+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would stop Tan doing a 'Hammam' if he chose to do so?

What would stop Tan doing a 'Hammam' if he chose to do so?

What would stop VT doing similar to what Hammam did?

These owners don't exactly publicise the facts of their true intentions while still at the club. Usually not until they have left the club and you suddenly see the other side of their character.
    Sam Hammam changed from loveable, fun owner to the clubs main enemy almost overnight. What would stop VT doing something similar?

It seems beyond odd that an owner has had interest in others buying the club and blankly refused to even entertain them (info from recent meetings with Dalman) but seems content on cutting club expenses in any way they can while still pumping money in.
    It all seems very odd. Why would somebody like VT hold onto a club like Cardiff City on it's current inevitable (due to the above mentioned cost cutting) slide.

Re: What would stop Tan doing a 'Hammam' if he chose to do so?

Good questions mate. The blind faith some people have in Tan (mainly because they nailed their literal colours to the mast 9 years ago and are too stubborn to back track) is ridiculous.

Tan can say all he wants but none of really know what is going on (and neither should we have to be overly concerned) but....the extreme lack of trust in anyone running the football club means we are worried

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Good questions mate. The blind faith some people have in Tan (mainly because they nailed their literal colours to the mast 9 years ago and are too stubborn to back track) is ridiculous.

Tan can say all he wants but none of really know what is going on (and neither should we have to be overly concerned) but....the extreme lack of trust in anyone running the football club means we are worried
    It just seems odd to me.

If your average bloke on the street had a house that was falling into a state of disrepair that you were sinking money into that you wouldn't see back and you were offered a half decent amount you'd snap their hand off.

Why is he keeping hold of a club he is no longer interested in, seems to have no intention of pushing for promotion with anytime soon and is costing him millions a month personally? One that will lose value and continue to do so with the 'plans' we have in place that is basically spend nothing on it while slowly sliding down the leagues. All this on top of his other business losses.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It just seems odd to me.

If your average bloke on the street had a house that was falling into a state of disrepair that you were sinking money into that you wouldn't see back and you were offered a half decent amount you'd snap their hand off.

Why is he keeping hold of a club he is no longer interested in, seems to have no intention of pushing for promotion with anytime soon and is costing him millions a month personally? One that will lose value and continue to do so with the 'plans' we have in place that is basically spend nothing on it while slowly sliding down the leagues. All this on top of his other business losses.
    I don't know enough about the actual offers that may or may not have been put on the table. If we did have any solid offers (Hammam aside) then I concur, seems ridiculous he didn't take them.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I don't know enough about the actual offers that may or may not have been put on the table. If we did have any solid offers (Hammam aside) then I concur, seems ridiculous he didn't take them.
    Surely any offer would at least be considered if it is costing him the amounts they have said it is.
    Add to the fact he isn't looking to turn us into a club that is in danger of increasing in value any time soon.

Why would somebody keep hold of a club that is costing them millions per month and decreasing in value and league placings?

It just seems odd to me.

Ok, agreed, he might screw us over.

Now what?

These owners don't exactly publicise the facts of their true intentions while still at the club. Usually not until they have left the club and you suddenly see the other side of their character.
    Sam Hammam changed from loveable, fun owner to the clubs main enemy almost overnight. What would stop VT doing something similar?

It seems beyond odd that an owner has had interest in others buying the club and blankly refused to even entertain them (info from recent meetings with Dalman) but seems content on cutting club expenses in any way they can while still pumping money in.
    It all seems very odd. Why would somebody like VT hold onto a club like Cardiff City on it's current inevitable (due to the above mentioned cost cutting) slide.
    He's an ageing multi-millionaire (to the tune of the best part of a billion) and is probably now focused on his personal legacy "issues".
    He probably won't sell unless it shows his stewardship of the club to have been a positive thing.

I doubt theres been any serious offers and I bet one is from someone suing us.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    He's an ageing multi-millionaire (to the tune of the best part of a billion) and is probably now focused on his personal legacy "issues".
    He probably won't sell unless it shows his stewardship of the club to have been a positive thing.
    I tend to agree with you. His Malaysian heritage and culture will have a lot to do with it. He will not be thinking along the same lines as a Brit.

