+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: £9.50 Minimum Living Wage On The Way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: £9.50 Minimum Living Wage On The Way

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    XXXX are underpaid therefore everybody beneath them should be underpaid accordingly on a sliding scale is a pretty depressing point of view
    No need to blank it out. Who is this XXXX person you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No need to blank it out. Who is this XXXX person you speak of?
    I was replying to dembe who was talking about safety critical staff on the railways, I'm stunned that that wasn't obvious

I was replying to dembe who was talking about safety critical staff on the railways, I'm stunned that that wasn't obvious
    What is that whoosh sound?

What is that whoosh sound?
    Oh.

Shit.

XXXX are underpaid therefore everybody beneath them should be underpaid accordingly on a sliding scale is a pretty depressing point of view
    I'm not saying they SHOULD be paid less but if the minimum waged for unskilled work goes up then these types of roles would also need a bump. Where is all this money coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'm not saying they SHOULD be paid less but if the minimum waged for unskilled work goes up then these types of roles would also need a bump. Where is all this money coming from?
    of course they will have to go up, back to the building trade, The Labourer getting paid the same as a Chippy, the Time served Skilled Chippy is going to wonder why he is bringing in his 500 quid festool saw and his other power tools worth another few K when the labourer just brings in his lunch box with a pork pie in

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    of course they will have to go up, back to the building trade, The Labourer getting paid the same as a Chippy, the Time served Skilled Chippy is going to wonder why he is bringing in his 500 quid festool saw and his other power tools worth another few K when the labourer just brings in his lunch box with a pork pie in
    So the Chippie blames the Labourer why he's not on more money for his skills, knowledge, tools etc. I don't think that we should look at it that way. A time served tradesman should be on £800 per week on day rate. That's £160 a day. Look how much work these contractors are getting for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So the Chippie blames the Labourer why he's not on more money for his skills, knowledge, tools etc. I don't think that we should look at it that way.
    Exactly. Reminds me of seeing someone in the US angrily asking why recovering drug addicts were given methodone for free when they had to pay $300 per month for insulin. It was pointed out that the drug addict isn't the person to be angry it, it's the people charging $300 for something that costs a fraction of that to produce

Exactly. Reminds me of seeing someone in the US angrily asking why recovering drug addicts were given methodone for free when they had to pay $300 per month for insulin. It was pointed out that the drug addict isn't the person to be angry it, it's the people charging $300 for something that costs a fraction of that to produce
    It's what Capitalism thrives on. They have nothing to worry about if we are all blaming each other for our differing degrees of misery. The hospitality industry is taking a hit, and good in my opinion. They've been ripping off workers and using them casually for years. People don't want to do these shitty jobs without breaks, early mornings, low satisfaction levels etc. And still some of theses bosses can be heard saying that people just don't want to work, they don't realise that it's them that have 'Made their bed'

So the Chippie blames the Labourer why he's not on more money for his skills, knowledge, tools etc. I don't think that we should look at it that way. A time served tradesman should be on £800 per week on day rate. That's £160 a day. Look how much work these contractors are getting for their money.
    Not sure he would blame the Labourer, but he certainly might question why he is providing his tools and knowledge / skills for the same money as a labourer and ask himself why he isn't earning more money and be asking the person paying his wages why this isn't the case

Not sure he would blame the Labourer, but he certainly might question why he is providing his tools and knowledge / skills for the same money as a labourer and ask himself why he isn't earning more money and be asking the person paying his wages why this isn't the case
    So he should. Although you know as well as i do, that no labourer would be on the same rate as a Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    If you want to set minimum wage by asking business what they can afford to pay then you probably shouldn't bother having one.
    I didn't say we should ask them did I.

But deciding on an extra 50 percent increase, where does this all come from for these businesses?

Is he a chippie? Time served?
    My mate was offered a similar rate fitting kitchens. He respectfully declined, this was self employed mind.

I didn't say we should ask them did I.

