+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stoke

Stoke

Any recommendations of pre-match pubs?

My understanding is fans are free to travel to Stoke (i.e. not a bubble trip)

Re: Stoke

My recommendation is to stay at home.

I know Stoke pretty well as my partner lives there. I’ve spent about 3 years of my life there over the past decade. Do not tell anyone in Stoke, Newcastle-under-Lyme etc that you’re a Cardiff fan as we are despised.

If you’re determined to go for a pint do not go in Stoke-upon-Trent (the town that gives the city its name) itself. Hanley, Newcastle and Burslem are the main drinking/nightlife areas in Stoke and are all within a few miles of the stadium. Penkhull and Hartshill are quite affluent areas very close to Stoke-upon-Trent with some decent pubs (Greyhound and Noah’s Ark)There are some nice pubs in Newcastle (Lymestone Vaults, plus the Cherry Tree which is a Hungry Horse and the Polite Vicar which is similar).

The Naughty Forty will definitely be on the lookout for Cardiff supporters, as will the Port Vale crew. Keep a low profile and disguise your accent if you want to avoid trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    I know Stoke pretty well as my partner lives there. I’ve spent about 3 years of my life there over the past decade. Do not tell anyone in Stoke, Newcastle-under-Lyme etc that you’re a Cardiff fan as we are despised.

If you’re determined to go for a pint do not go in Stoke-upon-Trent (the town that gives the city its name) itself. Hanley, Newcastle and Burslem are the main drinking/nightlife areas in Stoke and are all within a few miles of the stadium. Penkhull and Hartshill are quite affluent areas very close to Stoke-upon-Trent with some decent pubs (Greyhound and Noah’s Ark)There are some nice pubs in Newcastle (Lymestone Vaults, plus the Cherry Tree which is a Hungry Horse and the Polite Vicar which is similar).

The Naughty Forty will definitely be on the lookout for Cardiff supporters, as will the Port Vale crew. Keep a low profile and disguise your accent if you want to avoid trouble.
    Still involved with the Potteries Tourist Board then

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_andretti View Post
    Any recommendations of pre-match pubs?

My understanding is fans are free to travel to Stoke (i.e. not a bubble trip)
    Last time the police marched us from the train station to The Terrace, which was big, cheap and had Sky.

Sounds like all the tales English people tell their mates about Wales.

Everyone there hates us etc, really 99% of people couldn't give a shit.

Sorry but this is nonsense. I was at college in Stoke-on Trent and lived there for three years. Its certainly isn't as bad as as he makes out. in fact the last time I was there the last match before covid we arrived by train and walked round the corner into Stoke itself and went to The Glebe and The White Hart we were made as Cardiff fans in both pubs and were chatting away to the Stoke fans who were very friendly, both pubs are handy as the buses to the ground go from just outside them. Didn't need to keep a low profile or disguise our accents. If you are not looking for trouble in Stoke its no worse than anywhere else.

Are the naughty forty still going? They must be pensioners now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Sorry but this is nonsense. I was at college in Stoke-on Trent and lived there for three years. Its certainly isn't as bad as as he makes out. in fact the last time I was there the last match before covid we arrived by train and walked round the corner into Stoke itself and went to The Glebe and The White Hart we were made as Cardiff fans in both pubs and were chatting away to the Stoke fans who were very friendly, both pubs are handy as the buses to the ground go from just outside them. Didn't need to keep a low profile or disguise our accents. If you are not looking for trouble in Stoke its no worse than anywhere else.

It's now the matey eighties.

The Naughty Forty.😂😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post

Fair enough. The landlord of the White Star (not the White Hart) told me not to mention that I was from Cardiff when I was in there last, in 2019. And I’ve met quite a few of the Naughty Forty, only one knew I was from Cardiff and he told me to keep it quiet. They were in their fifties and sixties. In the Dick Turpin in Westlands I had to pretend to be from Swansea or I would definitely have been attacked. I was literally singing Hymns and Arias and Hark Now Hear.

I’ve spent at least a week in Stoke every month for the past 10 years and my experience is that Cardiff aren’t liked. Your experience may differ but it’s a bit rude to call it nonsense. If I were going I would avoid Stoke and drink in Newcastle but I’m quite cautious as I can’t afford to be involved in any trouble due to my past (non-football) indiscretions.