have happened. Tony being the most ‘silently’ vocal of us all

Time to go, we all board the bus, one problem, no Tony. The wedding crowd come out into the car park for the wedding photos. The photographer doing what photographers do, arranging guests, moving him there, her there etc. Tony didn’t get moved about all, there he was next to the bride & groom (hard to tell apart), beaming ear to ear featuring in every snap.

I often wonder what they think when they skim through their wedding album.

Re: Away Days

Remember it well I was debating which one to kiss, the bride or groom, as there didn’t seem to be much difference I went for the bride though (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Remember it well I was debating which one to kiss, the bride or groom, as there didn’t seem to be much difference I went for the bride though (I think)
    Great times, great fun.

Which one was it? Somewhere up north, we stopped in a beer garden. There was a set of doors running the length of the building, bit of a problem opening them.....Tony sorted them ......every f*cker was either locked in or locked out

Forest away was always a cracker of a trip. Tony would book The Cuckoo Bush pub in Gotham, Gary, the landlord, would bring in extra staff to cater for us, grub laid on, the works.

The one season we’d not been there half hour when the police turned up, turfed us all out, back onto the coaches and on to Nottingham. A few of us escaped, nipped over to the pub across the road, waited till the law went and went back over to Gary’s, getting taxis into Nottingham a little later. Gary was right pissed off, extra staff, plenty of grub and the bloody police put the kybosh on it. He did infer that the landlord across the road may have blown the whistle through jealousy.

The next season we make for The Cuckoo Bush again but when we pull up a farmer’s wife approaches the buses. She was the archetypal farmer’s wife, baggy jumper, jodhpurs, wellies and she got out of an old land rover. She tells us to get off, which we do, and go in the pub. The drivers come in a short time later telling us they followed her, on her instructions, down a lane, into a farm and into a huge barn. “Those bloody police can even send a helicopter up now, there’ll be no sign of football buses”.

Brilliant, as a football fan, to be treated like that. Those Gotham folk appreciated us spending a few bob in their village and boy did they show it.

Another tale of Gotham is that Batman’s Gotham City got its name from there, but that’s another story, a story the locals are proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Which one was it? Somewhere up north, we stopped in a beer garden. There was a set of doors running the length of the building, bit of a problem opening them.....Tony sorted them ......every f*cker was either locked in or locked out

Bolton I think, the pub was by the canal

Bolton I think, the pub was by the canal
    That was it

That was it

What about the train to Peterborough

Banned

It's always a top day out on the tit fair play

I'd almost forgotten about that one,
    The unscheduled coach stop at Norwich was another great day out

Great times, great fun.

We’re trying hard to get those days back, but covid is making it hard.

We’ve stopped taking lone under 18’s, we’ve stopped travellers singing that horrible song and we’ve started looking for new watering holes, as a lot of the regular haunts have shut down.

One is actually being demolished to make way for that stupid High Speed Train

our bus was checked to see if any one was on there as the copper said weve just had an empty one

haven't heard a Cilla Black song since the last TIT

gotta try and look at the positives

Empty buses rolling into Peterborough, f*ck me they’ve got shite support, then the train from the next small town down the line coming in packed out

Empty buses rolling into Peterborough, f*ck me they’ve got shite support, then the train from the next small town down the line coming in packed out
    talking of Peterborough, that Boxing Day (I think it was) game up there (4-0 at half time, 4-4 at full time) they gave us a nightclub opposite the ground and as we all spilled out 10 minutes before kick off the carnage as dozens of p1ssed up headers were falling ar5e over t1t on the icy car park, it was like a zombie apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Malai View Post
    haven't heard a Cilla Black song since the last TIT

gotta try and look at the positives
    heyyyyyyyyyyy, hope you're good Ben 👍🏽

Lighten the mood a bit. It was touched on here the other day about UTSL’s dalliance with the woman with the shopping trolley before a Pompey away game a few seasons back..
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman.."

a few seasons back try 10 or 11 seasons back..

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman.."

a few seasons back try 10 or 11 seasons back..

Only you could latch onto a 90 year old “trolley dolly”

Only you could latch onto a 90 year old “trolley dolly”
    more your age that one Tony

A few years back we stopped off in a pub in a village not far from Reading.
    The landlady let us leave our bags in the beer cellar to pick after the game.
    When we went back after The game she had free shots lined up for us.
    When we finally left about 8pm she said she had taken more over the bar than she had at Christmas and the New year!

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    A few years back we stopped off in a pub in a village not far from Reading.
    The landlady let us leave our bags in the beer cellar to pick after the game.
    When we went back after The game she had free shots lined up for us.
    When we finally left about 8pm she said she had taken more over the bar than she had at Christmas and the New year!
    Remember the days when landlords had blackboards outside their pub saying ‘No Football Coaches’. Never understood that mentality, 1 bus, 52 blokes fighting to put money in your till, all gone before 2pm to get to the game while you count the cash. They soon changed their tune.