It seems beyond odd that an owner has had interest in others buying the club and blankly refused to even entertain them
    At least he's not comp-ing the bar at Kiwis for fake millionaires pretending to want to buy us

_47173328_rids_steele_huw.jpg

We won't know until he goes and he doesn't say bugger all so we are in the dark at present.
    Unlike Hammam who was sussed by many long before he went..

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    At least he's not comp-ing the bar at Kiwis for fake millionaires pretending to want to buy us

_47173328_rids_steele_huw.jpg
    I remember that fella from Jersey or similar?
    And who can forget Jim Cadman

If I was so concerned about my legacy, I'd be a bit more careful about my decision making and if I was in a situation like Tan is at Cardiff City I'd start looking for the best people to guide me and I'd listen to what they were saying. Tan seems like the kind of person that's so focused on himself that he hasn't begun to consider a world that he's no longer the centre of.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If I was so concerned about my legacy, I'd be a bit more careful about my decision making and if I was in a situation like Tan is at Cardiff City I'd start looking for the best people to guide me and I'd listen to what they were saying. Tan seems like the kind of person that's so focused on himself that he hasn't begun to consider a world that he's no longer the centre of.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This is the reason for my original post.

It defies logic to keep ploughing money and accumulating debt for a club you've lost interest in and seem way past your intention to push them to the next level.

I hope it is a vanity thing because this could be Hammam on a whole bigger scale if he goes after his debt in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I remember that fella from Jersey or similar?
    And who can forget Jim Cadman
    Lol - Ben Steele 32 from Guernsey said he was worth £200m then disappeared off the face of the earth.

Surely any offer would at least be considered if it is costing him the amounts they have said it is.
    Add to the fact he isn't looking to turn us into a club that is in danger of increasing in value any time soon.

Why would somebody keep hold of a club that is costing them millions per month and decreasing in value and league placings?
    Possibly because anyone looking at the 'books' will see the huge wage bill and run away. The club's a much better proposition for any buyer when the club has reduced the wage bill and large contract liabilities - providing the club is still in the Championship..

Bloody Hell, if that's the case let's hope he lives till he's 200?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Possibly because anyone looking at the 'books' will see the huge wage bill and run away. The club's a much better proposition for any buyer when the club has reduced the wage bill and large contract liabilities - providing the club is still in the Championship..
    That's alright.
    Once this season ends our total wage bill will be about £10,000 a week with 10 former under 23s in the starting 11 in League 1.

How much larger is our wage bill than say your Blackburns or Millwalls of this league? Is our squad much more extravagant than theirs? I mean this season, not seasons gone by when we had PL or parachute payments.

I don't know why fans invest so much concern in the clubs finances, didn't anybody learn anything over the past 20 years following the club, Cardiff City is, and in recent times has always been a poorly run business, and we are customers, the bossman himself told us all in a public statement what we should do if we weren't happy with the product..

Somehow I can’t see Tan up Pen-Y-Fan queueing at the ice cream van.

That's alright.
    Once this season ends our total wage bill will be about £10,000 a week with 10 former under 23s in the starting 11 in League 1.

How much larger is our wage bill than say your Blackburns or Millwalls of this league? Is our squad much more extravagant than theirs? I mean this season, not seasons gone by when we had PL or parachute payments.
    We've still got Smithies, Morrison, Ralls, and Bacuna on the contracts that they signed when we were in the Premier League. We're probably paying a fair chunk of Murphy's wages as well.

Not to mention £7m of contingent future liabilities related to potential future costs regarding players registrations and transfers as at May 2020 mentioned in the last published accounts. Think the idea is there are a number of bumper clauses on said players bought during the good times, the club plans on us not having to pay one way or another. (Ie.getting them to the end of their contracts without trigger point for clauses met). They believe the likelihood is low enough for them to not have to make provision for them, but material enough to note the existence of.

Tan can do whatever he wants , it's his club

Many years ago the trust was set up to give the fans a voice

But the vast majority of Cardiff City fans were not interested . And the rest openly hostile .

So we lay down for the change to red

And now everybody is getting stressed out ?

I am afraid Tan is in total control

That's alright.

2019/20 Blackburn £16m, Millwall £13m City £46m, but, yes, probably a lot less last season, and even less this season. Maybe in the £20 - £25m now ??