+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh medium education

Re: Welsh medium education

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Personally I hated learning Welsh at school my parents never spoke it at home even though my mother was from the north….still can’t get my head around the national anthem.
    You can't learn one song with ten lines?

My three kids went to Welsh language primary and secondary schools. My wife was from Welsh-speaking west Wales, and insisted on them going. They have all left school - one has a Masters, and the other two are in the final year of their degrees. So it is no barrier to further education. They use their language when they can, with both friends and family.
    I can see the argument that people use English outside of school/home. Of course they do - it is the main language of the world, and not just the UK. But that is not an excuse to let the language disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    My three kids went to Welsh language primary and secondary schools. My wife was from Welsh-speaking west Wales, and insisted on them going. They have all left school - one has a Masters, and the other two are in the final year of their degrees. So it is no barrier to further education. They use their language when they can, with both friends and family.
    I can see the argument that people use English outside of school/home. Of course they do - it is the main language of the world, and not just the UK. But that is not an excuse to let the language disappear.
    Marvellous news for your children you must be proud 👏

I don't think anyone wants the language to disappear.

Different strikes for different folks , and diversity and free choice is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    I started learning Welsh some 50 years ago and have taught it in adult night classes just to state this up front.
    I have a number of neighbours whose kids go to Welsh schools but when I speak to them in Welsh they always answer in English. I have never heard them speak Welsh amongst themselves or with friends. Another family have grown up kids who went to Welsh school but have now lost completely the language. I recently went to see a Welsh school playing rugby and only heard the main coach speaking Welsh, all the players conversed in English. This scenario reflects itself in most areas of South Wales that I visit regularly. This will continue whilst parents who speak only English send their kids to Welsh schools whilst making no effort to learn the language. As soon as the children leave the school environment the children only speak English. In view of the fact that Welsh medium education costs a fortune and has recently been allocated another £30million by Welsh govt. it begs the question under the present system whether it is money well spent.
    It's not money well spent at all is the answer