Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
In what way?

I have a theory that having separate Welsh and English medium schools doesn't help the Welsh language. I'd like to see those schools combined.

Imagine a merger of an English and Welsh medium secondary school. All departments merge. Lessons are taught in both languages, depending on the choice of the child, so friends A and B are both going to their GCSE music class - A is in one room while B is next door being taught in Welsh. The environment would be truly bilingual. Those who learn in English are aware of Welsh being used and might feel there's more point to the Welsh language than some do currently. They get to go to school with their friends. Resources get pooled and strengthened by a merger. Welsh speaking staff in English medium schools are able to teach in Welsh. There would be some cost benefits as well. Some people might say that children learning through the medium of Welsh won't be in a Welsh-only environment, but the truth is that there is little Welsh spoken by kids in Welsh schools outside of the classroom, unless there are teachers about.
Wouldn’t work in my personal opinion

Everyone that goes to a Welsh medium school buys in at the very start.