But deciding on an extra 50 percent increase, where does this all come from for these businesses?
    You asked a question, I gave you the answer based on my experiences of how much it would cost to live in London or the surrounding regions given travel costs. I think it is more important that employees are afforded a dignified and reasonable existence than it is that employers are afforded the opportunity to run a business off the back of paying people wages low enough that they are in constant struggle and misery.

And you kind of are saying we should ask them because you are saying the minimum wage should be set at a rate which is affordable to business. I don't agree that this should enter into the equation.

You asked a question, I gave you the answer based on my experiences of how much it would cost to live in London or the surrounding regions given travel costs. I think it is more important that employees are afforded a dignified and reasonable existence than it is that employers are afforded the opportunity to run a business off the back of paying people wages low enough that they are in constant struggle and misery.

And you kind of are saying we should ask them because you are saying the minimum wage should be set at a rate which is affordable to business. I don't agree that this should enter into the equation.
    I'm not saying we should ask them

But they should be able to afford staff

Either I am saying it or I am not, there's "kind of saying it"

I didn't say it.

Now I know why these threads are always full of the same few, because people can't be arse to post their views because it is inevitable what comes next..

I'm not saying we should ask them

Either I am saying it or I am not, there's "kind of saying it"

I didn't say it.

Now I know why these threads are always full of the same few, because people can't be arse to post their views because it is inevitable what comes next..
    You implied it, 'businesses will close their doors', as if a living wage calculation should take that into account. Anyway, stop being such a softy, you asked me for my views, I gave them to you.

But they should be able to afford staff
    Okay, I have a great business idea but to make it work I will need to pay my staff £3 an hour. Can we lower the minimum wage please? I won't be able to afford staff unless you do.

You implied it, 'businesses will close their doors', as if a living wage calculation should take that into account. Anyway, stop being such a softy, you asked me for my views, I gave them to you.

Okay, I have a great business idea but to make it work I will need to pay my staff £3 an hour. Can we lower the minimum wage please? I won't be able to afford staff unless you do.
    Like I said. It's no wonder these threads are filled with the usual suspects each time.

You sir are an arsehole.

Like I said. It's no wonder these threads are filled with the usual suspects each time.

You sir are an arsehole.
    What is your problem? It's a hypothetical question, I answered your one.

It's a race to the bottom with this bloke

Thatcher would be proud of him

Oh yes isn't the free market great

Gosh the tories are increasing the minimum wage

But wait ......the people who clearly support them are restless !

Flipping unskilled workers .......if their wages are going to be increased then what about me ? I do a far more important job than cleaners , cooks , carers !

And so it goes on

The Tories are making sure they look after or appear to looking after those that gave them their vote at the last election

But they will soon crap on them from a great height , it's what they do

Bring in incapacity benefit for people affected by years of heavy industry .......then wage a war on them a few decades later to get them in line

Flog em cheap council houses then offer them nothing when they lose their job and fall behind with the mortgage

It's what they do , the axe will soon fall

That sounds like a good thing to me

It's what Capitalism thrives on. They have nothing to worry about if we are all blaming each other for our differing degrees of misery. The hospitality industry is taking a hit, and good in my opinion. They've been ripping off workers and using them casually for years. People don't want to do these shitty jobs without breaks, early mornings, low satisfaction levels etc. And still some of theses bosses can be heard saying that people just don't want to work, they don't realise that it's them that have 'Made their bed'
    Just to make this a 14-pager..

What system is better than capitalism?

Just to make this a 14-pager..

What system is better than capitalism?
    An Ecosystem.

Feedback

I remember a few years back when Labour proposed increasing tax on those earning over 80k and this board was full of people saying '80k doesn't go far in London', now £13 an hour is raking it in, what has changed?
    My experience of working in London tells me workers there accept the long commute is part of life. I'm not saying it's right, but many people who work in London don't live there.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Perhaps they should retrain ?

Truck drivers are earning 40-50k per annum at the moment. Another skilled job...
    There's a glut of pilots at the moment as the industry collapsed during the pandemic.