+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First signing in January has to be a left back

First signing in January has to be a left back

Bagan and Brown League 2 at best.

Re: First signing in January has to be a left back

I thought Bagan might push on but the defensive side to his game just doesn’t seem to be there. Issue is that we also really need a midfield and some width and have no money.
    I’m hoping maybe Wintle and Whyte can fill two of those gaps

Bagan is still a teenager isn't he? let's not write our youngsters off after a few bad games. they are going to have difficult games but they should benefit from the experience in the long term

Joe Bennett

No signings according to Dalman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No signings according to Dalman.
    That could be anything up to 10 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bagan is still a teenager isn't he? let's not write our youngsters off after a few bad games. they are going to have difficult games but they should benefit from the experience in the long term
    In my experience, City fans have been writing youngsters off after a few games since 1963.

Two “worst ever” club records were set today, anyone expecting young players just coming into the side to consistently shine in such circumstances are being very unfair I feel. Despite all of the departures in recent months, there’s still a nucleus of experienced performers at this level who, with the odd exception have been a long way below par this season and yet they’ve got off almost Scot free because people are more inclined to blame the manager or youngsters.

If you've not seen enough by now to know Bagan is not good enough for championship football then you're the same people who were happy when the club gave Mick a 2 year contract.

I think the criticism of Bagan is harsh. He's young and barely been given a run of games. Although he gave away the ball mid week he was strung up by some of the passes from the centre halves.

Our biggest issue is having senior players incapable of playing a pass. We have on tactical nuance, I can never tell what we as a side are trying to achieve going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    I think the criticism of Bagan is harsh. He's young and barely been given a run of games. Although he gave away the ball mid week he was strung up by some of the passes from the centre halves.

Our biggest issue is having senior players incapable of playing a pass. We have on tactical nuance, I can never tell what we as a side are trying to achieve going forward.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    If you've not seen enough by now to know Bagan is not good enough for championship football then you're the same people who were happy when the club gave Mick a 2 year contract.
    not at all, I had big reservations about McCarthy, and I also understand that you need to allow youngsters to make mistakes in order to improve. very few teenagers will stand out at championship level, even if they go on to be good championship players

I don't remember anyone being happy about the two year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I thought Bagan might push on but the defensive side to his game just doesn’t seem to be there. Issue is that we also really need a midfield and some width and have no money.
    Playing for such a poor team can’t help him. He deserves more time. I’m sure of it.

I’ve seen enough of Bagan playing for the under 18s and under 23s to know he’s got the potential to be the sort of composed footballing defender we’re in need of - I wouldn’t be surprised if his long term future is in central defence.

we may just drop down to there level if worse case sinario... but yes i agree we need to improve there for sure

hopefully we do stay up and can attract a better quality of personel than we could if we drop out...

Fair enough. I obviously disagree and wish the lad all the best. We'll see who was proved right in time.

Bagan's problem is that he's expected to get forward, but no-one covers for him. Not properly, anyway.

I don't like singling out the kids but the OP has a point, we can't afford to have Bagan learn on the job as our main left back, teams are aware that we are weak down that side and he's going to get exploited over and over. The less said about Brown the better.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Joe Bennett
    It's funny the stick he would sometimes get on here, not from all of course.

Guy looks like Roberto Carlos at the moment in comparison. That's no dig at Bagan either who is young and been thrust into this shit show.

Was he injured today? Saw no reason to otherwise revert to a cb there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Playing for such a poor team can’t help him. He deserves more time. I’m sure of it.
    I thought wingback would be perfect for him.

I presume you applied for the vacant manager's position as you so obviously know more about the game than any of us

Fair enough. I obviously disagree and wish the lad all the best. We'll see who was proved right in time.
    I don't think you do. I think you want him to fail to prove you right. Nothing like giving someone a bit of confidence is there?

Quote Originally Posted by CF23 Bluebird View Post
    I don't think you do. I think you want him to fail to prove you right. Nothing like giving someone a bit of confidence is there?
    No I didn't want him to fall. I wanted him to be the answer like I do all the youngsters but he is not good enough for championship football. Maybe he will be in years to come. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I've seen a few posts on here lately hoping Whyte can come back and do well.

He seems to have gone up in stock by not playing here. I rarely saw a good word written about him on this messageboard when he was in the squad and playing.

We have a decent left back in Ryan Giles but Mick insisted on him being a forward. I don't see why we don't give him a go there, it's clear the opposition have figured out how to stop him as an attacking threat